Library not found but network is connected

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nucleus+ G2
OS version 1.0 build 186
Labs Software version 1.0 build 12
Server Software version 1.7 build 528

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Local Library (~87,000 tracks ALAC)
8TB WD HDD connected via USB to
iMac 32GB RAM and OS Mojave
This is also location of Roon backups

Local library shared over SMP network via MESH Google WiFi broadband
Speed test internet - 29Mbps DL, 3.8 Mbps UL

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Oppo UDP-205 via USB or WiFi (I use both connection types depending on DSP needs)

iPad and iPhone as remotes and as endpoints

Description Of Issue

On the morning of Monday April 13, my Roon remotes display the Roon Core showing following message:

“No Audio Devices Found” clicking the Manage Audio Devices does not show any options.

Settings/storage reveals my local library folder is connected but selecting Force Rescan does not work.

Qobuz and Tidal show as logged in but the Roon Core just spins the Roon logo instead of finding anything

Everything has been restarted. The Nucleus+ had difficulty rebooting on April 13, so I had to unplug the unit and replug it in. This allowed it to reboot.

Last successful backup lists as 3:06:25, but there is no date given. Looking in my iMac Roon Backup folder shows last backup today at 3:00 and one at Feb 21, 2020 (but the folders in that Feb backup date to Dec31, 2019)

Even during this week when there is no data or library to analyze, the following issue is still present and unchanged:

This Nucleus+ unit has an ongoing issue of a constant noise when in a stable state. The sound is not present when it is shut down. The sound of the unit during startup is different than the constant sound which can be heard from the listening position when it is on a top shelf and from 1 meter away when on a lower shelf. Video of the noise has been sent to Roon Support and troubleshooting has been attempted, but I have received a disappointing answer from Roon support to put it on a lower shelf to mask the sound at the listening position. I include this issue on this support ticket in case it is an important variable with this issue.

Bumping this issue

Hi @TuliaNonTroppo,

Thanks for pinging us regarding this issue. These symptoms sounded a bit strange, so I have gone ahead and activated diagnostics mode for your Nucleus and what this action does is automatically upload a log-set to our servers for analysis.

I spoke with our team today regarding their evaluation of the logs from your install. Sometimes, errors like the one you saw can be spurious, but unfortunately in this case they are seeing signs of low level corruption in your database.

This type of error is extremely rare for us and not one that we see often. Our database infrastructure is designed specifically to prevent this type of corruption, and we don’t take this class of issue lightly.

We’ve traced a few reports like this in the past to hard drive integrity issues but generally speaking, this means that Roon is reading information from your hard drive that is different from what was originally written, and the database is now unable to load properly.

What’s Next?

If you’ve been making regular backups, my advice would be to install Roon fresh on your Core machine, and roll back to one of your backups. You can install Roon fresh on your Core by using these instructions:

• Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • Restore your Nucleus database from a backup at least a week before the symptoms started occuring

If the database loads properly, your edits, playlists, tags, etc should be intact, and we can confirm everything is performing properly once it’s been restored.

If you do not have any backups, unfortunately you will need to start with a fresh database.

Again, this class of issue is extremely rare for us and you have our apologies for the trouble here.

I had to do a clean reset, as the Nucleus+ could not identify my backups from a USB drive I plugged into the back. Fair enough. I am hoping this gets rid of the constant sound that the Nucleus+ has made for months now.

Please see other support ticket for the video featuring the sound. Nucleus+ Chirping

As the Nucleus is building the new database, the sound is gone. It is when the Nucleus+ is in a static state that it is repetitive and constant, so I will wait until it completes its analysis and database building before I report back.

Thanks, Noris.

Christopher

1 Like

UPDATE: after two full days after database build, the sound I provided in the video is still not there. Perhaps the sound was connected to the corrupted database in some way.

Hopefully when future customers explain the unusual sound their Nucleus is making, my example can help Roon Support better troubleshoot the issue and even possibly anticipate database failure.

I will update this ticket if the sound returns.

Thank you

1 Like

Hi Noris,
The sound has returned on the Nucleus+. Every day since the newly built database, I would check to see if the sound returned, but last night was the first I heard it since the build. It is still that steady state sound that I captured in the video I linked to.

I know this isn’t a normal sound, as the first five days since build there was no sound outside of the usual sounds of a working solid state computer. I cannot imagine that since the Nucleus+ is advertised as being a silent unit that Roon would allow this type of constant noise. It sounds like it is hanging up on something as it is predictable and repetitive.

I have a support ticket in for the inability of the Nucleus+ to backup on my network, and perhaps this noise is tied to that, but if I have another corrupted database, I would like to know.

Thanks.

Hi @TuliaNonTroppo,

I’m not seeing any typical signs of database corruption at this time, but I do notice an issue with the backups, I will respond in the other thread you have opened with us.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.