Linux Roon server not playing high res files to Squeezebox [Fixed in 1.3]

• Yeah EDO installed, otherwise it would not be possible to play high res.
  • audio output indeed is digital only.

Those Roon settings are the same on my side, Iā€™m fresh out of ideas.

Youā€™re streaming server > sbt > coax out > DAC, nothing else in the mix, right?

Just for giggles try turn on digital vol control then set it to 100% and see if that changes anything,

nope.

right now testing from an VM with ArchLinux installed. Because it needs to be either my linux setup, or even hardware as a test with Roon from a MBP works.

[quote=ā€œspockfish, post:83, topic:14000ā€]or even hardware as a test with Roon from a MBP works.
[/quote] not sure what youā€™re saying here.

@evand I have FW 7.8.0 and EDO 0.9. So good there.

All my hi-res files are FLACs. I get the issue on 96K files as well as 192K. Itā€™s not linked to particular files. And the time of play before the problem is variable. As short as a few seconds and as long as half an hour or more. Once I get a failure to noise, it will only play for a few seconds and then fail again. So in that way, my symptoms are pretty similar to Egbert_Braamsā€™.

I see that Harry has the SBTā€™s volume disabled in Roon; my is enabled. So no joy there.

Pretty darn sure this is not network.

I have the issue on 96K files both with and without Digital-Only selected. So with and without the EDO kernel loaded.

[Shuffles off to compare the ffmpeg and avconv versions on the Kubuntu and Fedora systems. Life would be sweet if itā€™s something so simple. Any other candidates you can think of I would be thrilled to check.]

avconv isnā€™t installed on either machine.

Hereā€™s the return for ffmpeg on each machine. There is indeed a difference in the versions. Note the copyright date. Neither version is exactly ancient. Harry, what do you see?

[carl@Tux ~]$ ffmpeg
ffmpeg version 2.6.8 Copyright Ā© 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 5.3.1 (GCC) 20151207 (Red Hat 5.3.1-2)
configuration: --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --datadir=/usr/share/ffmpeg --incdir=/usr/include/ffmpeg --libdir=/usr/lib64 --mandir=/usr/share/man --arch=x86_64 --optflags=ā€™-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches -m64 -mtune=genericā€™ --enable-bzlib --disable-crystalhd --enable-frei0r --enable-gnutls --enable-ladspa --enable-libass --enable-libcdio --enable-libdc1394 --disable-indev=jack --enable-libfreetype --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame --enable-openal --enable-libopencv --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libv4l2 --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxvid --enable-x11grab --enable-avfilter --enable-avresample --enable-postproc --enable-pthreads --disable-static --enable-shared --enable-gpl --disable-debug --disable-stripping --shlibdir=/usr/lib64 --enable-runtime-cpudetect
libavutil 54. 20.100 / 54. 20.100
libavcodec 56. 26.100 / 56. 26.100
libavformat 56. 25.101 / 56. 25.101
libavdevice 56. 4.100 / 56. 4.100
libavfilter 5. 11.102 / 5. 11.102
libavresample 2. 1. 0 / 2. 1. 0
libswscale 3. 1.101 / 3. 1.101
libswresample 1. 1.100 / 1. 1.100
libpostproc 53. 3.100 / 53. 3.100
Hyper fast Audio and Video encoder
usage: ffmpeg [options] [[infile options] -i infile]ā€¦ {[outfile options] outfile}ā€¦

Use -h to get full help or, even better, run ā€˜man ffmpegā€™

carl@Kubuntu16virtual:~$ ffmpeg
ffmpeg version 2.8.6-1ubuntu2 Copyright Ā© 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 5.3.1 (Ubuntu 5.3.1-11ubuntu1) 20160311
configuration: --prefix=/usr --extra-version=1ubuntu2 --build-suffix=-ffmpeg --toolchain=hardened --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --incdir=/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu --cc=cc --cxx=g++ --enable-gpl --enable-shared --disable-stripping --disable-decoder=libopenjpeg --disable-decoder=libschroedinger --enable-avresample --enable-avisynth --enable-gnutls --enable-ladspa --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libcdio --enable-libflite --enable-libfontconfig --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libshine --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libssh --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx265 --enable-libxvid --enable-libzvbi --enable-openal --enable-opengl --enable-x11grab --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libiec61883 --enable-libzmq --enable-frei0r --enable-libx264 --enable-libopencv
libavutil 54. 31.100 / 54. 31.100
libavcodec 56. 60.100 / 56. 60.100
libavformat 56. 40.101 / 56. 40.101
libavdevice 56. 4.100 / 56. 4.100
libavfilter 5. 40.101 / 5. 40.101
libavresample 2. 1. 0 / 2. 1. 0
libswscale 3. 1.101 / 3. 1.101
libswresample 1. 2.101 / 1. 2.101
libpostproc 53. 3.100 / 53. 3.100
Hyper fast Audio and Video encoder
usage: ffmpeg [options] [[infile options] -i infile]ā€¦ {[outfile options] outfile}ā€¦

Use -h to get full help or, even better, run 'man ffmpeg

Then again, does RoonServer care about ffmpeg if itā€™s only streaming FLAC, rather than decoding it to transcode bit rates?

