Linn Akurate DSM disappearing from Roon after installing new Ansuz Acoustics network switch

Roon Core: Antipodes Edge
Router: Netgear Orbi with two satellites
Streamer: Akurate DSM wired into network
Amp: Classe Sigma AMP 2
Speakers: B&W 803s
Network switch: Ansuz Acoustics A2

I recently replaced my network switch from a Netgear to the Ansuz Acoustics A2. I previously was experiencing this issue with the Netgear: Roon doesn't keep track of what Linn DSM is playing

The Ansuz solved that issue but created another one which is worse. I will be playing a song and the music will suddenly stop and the Linn DSM will completely disappear from Roon. It is not the server because my Sonos equipment still works fine when this happens. The Linn DSM disappears completely from Roon for a good 5-10 mins (even though the device is still on and showing on the display the song it was playing before it stopped) and then it re-appears and works fine for a while. It usually happens when I just start playing music.

@support

If you put the netgear back in, does this problem stop and your original issue return?

Hi @Joe_Kenney,

Does the Ansuz Acoustics switch support “Green Ethernet”? If so, I would try turning this feature off. Testing the old Netgear switch as per @Rugby’s suggestion is also a good one, just to re-confirm that it’s just the switch that’s causing this behavior.

Yes, when I switch back to Netgear, that problem (disappearing from Roon) stops. So far, I haven’t had the first issue re-appear with the Netgear either. I just updated the software on the Antipodes server. So it may have solved that one.

How would I turn the Green Ethernet feature off? I’m not familiar with that term.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @Joe_Kenney,

Glad to hear the old switch is now working as expected!

I couldn’t find much information on the Ansuz switch you listed, but if it is a managed switch, you can typically configure it via the Web Interface or it might have a physical Green Etherent button. Our Networking Best Practices Guide also provides some more info in case the switch is managed:

Managed Switches

Managed switches can be very robust, but they are often designed for professional installation, so in many cases the out-of-box configuration is not right. If your switch has a “flow control” setting, please make sure that it is enabled. Also, make sure that the switch is not performing any sort of throttling that might impact communication between cores, storage, remotes, and/or audio endpoints. Finally, ensure that the switch is configured to pass multicast and broadcast traffic. If in doubt about any of this, try temporarily replacing your managed switch with a “dumb” switch to see if things improve.

Thanks Noris. The Ansuz is not a managed switch. I checked with the dealer. I am now trying both: the Netgear from the router and then everything else going into the Ansuz.

1 Like

PS: Using both didn’t solve anything. The Linn Akurate is still disappearing from Roon. Interestingly, when it disappears it takes another Linn device I have on the network, a Sneaky DSM, with it. They both come back after 5-10 mins. My Sonos gear is not affected when this happens. So it seems to be something specific to Linn in combination with the Ansuz.

Do you have fixed ip addresses assigned in your router for the Linn devices? I found this stopped occasional dropouts with my Linns.

Thanks Anton. I’ll try that.

Hi @Joe_Kenney,

Yes, you can try using a Reserved IP for your Linn devices, that might help if they were switching IPs at the time you noticed the issue.

In case this is related, I would also make sure you have IGMP settings configured correctly on your Orbi.

Networking Best Practices Guide

Netgear Orbi Routers

If you’re making use of an Orbi router, we recommend unchecking Disable IGMP Proxying in your router’s settings. This setting can interfere with the ability for Roon Remotes to connect to the Roon Core.

Thanks. I have made that change as well now. Hopefully it solves the issue.

1 Like

Reserving IP addresses for the LINN devices and changing the setting on the Orbing router seems to have solved the issue. Thanks for the help.

Interestingly the first issue I mentioned in the original post persists. Roon doesn't keep track of what Linn DSM is playing
But that one is not nearly as annoying as the device disappearing altogether. So I can live with it.

1 Like

Hi @Joe_Kenney,

Glad to hear that my suggestions helped resolve the issue for you here!

Yes, we are aware of this issue and we have an active ticket with our technical team + Linn regarding it.

Good to know. Thanks again.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.