Linn klimax DS/1 or Lumin T2

Considering a new purchase and wondering if anyone has any thoughts. Can purchase a second hand DS/1 for similar price to the T2 and have the option later to upgrade to Organik. Has anyone compared sound quality of the DS/1 to a T2?

1 Like

I donā€™t know anything about Lumin T2, but I can say that Organik is on a different plane than earlier Klimax streamer/DACs. The previous Katalyst DAC was good, but a bit too ā€œpoliteā€ for my liking. Organik brings out all the grit and depth of an actual performance is a coherent spatiotemporal image, even at lower volumes. Iā€™ve listened to lots of systems and lots of pricey DACs, even own some for my headphone systems; Organik is in a class of its own.

Which is to say, comparing the DS/1 with the T2 if what you really want Organik seems a bit besides the point.

3 Likes

Have not compared, but Lumin T2 is absolutely top drawer Roon endpoint. Massive soundstage with the right material.

1 Like

If you want primarly use Roon, then I would prefer the Lumin (Iā€™ve only the Lumin U1 mini and the T2, but not compared with the Linn), because Linn isnā€™t Roon Ready (they are using there own protocol and not RAAT).

Linnā€™s integration with Roon works just fine for me - used all the time.

3 Likes

It does not matter, at least to me, whether a streamer or a DAC is Roon Ready or not, what matters at the end is which one sounds better.

2 Likes

As far as Iā€™m aware the only difference between Roon Tested and Roon Ready from a userā€™s perspective is that a Roon Tested item canā€™t be grouped in a multi-room setup with Roon Ready endpoints as it doesnā€™t use RAAT.
Weā€™ve been using Roon with our KDS for almost three years without issue. Itā€™s a huge step up from Linnā€™s control points.

Michael

PS The Organik upgrade is superb.

3 Likes

Lumin streamers are wonderful. I have owned the D1 and the A1. They sound fantastic.

I too have recently upgraded my KDS/3 to Organik. I never really warmed to Linnā€™s Katalyst, but as has already been said, Organik is on a different level. And at Ā£5400 for the upgrade, I consider it a relative bargain.

1 Like

So based on your experience how does LINN compare to LUMIN? What devices so far in your audio journey were you able to compare ?

Hi Markus,
Over the years Iā€™ve had quite a few digital sources in my setup.
My first ā€˜seriousā€™ streamer was a Lumin D1, which I had for a couple of years. I loved this streamer. Great sound, and a relative bargain at the price.
I than upgraded to a Lumin A1, which was leagues ahead of the D1. I always remember my thoughts as I heard this one for the first time in my system. It just felt like I was ā€˜hearing the master tapeā€™ at the time.
I than got into headphones. A necessity with a young child in the house! I eventually ended-up with a Chord Hugo TT2 and M Scaler stack, which sounded sublime, especially with RB 16/44.1 material. Used in ā€˜DACā€™ mode through the main system/speakers, I think this eclipsed the Lumin A1.
Owning a Linn system, I eventually picked-up a Katalyst Klimax DS/3. Unfortunately, this was a disappointment. It just didnā€™t ā€˜move meā€™ in the same way that the Chord stack did, and I was very close to getting rid of it. Thankfully, Organik upgrades were made available for legacy KDS streamers a few months ago, and I plumped for it. And Iā€™ve never looked back! Organik is probably some of the best digital Iā€™ve ever heard. So much so, I sold my Chord stack. Iā€™m now using a Chord Mojo/Poly for headphone listening, which is more than adequate for my occasional headphone listening.
I think in choosing between Lumin & Linn, it comes down to a matter of preference - both are great products. However, Lumin steamers are far more accessible and better VFM. I think Lumin streamers are sensibly priced, and Linn prices are a bit higher than they should be IMO.
The only thing that rivals Organik is my Esoteric K-01X/G-02 combo. It has a huge sound.
Iā€™m still tempted to see what a U1/U2 Mini would do upstream from this combo :money_mouth_face:

3 Likes