Linn Organik Upgrades Available

Yes, they connect via XLR from the KK/KDS/KDSM, one XLR per channel.

2 Likes

As @Martin_Kelly said. My other Linn Klimax system has 350 digital actives, upgraded to Organik. But the 350s were too bulky for the other location, and when we listened to the ATC from Klimax DSM SCM40As at my trusted Linn/ATC dealer, we were totally convinced that they would be a great fit for our setting and favorite genres (modern jazz and classical) compared with the Linn speakers we compared with that would fit. Actually, even compared with the 350s, we like the ATCs better for their dynamics and detail, but that could also be a consequence of the different spaces/layout. Both systems have been carefully set up with SpaceOptimization.

2 Likes

Hi Martin, I had a similar set up until last year. M140 driven by A4200 and a M5100 with a 10 channel Exaktbox. I agree the M140 punch well above their weight, especially - maybe only?- when driven active.

Then I found Dutch 8c. Unbelievable. Sold all the Linn (except the LP12, of course). Much simplier set up and beats the akubariks hands down for less money. I now left the Linn temple and will never look back.

2 Likes

The organik DAC upgrade is now also announced for Linn Selekt DSM.
Great news but why is the very same Organik Stereo Module USD or ā‚¬1000 more expensive when you buy it as an existing Selekt DSM owner in comparison to a complete new customer? That difference is outrageous!

@Dan_Rosen - I have a Linn Selekt DSM Surround (standard DAC). Do you know what it cost to upgrade to organik DAC?

I wasnā€™t the only customer who voiced his concern about the difference in price if you are a new or existing customer to upgrade your Selekt DSM. Meanwhile Linn reconsidered their pricing and now all modules cost the same, it doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s factory built in or upgraded later.
The stereo Organik module costs around ā‚¬ 3900.-
There is also a more expensive dual mono variant, but I didnā€™t hear anything about surround. Sorry. Only dealers will know for sure.

This is interesting @Dan_Rosen. Thanks for sharing it. Did Linn announce the price change publicly? I canā€™t find a price list on their site - Iā€™m curious what the cost of the Organik Selekt upgrade costs in USD. I have the upgrade on order from my dealer and would like to follow up if thereā€™s been a price reduction.

Thanks!

Only dealers distribute price lists publicly.
The confirmation I got I can share with a screenshot:

And by that single price it is meant that it is the lower one of the former two.

1 Like

I suppose thatā€™s good to hear. You would have been quite unpopular if your complaining had resulted in a price increase for upgrades!

Thanks for the info - the USD price previously shared with me was $4225. Weā€™ll see if itā€™s lower now.

This was the price list (in Euros) that started the complaint and later the reconsideration:

This list may be considerated as outdated. Did not yet find the new one, but should be the lower price (ā‚¬3930).

Linn Selekt DSM (Katalyst) is a user. If the Organik DAC is upgraded, will the old DAC be returned to the manufacturer?

Looking at the price of this upgrade, we should consider purchasing DCS Bartok DAC. I think it is much more powerful.

Thatā€™s a very substantial difference. The listed Dutch standalone price is quite a bit higher than the standalone US price. Perhaps VAT if such a thing exists between the UK and the Netherlands?

Whatever the case, my US standalone price falls in the middle. Iā€™m still waiting to hear if thereā€™s been a price drop that will benefit US customers.

I donā€™t believe so. I have two Selekts (one with Katalyst, one without). My dealer is going to replace the Katalyst board with the Organik board and then install the Katalyst into the other Selekt. Thatā€™s easier than reconfiguring / moving the units. There has been no talk of returning the Katalyst board. If there were an expectation or option for the Katalyst board to be returned, there would need to be prices for return and no return options since not all Selekts have the Katalyst board.

1 Like

@Greg_Friedman
Netherland has 21% of VAT.
Therefore end user prices will differ from country to country.

Dcs Bartok costs around $16K.
Much more expensive than a Organik.
The price is rather comparable with Denafrips Terminator or Holo audio May or Chord Hugo TT2

My Organik-upgraded KDS is clearly superior to a Chord Hugo M Scaler/TT2 stack. Iā€™ve now sold my HMS/TT2.

Organik is probably the best digital Iā€™ve heard.

3 Likes

For the price, an Organik board fitted to a used KDS is a steal in terms of the sound quality. I happened to already have a Katalyst KDS when Organik was released for legacy KDS(M)'s, so only had to pay for the Organik board, and my feedback to the dealer was that Linn had under-priced the upgrade - itā€™s sensational.

1 Like

I owned my KDS/3 from new, but never really ā€˜warmedā€™ to Katalyst. I was actually close to selling it.

But thank God I didnā€™t. Organik is on a whole different level :smiley:

2 Likes

I hope that the perceived jump in sound quality transitions from Klimax to Selekt at the same level. I couldnā€™t yet listen to Organik DAC.
More testimonials are apreciated.

2 Likes

I canā€˜t comment on the Selekt but I traded my old KDSM3 System Hub for the new Hub and the difference was amazing. I am still waiting for an Organik upgrade for my active Akubariks.

4 Likes