Licensing question for multiple homes

I have 3 home locations that I intend to have ROON servers. I will not be in any of them at the same time. The license should transfer to each location with each sign in, correct? I do not need 3 separate license … My installer told me he couldn’t test nucleus cause he got a “license in use” error or something like that … can you please clarify … thank you!

Yes you can transfer.

You can have the Roon core software loaded on multiple computer devices, but only one is activated at a time. You go into the Roon Settings - General to tell Roon which core device is active.

As stated in the other replies, you only need one licence you intend to use one location at a time. I suspect your installer got this message because your account was active in two locations. I suggest you logout of Roon where you are while the installer does his thing. Go to Settings > Account and log out. (Using Settings > General to change Core only works if you’re on the same network.)

Thank you this is very helpful. However, can I clarify two issues please?

1. If I “sleep” a computer will that automatically show as 'logged out" core?
  2. If I forget to log a core out in one location is there any way to do it remotely since the settings/account/log out function “only works if you’re on the same network.”

It seems to me that if I log in to a core in location two while logged into location one it should offer me the option to disconnect from any other core and use the current one?

1 Like

Every time I login to one core it automatically logs out of the old core… not that I do it very often :+1:

I’m curious about how you’d keep all three cores synced up. It seems to me there is more involved than logging out of one core and logging into a core in another home. Would you need to do a backup on your current active core, then update the core in another home? Would that included adding any new albums that are physical files you own and recently added to the core of at the other location? Is there a step by step guide to help walk through what needs to be done?

You don’t necessarily need to keep your multiple cores in sync. However, if you want to, you would have to backup the core you are currently using and do a restore on the other core when you use it. You would need to do the same for your music files if you want to keep them in sync.

Seems to me, it might be easier to take your Roon core device with you to the other location.

Good idea, Jim. Thanks. On another note, what happened to the Roon 3 pack license deal? There used to be an option when logged in and looking at my profile to buy a 3 pack for a discount. It seems that has gone away. Does anyone know what happened there?

We ended the 3-pack deal back in April, sorry I don’t have better news for ya!

Regarding the question of one Roon license and more than one home, it is my understanding that it is okay to be logged on to one core at a time, and not more, at any one of several sites. True? Is it also the case that logging on to one of those cores automatically logs off any other that may be logged in? Is that the case if one of them is a Roon Nucleus that is always running? If Qobuz is subscribed do the same answers apply to the use of that streaming service?

True

Is it also the case that logging on to one of those cores automatically logs off any other that may be logged in?

Not automatic - you’ll get a notification that you need to deauthorise the other Core. Saying yes, will remotely deauthorise the remote Core and authorise the Core that you are currently using.

Is that the case if one of them is a Roon Nucleus that is always running?

Yes, the Core will still be running, but it is not authorised, so Roon will not be active on it.

If Qobuz is subscribed do the same answers apply to the use of that streaming service?

No. Qobuz is a separate service and the Qobuz app or the Qobuz web player can be accessed from any device that you login to Qobuz with.