Linux Roon Control GUI Please [not on roadmap, you may try to use Wine]

I’ve migrated away from Windoz to Ubuntu as my primary desktop OS and all it is missing is the beautiful Roon Player. The Linux install base is growing every year. I seems like the OSX client could be used as a code starting point for the Linux client because OSX was built on BSD Linux. Anyone else out there like to have a Linux Roon client?

1 Like

macOS is build on Darwin - a BSD kernel derivative. It is NOT a Linux kernel.

macOS uses their own graphics user space API (Cocoa). Modern Linux desktops primarily use Qt (KDE Plasma, LXQT) or GTK (Unity, Gnome, XFCE).

macOS uses BSD style posix user space tools. Linux systems use GNU style user space tools.

And there are many, many other core differences that matter to developers. Using macOS desktop applications as a basis for Linux development is about as useful as using Windows desktop applications as a basis for Linux development.

1 Like

BSD = UNIX
Linux = … Linux
:smiley::stuck_out_tongue:

If Roon could have a webUI more like RompR, it would be awesome.
Only reason I haven’t dropped Roon for RompR is the Audeze DSP :stuck_out_tongue:

Link or how to?

I’ve long wanted a Linux based Roon UI. My core sits on a qnap NAS which in all other respects I use as a regular pc to browse, watch video etc.

Am aware of the Roon extension possibility but setting it up looked a bit beyond my limited (I.e. zero) command prompt type ability …

Taking the view internet/ mobile driven Roon is in the works and this is all we really need to address the issue

Eagerly awaiting some kind of solution. As it stands, Roon is the only reason I’m still on Windows.

Web UI is the solution right now. Works perfectly fine.

I would very much like to see Linux desktop integration too. I wouldn’t shell out for Roon otherwise, not enough bang for the buck. For now MPD on RPi + DigiOne works perfectly fine and I’ve got heaps of native clients available: gui, curses, cli, your choice.

Just run the client under Wine because you can be sure there will never be a native Linux desktop client.

I’d love to have a native Linux roon GUI …
For now I use Wine & roon it works quite well but it’s not the best solution

1 Like

Yeah, but no thanks. I know I can run it under Wine or in a virtual machine but it’s all too clunky, malware compatible solutions. I’d rather hope for a Flatpak for example, a sandbox with all its dependencies. I know it’s difficult to prepare a package for all the various distros out there.

1 Like

I’d be quite happy for Roon to dictate what libs they need for a Linux desktop app to work, until then I run it using Wine on my Ryzen-based Linux workstation.

I would also like to see Roon make a native Linux client. I’m OK with it being native and/or wrapping an HTML front-end.

-F

I am just joined the Roon community and currently exploring the software. I also miss a GUI on Linux, or at least a web-based client. Is there any planning to improve this really great software with this mssing feature?

Thank you,
mdajp

Dear Roon,

I understand why this may not seem a priority for you, but it definitely feels like a missing feature to me. I’d love to have a dedicated, custom built front end running on a raspberry pi or similar with touchscreen display. The Roon Web Controller is great, and thanks to Mike_Plugge for his hard work on it, but it doesn’t yet give the same immersive feel as the official Roon GUI.

I wonder if you’ve considered pricing this work up and trying to crowd-fund it? That way you could let us, the crowd, decide if it’s worth doing; if we hit the target you can hire the programmers to do it, if we don’t you’ll at least be able to say you tried!

Just a thought. Thank you for the Music!

Ralph

1 Like

As stated earlier in this thread, try running the Windows version with Wine. I do that and it is fine. Fast, responsive and stable.

I also added Roon Bridge for local playback on my Linux laptop. The system is just as good as running on Windows.

Hi @eclectic,

Thanks for the suggestion, do you know if this works on a raspberry pi? I was under the impression the windows version wouldn’t run on an AMD chip, or am I wrong about that?

Thanks

No, I don’t think it would run on a Pi, it would be way below spec. My mistake. I skimmed your post and missed that bit.

I think you mean an ARM chip for the pi. It would run on AMD chips on a laptop or desktop. Roon Bridge runs fine on the Pi, but that doesn’t help you with your GUI issue…