Library refresh happening too frequently - stalling playback and causing connection issues

@nuwriy

I’m afraid this problem continues to plague my Roon experience.

A couple of further updates;

I was concerned that perhaps the issue was being caused by a faulty NAS drive, so I replaced the hard disk that was tethered to the GoFlex Pro drive and, eventually, removed both from the entire chain.

I purchased a new external HD which I copied all my music onto which is now attached via USB to my newly purchased Netgear Nighthawk router.

Yet, STILL the regular library refreshes persist! (Although, I have noticed that the refresh itself doesn’t last as long, however it still interrupts playback and renders Roon temporarily unusable).

So, that’s me now replaced both my router and my NAS drive in efforts to resolve this issue and I’m afraid that its still not resolved.

Any help appreciated.

I am having the same Adding Music to Library issues in Roon. It keep removing files and readding them. Constantly happening. Roon help has been quiet on my thread. No reply from them for over a month.

Hello @Alan_Ross, the QA team’s investigation from the previous set of logs pointed towards a networking issue which is why I wanted to test with another network setup to see if you could reproduce the issue.

09/22 18:22:29 Trace: [push] restarting connection (Unable to read data from the transport connection: A blocking operation was interrupted by a call to WSACancelBlockingCall.)
09/22 18:22:29 Trace: [push] retrying connection in 43398ms
09/22 18:22:29 Trace: [storage] [directory] extracting \\goflex_home\external storage\MUSIC HD\High Resolution\Elliot Smith\Elliott Smith - Elliott Smith Expanded 25th Anniversary Edition (1995, 2020) [FLAC 24-96]\Disc 2\05 - Big Decision (Live at Umbra Penumbra - September 17th, 1994).flac
09/22 18:22:29 Warn: [streammediafile] error reading stream: An unexpected network error occurred.

09/22 18:22:29 Warn: [storage] [directory] Failed to extract audio format from '\\goflex_home\external storage\MUSIC HD\High Resolution\Elliot Smith\Elliott Smith - Elliott Smith Expanded 25th Anniversary Edition (1995, 2020) [FLAC 24-96]\Disc 2\05 - Big Decision (Live at Umbra Penumbra - September 17th, 1994).flac': CorruptFile
09/22 18:22:29 Trace: [storage] [directory] extracting \\goflex_home\external storage\MUSIC HD\High Resolution\Elliot Smith\Elliott Smith - Elliott Smith Expanded 25th Anniversary Edition (1995, 2020) [FLAC 24-96]\Disc 2\06 - Condor Ave (Live at Umbra Penumbra - September 17th, 1994).flac
09/22 18:22:29 Warn: [streammediafile] error reading stream: An unexpected network error occurred.

09/22 18:22:29 Warn: [storage] [directory] Failed to extract audio format from '\\goflex_home\external storage\MUSIC HD\High Resolution\Elliot Smith\Elliott Smith - Elliott Smith Expanded 25th Anniversary Edition (1995, 2020) [FLAC 24-96]\Disc 2\06 - Condor Ave (Live at Umbra Penumbra - September 17th, 1994).flac': CorruptFile
09/22 18:22:33 Trace: [storage] [directory] extracting \\goflex_home\external storage\MUSIC HD\High Resolution\Fleetwood Mac\Fleetwood Mac - Deluxe Edition (24-96)\Disc 2\04. Rhiannon (Early Take).flac
09/22 18:22:33 Trace: [storage] [directory] extracting \\goflex_home\external storage\MUSIC HD\High Resolution\Fleetwood Mac\Fleetwood Mac - Deluxe Edition (24-96)\Disc 2\15. World Turning (Live from The Burbank Studios, Burbank, CA, 1-26-76).flac

Have you been able to test this issue with a mobile hotspot or another network to see if the same result is produced?

Hi @nuwriy

I explained when you enquired about that previously that I didn’t, at that stage, have access to another network. Since then I have however bought and entirely new router which I’ve subsequently set up, effectively starting a new network from afresh.

This, combined with the new NAS set up I’ve employed, has resulted in the issue slightly lessening in severity in terms of the time it takes for Roon to come “back online” after a library refresh happens, but it has not resolved the initial issue which is that library refreshes seem to be occurring with far more regularity than the once per 24 hour period that I’ve set in my Roon settings.

Hello @Alan_Ross, my apologies for missing that part. Let’s collect new diagnostics and compare them to the old set. Next time the issue occurs could you please reply here with another timestamp so I can collect a new report?

HI @nuwriy the issue has occurred today at 10.20 GMT

And again at 11.20 GMT

Hello @Alan_Ross and thanks for the timestamps! I’m enabling diagnostics now.

Great. Thanks so much!

Hoping we can get to the bottom of this.

Another recent issue (not sure if it’s connected or not) that I am encountering at the moment is Roon frequently losing connection to the core, but ONLY when I’m streaming Tidal content. When it’s files sourced from the NAS it rarely happens (unless the regular rescanning of files is ongoing!).

Hi @nuwriy

Any updates here? I’ve been wresting with this issue for months now and I’m keen to either get it resolved or, if not possible, sadly I’ll have to start looking for alternatives to Roon.

