Linn klimax DS/1 or Lumin T2

Considering a new purchase and wondering if anyone has any thoughts. Can purchase a second hand DS/1 for similar price to the T2 and have the option later to upgrade to Organik. Has anyone compared sound quality of the DS/1 to a T2?

I don’t know anything about Lumin T2, but I can say that Organik is on a different plane than earlier Klimax streamer/DACs. The previous Katalyst DAC was good, but a bit too “polite” for my liking. Organik brings out all the grit and depth of an actual performance is a coherent spatiotemporal image, even at lower volumes. I’ve listened to lots of systems and lots of pricey DACs, even own some for my headphone systems; Organik is in a class of its own.

Which is to say, comparing the DS/1 with the T2 if what you really want Organik seems a bit besides the point.

2 Likes

Have not compared, but Lumin T2 is absolutely top drawer Roon endpoint. Massive soundstage with the right material.

1 Like

If you want primarly use Roon, then I would prefer the Lumin (I’ve only the Lumin U1 mini and the T2, but not compared with the Linn), because Linn isn’t Roon Ready (they are using there own protocol and not RAAT).

Linn’s integration with Roon works just fine for me - used all the time.

2 Likes

It does not matter, at least to me, whether a streamer or a DAC is Roon Ready or not, what matters at the end is which one sounds better.

2 Likes

As far as I’m aware the only difference between Roon Tested and Roon Ready from a user’s perspective is that a Roon Tested item can’t be grouped in a multi-room setup with Roon Ready endpoints as it doesn’t use RAAT.
We’ve been using Roon with our KDS for almost three years without issue. It’s a huge step up from Linn’s control points.

Michael

PS The Organik upgrade is superb.

2 Likes

Lumin streamers are wonderful. I have owned the D1 and the A1. They sound fantastic.

I too have recently upgraded my KDS/3 to Organik. I never really warmed to Linn’s Katalyst, but as has already been said, Organik is on a different level. And at £5400 for the upgrade, I consider it a relative bargain.

1 Like