Lifetime price increase, $499 -> $699

You wouldn’t say that if you saw what my DIY skills are like…

1 Like

Really? How is that possible? All Music Guide or Rovi charge differently, depending on whether Roon hands out annual or lifetime subscriptions?
Anyway, Roon will probably not tell us :wink:

And a year late, so far, and I’m not sure how broad their non ps hardware support will be.
From the demos on the web it looked like they were trying to blend the roon experience with the traditional column lists and filters approach which might appeal to the traditionalist.

It’s probably a different scale for annuals versus lifetime. Think it was posted somewhere on the site before.

1 Like

500th post in this threat. Congratulations.

6 Likes

lets let it get to 699 and then kill them both :smiling_imp:

8 Likes

This was the comment that I was thinking of:

He does say “some”, so it may not apply to all licensing costs (unless things have changed since the comment was posted).

2 Likes

Thanks Geoff, that is the one I had seen as well.

I bought the nucleus because of the home automation features you provide only with the nucleus.

I would have loved it if you tried harder and released those features for 3rd party hardware. Even as a paid addon. Then you could have avoided the Nucleus !!!

1 Like

If you qualify, they’ll get to you. They are a day or two backed up due to the volume of the requests.

See post #469 in this thread.

Respect. You have quite a good memory. The post was from mid 2015. thx

To keep speculating on my part; my guess is that lyrics data are the smaller part of licensing costs. Lots of lyrics can be found online for free. The large part will probably be for the album reviews?!

1 Like

Lots of lyrics can be found online on ad-supported websites, or, possibly, from ad-supported websites that reproduce copyright protected work (lyrics) without paying the content owners. Same applies to the rest of the metadata. Just because you can access say, MusicBrainz, from your browser doesn’t make the considerable work it took to build it, and the expense it takes to maintain it free to use for commercial entities, and that’s… normal.

The demo is down as far as I can tell, but if it was indicative of anything, and memory serves, RoonLabs can sleep on their two ears. It was obviously a remote server, and with no local app to make a fair comparison, but the screenshots I’ve seen since reinforce my initial feeling.

To put it in car terms, it felt a bit like this Chevy Blazer with a Fiero made to look like a Ferrari tacked on top. The pricing, of course, would make this not entirely representative, because it misses the reflective gold vinyl wrapping to the Fiero. It’s too bad, because Roon having real competition would be good for everyone.

You are completely right about lyrics, ads etc.

However, I am sure one cannot easily find album reviews done by All music guide as an example. Therefore, my guess is those are more expensive to obtain.

Yep, very likely.

Those took real people to write. One thing I’d love to see is the same for languages other than English, but I’m not sure if such databases exist, or even if it’d be economically feasible in a way that’s user friendly. Think of the poor French for example, who don’t have proper reviews of Johnny Hallyday’s oeuvre.

1 Like

As a kid I owned the all music guide Jazz as a book. I loved it and could browse through it forever. I appreciated the reviews by Scott Yanow and his insights. I still like his reviews best for Jazz. It must have been lots of work to write all of these reviews, so I hope Roon is paying accordingly. also, I am wondering if these reviews are ever updated? Probably not.

The sad reality is that in all likelyhood, the people making money off of those reviews are the content owners. The writers conceivably did it for pennies a word (here’s the data for Pitchfork, that’s Music and Musicians, AllMusic isn’t in there), and it’s very possible they had to sign off their rights as part of their contracts.

1 Like

Was not sure if a liftime was for me so took a year but now i am sure to cancel after a year. We have a name for this in the Netherlands it is called “graaiers”

1 Like

That would present difficulties if/when it happens with Roon - don’t update your PC/NAS/tablet/phone if you want to keep using the Roon app.

they are updated all the time! However, it takes time to write about new content, especially in a meaningful way.

For example, here is a new line added to the Tool biography on the release of a new album after 13 years. I’m sure that after some time, once this incredible album has been properly digested, this will expand beyond 1 line:

3 Likes