Hello @Alan_Ross, my apologies for the delay around the holidays. I spoke with the QA team and I wanted to know if it would be possible for you to try another device as the core temporarily to see if this issue can be reproduced.

Hi @nuwriy

Let me see if I can borrow a laptop from someone to try.

I guess it is possible that the core could be the problem here, however I’ve already upgraded my NAS and router to try and alleviate this issue and buying a new core would potentially put the cost of using Roon to a hard to justify level. Plus, I already bought a mini PC specifically to use as a Roon core.

Has anything come back from the last few attempts at gathering diagnostics?

Hello @Alan_Ross, yeah the QA team came back with a few things. Here’s why I asked about trying a different core:

This track points towards network instability, causing the scan to stutter:

09/22 18:22:29 Trace: [push] restarting connection (Unable to read data from the transport connection: A blocking operation was interrupted by a call to WSACancelBlockingCall.)
09/22 18:22:29 Trace: [push] retrying connection in 43398ms
09/22 18:22:29 Trace: [storage] [directory] extracting \\goflex_home\external storage\MUSIC HD\High Resolution\Elliot Smith\Elliott Smith - Elliott Smith Expanded 25th Anniversary Edition (1995, 2020) [FLAC 24-96]\Disc 2\05 - Big Decision (Live at Umbra Penumbra - September 17th, 1994).flac

09/22 18:22:29 Warn: [storage] [directory] Failed to extract audio format from '\\goflex_home\external storage\MUSIC HD\High Resolution\Elliot Smith\Elliott Smith - Elliott Smith Expanded 25th Anniversary Edition (1995, 2020) [FLAC 24-96]\Disc 2\05 - Big Decision (Live at Umbra Penumbra - September 17th, 1994).flac': CorruptFile
09/22 18:22:29 Trace: [storage] [directory] extracting \\goflex_home\external storage\MUSIC HD\High Resolution\Elliot Smith\Elliott Smith - Elliott Smith Expanded 25th Anniversary Edition (1995, 2020) [FLAC 24-96]\Disc 2\06 - Condor Ave (Live at Umbra Penumbra - September 17th, 1994).flac

09/22 18:22:29 Warn: [storage] [directory] Failed to extract audio format from '\\goflex_home\external storage\MUSIC HD\High Resolution\Elliot Smith\Elliott Smith - Elliott Smith Expanded 25th Anniversary Edition (1995, 2020) [FLAC 24-96]\Disc 2\06 - Condor Ave (Live at Umbra Penumbra - September 17th, 1994).flac': CorruptFile
09/22 18:22:33 Trace: [storage] [directory] extracting \\goflex_home\external storage\MUSIC HD\High Resolution\Fleetwood Mac\Fleetwood Mac - Deluxe Edition (24-96)\Disc 2\04. Rhiannon (Early Take).flac
09/22 18:22:33 Trace: [storage] [directory] extracting \\goflex_home\external storage\MUSIC HD\High Resolution\Fleetwood Mac\Fleetwood Mac - Deluxe Edition (24-96)\Disc 2\15. World Turning (Live from The Burbank Studios, Burbank, CA, 1-26-76).flac

They also noted that your current core is close to our minimum system requirements, so we wanted to see if a more powerful machine connected via Ethernet presented the same issue.

Hi @nuwriy

I’ll try and get a hold of a laptop this week and let you know when I set it up here so we can see if that helps.

Thanks for the info on the logs, however the ones there look like they predate my purchase of a new router and attached a hard disk to that directly as I’m no longer using that GoFlex drive identified in the logs.

Hi @nuwriy

That’s me borrowed a laptop to try a new core machine with which I have connected to my internet via ethernet. Fresh install of Roon and indexing of entire NAS drive.

I’d love to say everything is going well, but this new machine just seems to be throwing up even more issues and problems.

Issues are as follows;

• Regularly cannot connect to the core (Waiting for Remote connection) despite the core being on.

• Playback issues on Sonos Symfonisk (Roon has lost control of the audio device)

• 2 of my devices - both Raspberry Pi’s running RoPieee XL, one with a HiFiBerry Digi+ HAT and one connected via USB to a Topping E30 DAC - are regularly disappearing from the audio devices.

• Frequent Tidal drop outs (Tidal media is loading slowly) errors point toward network connecting issues, even in instances where the playback device is connected via ethernet.

I’ve not had the opportunity to identify whether the initial issue of library refreshes happening too frequently is apparent with the new core because I’m blighted by the various new issues above.

To summarise, to try and resolve the initial issue reported back in September 2020 I have, by the stage, now taken the following steps;

• Purchased a new network router to improve internet connection in case that was part of the problem

• Purchased a new NAS drive in case the original drive was part of the problem

• Rebooted the entire Roon system using a new core machine

I’m not sure that really leaves me with anywhere else to go!

Hello @Alan_Ross, that’s good information to have, thanks for trying the different core! Continuing with the different core, I’d like to try a few more things:

1. Please make sure the firmware on your new router is up to date
  2. Is the new core wired to the router via Ethernet?
  3. Could you try a fresh database temporarily with the improvements listed here and let me know the results?

Thanks again for your patience!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.