Feature request: Linn DS support in Roon [done in 1.5]

Linn support is on our list. We do not have an ETA. There are many projects active right now. We will have a better idea of when this is scheduled once RoonSpeakers + Headless Linux builds go out the door.

what’s your global planning on the RoonSpeakers ?
And would that be an option for Linn ?

I can’t see why we wouldn’t want Linn to implement the RAAT (RoonSpeakers) SDK, or why it would be technically impossible for them to do it. Our goal is to get RAAT into as many devices as possible.

Thanks Brian

Now that is good news. I have been following Roon since I first heard about it, but waiting to try it out until my Linn DS can function as a Roon speaker.

What Brian may be too diplomatic to say is that it is up to Linn to do this. Get on the Linn forums and ask them what their Roon plans are.

you can see there response above, in my opinion it works two ways Andrew.
The ball is at both parties @Linn because quit frankly there front end is not on par with Roon.
You can go over at Linn stated as much in the roon topic

Roon took my one year subscription a little bit of effort towards Linn wouldn’t hurt no one.
Roon is nice but currently it’s pretty useless to me.
Which is of course my own fault i could have waited a bit longer before getting on board but i wanted to support Roon.

Thanks Michael, I had missed that earlier in the thread. I think all those questions can now be answered between Linn and Roon. Hopefully they are talking to one another.

Sounds me me like they are talking but not working together. Roon wants Linn to use RAAT Linn is saying I have no information on it so I can’t do that and anyway we already have Songcast and Roon can use that. Roon has tried to get Songcast working but ran into some difficulties and anyway strongly believes RAT is a technically better solution and is putting it effort into that first but one day will get back to Songcast support.

Well I think Songcast will be the only short term solution for Linn DS owners to fully appreciate Roon. That is if Roon can sort out their initial technical issues with it. From reading between both Linn and Roon forums, Linn do not appear to be really interested in pursuing Roon Speakers, as essentially the technolgy between RAAT and Linn’s use of Openhome compete with each other. I would suggest as customers of Linn you urge them to give you a music control interface you actually want. After all, you/we have made a substantial investment in their audio products. I know, I had, but gave up after several years of waiting for the control interfaces to match the excellence of the hardware…

Anyone else having issues with Linn SongCast (the Windows software, not the protocol) not “catching” the audio played on the PC with Roon?

I can’t seem to get the audio being played on my PC’s soundcard to stream to my Linn DS. All other audio sources on the PC (say youtube tab on a browser) does play nicely via SongCast but Roon stubbornly keeps playing on the PC only.

@Gufi, Put songcast on and output on roon should be “system output” this will work. Songcast from roon directly won’t work not under Mac or windows 8.1/10 I’ve tested both.

Other solution is to use HQPlayer linked towards songcast aldo the output will still be 44khz/24 bit on mac.

The new Airplay does not work (stutters, drop outs)

@Michael_Schilder I did try that but for some reason once the SongCast is enabled, the choice for “System output” is no longer listed. If I go to the “Audio Setup” in Roon, I can see that “System Output” is grayed out with the text “Failed: Audio Device Not Found. This audio device will play out the system’s configured default device”.

If SongCast is disabled, then “System Audio” is once again listed as a choice in the “Zones” list and in “Audio Setup”.

I wonder if the integrated audio driver for my PC’s motherboard is somehow refusing to cooperate in this setup.

I can’t help you out on this issue sorry m8.
Try to use the HQ player setup which works excellent with songcast :smile:

Just a quick note to revive this topic. It would be great to get Roon working well with the Linn DS platform, whether via SongCast support in Roon or RAAT support on the part of Linn.

I’m a lifetime Roon subscriber, but have Linn DS devices in multiple rooms (including a DSM that cannot be replaced since it is feeding an Exakt crossover) and currently am disappointed to have to choose between the great Roon interface versus the superior sound quality (and volume control) currently available only from an OpenHome control point like Kazoo. Now that Squeezebox support and RAAT have been released, is there any chance we could see some motion on the Linn front?

(I’ve also posted about this on the Linn forum, in the interest of equal opportunity harassment.)

Equal opportunity harassment is a good start, but ultimately the ball is in the manufacturer’s court. Roon has published a Software Development Kit (SDK) and made it available without licence fee to all manufacturers. Roon (Hi @brian !) will also test and assist manufacturers to make their devices RoonReady. The first step along that path is for the manufacturer to pick up the phone and call Roon. In some cases there have been discussions with manufacturers but a relationship hasn’t developed. I don’t know if that is the case with Linn or not.

The best thing we can do as consumers is to ask our favourite manufacturers what their plans are regarding Roon and get all our friends to ask them too. Ask early and ask often !

No real disagreement here. I would love to see Linn implement RAAT, which is why I am also nagging them on the Linn forum. That said, there are really balls in each court in this case, since Liinn also make their Songcast code freely available for implementation. I’m not complaining – I think the Roon team is doing an amazing job and everyone has different priorities, but having moved from Squeezebox to Linn years ago, support for Songcast would be a much more valuable feature to me than Squeezebox support, which was recently (and impressively) released. In any event, I just meant my post as a gentle reminder and demonstration of interest in support for Linn, not as a complaint about Roon’s approach to working with hardware manufacturers or development priorities. I imagine I am not the only one who believes Roon and Linn would be a great combination.

I don’t think this is going to happen to be honest. Linn points at Roon and vice versa.
I gave up on the Linn forums.

I hope you’re wrong…and haven’t given up hope yet. If the Roon team found time to support Squeezeboxes, which are no longer sold, I have hope they will also find a way to get Linn support worked out, given that this is a vital platform and a natural Roon user base.

I also am confident Roon will provide Linn any support required to implement RAAT in Linn DS devices, if Linn can be prevailed upon to ask for the support.

Hope springs eternal…

I’m not a Linn user but it does seem to be a bit of a match made in heaven, much more the demographic that would purchase Roon, one would think.

SJB