Linn Devices only showing up as AirPlay with QNAP Core after updating to build 1148 [Update Roon to Build 1154 (Linux Release Only)]

@gTunes, thanks for the link to Walkthrough : Roon in a Docker container on Synology DSM 7 with detailed instructions to set up Roon in a Docker container using QNAP Container station and the image created by @Steef_de_Bruijn .

I can confirm that it is working with Linn Subnet Streaming available! The container creation procedure has changed a bit since you created the docs, so here is what I picked:

• I started by creating a fresh backup of my existing QNAP package Roon core. Then I stopped and removed the QNAP Roon package.
  • On my TS-453D, I have 8GB of RAM, so I decided to give Roon ample space but to leave something reserved for other services, just in case: I picked 80% CPU Limit and 4096 MB of RAM.
  • Under Environment, the screens in the how-to showed more variables and I was unsure what to do at first. Since your description mentioned to only add TZ for the timezone, I did exactly that and picked Europe/Berlin as that is the best match for me. The other environment variables showed up similar to your instructions after I started the container.
  • Under Network, I selected “Network Mode” = “Host”.
  • Nothing to be configured under Device.
  • Under Shared Folders, I set up my existing backup folder, existing Media folder, existing RoonData folder with the path names you have in the how-to (/backup, /music, /data, respectively). I created a new folder for “/app” on the NAS as well. In my case, I put the new folder in a shared folder I already had.

Once that was done, my Roon Remote app was pretty quick to show the Core in the container. I had trouble connecting until I force stopped the app on my phone. Then I was able to connect and had to login, unauthorize the old core. Then I set a few things up the way they were:

• Automatic backups
  • Import media
  • Configure Linn Subnet (yay!)
  • Setup Display on my Nvidia Shield Chromecast
  • a few minor other things

Feels so good to be back with Linn Streaming.
You deserve a ton of credit for leading us into the light! I think the odds are pretty good that this setup will be less likely to break.

Note: I knew how Docker containers worked in theory before but never actually used one for real. It’s not too hard - so give it a shot!

3 Likes