Library empty after update

Roon Core Machine

Roon Server, Ubuntu Server, Mac Mini X86

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

more than 20.000 tracks

Description of Issue

I just started Roon and accepted the Update. Now 2.0 is installed, it took a while to modify the library, but now the library is completely empty.

Files are existing. The paths in Roon are configured. Qobuz is working.

Indicator shows 0 artists, 0 albums, 0 tracks, 0 composers.

Don’t tell me I have to setup the library from scratch. I had to do this some years before with an older version!

Same here, files exist, NAS is ok. But Roon is showing no albums since yesterday.

@Roon: Are you listening? I cannot use Roon because your update mechanism erased the whole library!

Go to Roon - Settings - Storage and see if your watched folder is still correct.

All folders are still there and active. “Force Rescan” does not change anything.

Adding a new (previously unused) folder works. Albums appear as usual.

@Joerg-Volker_Mueller Try powering everything off, not a reboot, then power up one at a time, include your router and any network switches in the power off.
If unsuccessful it may be db corruption?

I can try that, but the files are on a local SSD - no NAS. Rebooting did not change anything.

Looks more like a corrupt database or an error during the database update/rebuild.

@Joerg-Volker_Mueller Do you have a tested backup of the db you can try restoring?

It should show the number of imported files.

Is the local SSD inside the core or an external USB.

If so how is it formatted, V2 had driver updates , strictly the Roon OS

Have you rebooted everything including network?

What is your most recent db BU, If recent you can clear the db and then restore

Do you have a tested backup of the db you can try restoring?

Yes, I have a backup of Version 2.0, build 1154. Restored it: 0 albums. Cleaned up the library (there were several findings): 0 albums.

It should show the number of imported files.

All the old folders (10) show “Watching for new files in real time”. “Force Rescan” does not work. Disable/Enable does not work.

Is the local SSD inside the core or an external USB.

Local.

If so how is it formatted, V2 had driver updates , strictly the Roon OS

Roon has no problems reading the data: Adding a formerly unused folder with 3 albums works perfectly. It shows “46 tracks imported”.

Have you rebooted everything including network?

Powered down the machine. Cold reboot. The network works.

What is your most recent db BU, If recent you can clear the db and then restore.

“db BU”? How do I clear & restore?

I just tried removing one of the storage locations and restored. 0 albums.

Okay, I fixed the problem.

After updating the OS and reinstalling RoonServer I restored an older backup (September '22) which worked. The client has to be rebooted to reconnect with the restored server, however.

I then tried to restore the last backup before the problem occurred: 0 albums. Interesting, that even the 400 or so Qobuz albums were not shown as well!

So I restored a 3 weeks old backup and everything is well.

Somehow, the database was corrupt both in the live version and in the backup.

@Roon: Robustness of the database should be paramount! Why is there no error log? Why can’t the conversion algorithm say “everything converted, except …”?

Hi @Joerg-Volker_Mueller,

My apologies for the slow response.

I can take your suggestions to the table when I get an opportunity. Some form of the output of the error messaging (like we do for ARC) could greatly improve user self-service opportunities.

I’m glad you’re up and running though. A happy new year to you and yours.

Wes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.