Library safety and integrity when using editing tools on running Roon library

Roon Core Machine

Roon 2.0 (build 1311) on Ventura, macOS 13.6.1

Am slowly going through my library (not huge: 200+ Albums) to tidy up and amend my Genres and Tags etc; also making some changes to the Title-Work-Part tagging.

Everything seems to be working as it should, without problems.

But - just to be sure - how safe is it really to edit tags in Yate (or any other tag editor for that matter) in situ?

I know that to change data in files I can:

1. quit Roon
  2. make a copy of the Album to be edited outside the directory where I store all my Roon files
  3. make the edits in Yate and save the files
  4. launch Roon again
  5. go to the Album Editor (in Roon) and Delete the ‘original’ from the library
  6. quit Roon again
  7. move the amended (edited in Yate) files back into the directory where I store all my Roon files
  8. relaunch Roon to re-import the files

It’d be so much quicker if I could safely:

1. leave Roon running
  2. load Yate and make the edits to the file in question
  3. save the changes in Yate; nb Roon is still running

Roon seems to immediately incorporate the changes - even without Rescan Album from the Album Editor; and I’m done!

But is that quicker method really ‘safe’, please?

Secondarily, I am aware of Settings > Library > Library Maintenance. Is that the only/best/necessary routine to keep Roon’s library in a ‘healthy’ condition, please… too good and important ever all to lose?

TIA!

Your “quicker” method is fine. I edit files directly in my library all the time.

If I am overlooking some risk, someone will certainly point it out…

2 Likes

Thanks, Doug. I was certainly hoping that everybody would say just that!

But, of course, you should have your music files backed up somewhere outside of Roon, and better yet, another copy stored off-site. And, back up Roon nightly if you do a lot of edits, etc.

1 Like

I’ve done the same for years without issue. :+1:

1 Like

Another “hot editor” , you can edit the Tags inside audio files while still in the Roon Watched folder, Roon just catches up.

Since I went ROCK I do it slightly differently , I have all my files on a 4Tb HDD in my main PC , this is the source for JRiver. I make any changes I need, (using JRiver, Tag & Rename or MusiCHI Tagger) then re-import into JRiver.

This is the first level of BU , I copy the entire library to 2 x 4TB USB drives as well - belt and braces.

Finally, once I’m happy ,I sync the HDD with the 4Tb SSD in the ROCK with Roon live - “she” catches up :rofl:

1 Like

I would not do it. There is a chance of something happening because every time an update is saved you are constantly re-triggering a library rescan,

While it may work as it has for some, if you want to be completely sure, then do it the long way. As always there is your tolerance for risk vs convenience.

2 Likes

@Jim_F, Yes - many backups. But I don’t ever want to have to rely on them. Actually several times each day regardless.

1 Like

Thanks, @Rugby !

In order to be 100% sure I’ll take your advice. My tolerance for risk is low. This is all too important :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is 100% safe. Worst thing that could happen is Roon doesn’t pick up on a change. In that case, do a force rescan, which should be lightning quick.

1 Like

Four so far for safe; one for unsafe.

I’m quite happy to err on the side of caution.

Everyone’s input much appreciated.

1 Like

It seems to me that if you’re constantly moving/copying/deleting files via the “safe” method then you’re increasing the chances of making a file management error, which can be equally damaging to your data.

As several have noted, best advice is that, however you choose to make edits, be sure to have good backups in multiple places.

2 Likes

But what are you suggesting he back up? His music files? (Roon only reads them; it doesn’t write to them) or his Roon database (which is the thing that is likely to be impacted/confused by the edits, and can easily be addressed with a force rescan operation)?

1 Like

I edit thousands of songs every day and force a rescan/restart the server hundreds of times, also every day. Used all platforms that way and never had an error. Of course I have backups.

1 Like

:face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:
And what do you do the rest of the day?
:nail_care:

2 Likes

I wonder the same…

3 Likes

@DDPS,

Thanks for your question! My chance to jump back in and clarify, which perhaps I should have done at first. My apologies :frowning: .

Potentially both: if I first (while Roon is not running) make a copy (in the Finder, in my case) of the files to be edited - say on the desktop; then launch Roon and Album Edit > Delete that folder and its files; quit Roon and then make the edits; launch Roon and re-import them/it, I believe I can be 99% sure that the Roon database retains it integrity (though please see this thread - which may be describing an unrelated phenomenon); and 100% that (pace @Doug_Wieringa’s point about file management: I’m extremely careful and so have multiple backups) my files are 100% safe.

Whereas if I ‘hot edit’, I am also 100% happy about my raw files (for the same (multiple backups) reason); concerned that I’m maybe circumventing some Roon (unknown to me) process by editing live files in Yate.

@Mark_Sealey I can assure you, million dollar sure, that editing files while Roon is accessing them will not cause issues with your music files. The only risk is that Roon can get temporarily and fixably confused. This is because Roon only reads files, and never writes to them. If Roon were writing to your files, then yes, your fear would be justified.

You can’t ruin your files this way any more than you can influence Patrick Mahomes by yelling at your TV. Your TV is just a one way view into a football game. Roon is that way with your music collection.

2 Likes

@DDPS - understood completely. Thanks. As you say (and I know) reading files cannot ‘hurt’ them.

So I guess I should be clear: could having the Roon database open while I edit a file which is in its Album cache or list cause corruption to the database?

Nope. It’s fairly dummy-proof. The very worst thing that can happen is that Roon skips a file you are working on and it has “old”/outdated information in its own database. Then a force rescan fixes it, 100% of the time. It’s always a transient, not a fatal, error.

1 Like