Not sure whether it sends FLAC or LPCM to the SBT, if itā€™s treated the same way as other endpoints it gets LPCM and ffmpeg is thus part of the equation.

One last thing you can try is to restore your SBTā€™s to factory settings and then to reapply the firmware and EDO updates. Iā€™m suggesting this because I recall that a handful of users over the years experienced a white noise issue using SBT and SB3 and in all cases a factory reset solved the issue.

Oh sorry, it was late already :wink:

I meant that on my side it could be a hardware issue, because my test with RoonServer running on a Macbook Pro and playing 192K content just works.

Okā€¦ Interesting.

Running RoonServer on my virtual ArchLinux I can play 192K content flawlessly.

On one hand good, on the other hand annoying because now itā€™s either the hardware box or the linux distro (openSUSE) in this case that Iā€™m running.

OpenSUSE never failed on me, and as Iā€™m running their rolling release (Tumbleweed) software versions are somewhat comparable to ArchLinux or even more recent.

I see 2 options for continuing this:

1. re-install my hardware box with ArchLinux
  2. create a new VM with openSUSE and re-test again

Try option 2 first.

In his masterā€™s voice:

1 Like

Roon transmits LPCM to Squeezeboxes.

ffmpeg is not used to decode FLAC (only for mp3/aac, because those require codec licenses).

The next major release of Roon wll support on-the-fly FLAC encoding for Squeezeboxes to reduce networking demand (at the expense of CPU usage on both sides doing the extra encode/decode) as a setting.

2 Likes

@brian We may be on the verge of an ā€œah ha!ā€ moment here. How does Roon do the FLAC to LPCM transcode? That may be a place to look. Is it an OS-provided component?

LMS has a user option to send native FLAC or transcoded PCM (WAV) from the server to the client. I seem to remember that there were issues with Enhanced Digital Output with PCM streams. In any case, I think prevailing practice was/is to send FLAC to the Touch natively. Thatā€™s the way my LMS was set to do it. Harry? Mind, this may be moot, because Roon is doing just fine running on Mac, Arch, and Ubuntu/Kubuntu, and itā€™s sending an LPCM stream in all those cases.

On a more general note, it appears that we are one or two experiments away from confirming that Harry and I can solve our own particular problems by rebuilding our servers on new OSes, or we can press on until we really figure this out. I see two things that argue against the first approach. For one: It would be, in my case anyway, an awful lot of just plain work. Two: It would leave the users and Roon with an unsolved issue that could easily bite again. I vote we keep going until we know whatā€™s going on.

For my part, Iā€™ll look to see if I have a Fedora 22 image, and if I do, Iā€™ll whip up a VM and weā€™ll see if it behaves any different from Fedora 22 on hardware.

@evand Yes, did that. So did Harry, I think. And I did quite a lot to pretty throughly eliminate client malfunction from suspicion. If this is something the client is doing, itā€™s something the client is supposed to be doing that just isnā€™t playing nicely, like maybe an inappropriately sized buffer or something.

[quote=ā€œCarl_Seibert, post:95, topic:14000ā€]
like maybe an inappropriately sized buffer or something.
[/quote]you didnā€™t ever experiment with all the sbt tweak toolkits that some did, did you?

We ship our own copy of libFLAC (libFLAC 1.3.1ā€“the current version). Iā€™m having a hard time seeing a relationship between the FLAC decoder and this issue, though.

My guess is, the ā€œfalling to staticā€ behavior happens when audio data doesnā€™t make to some part of the driver/hardware in time. Itā€™s in a class of symptoms that I generally associate with poorly written drivers (in this case, the audio drivers on the squeezebox). Symptoms like this point to a performance issue somewhere, but donā€™t indicate where, since the problem is happening at the far end of the chain.

Squeezebox streaming is TCP based, and flow control/buffering as well as hardware buffer size selection is all done within the SB Touch, so thereā€™s no buffer sizes to tweak in Roonā€™s world.

I think transmitting as FLAC might resolve this since it does shift performance costs around the system, and itā€™s also what LMS does (so that approach has a lot more hours of reliable use behind it). I canā€™t be sure because we havenā€™t pinpointed the cause of this issue yet, which is the case because we havenā€™t been able to produce those symptoms here.

The moment when we see the problem here, progress will become much easier and much more certain. What youā€™re doingā€“eliminating variables one by oneā€“is the best way to get to that point.

Weā€™re going to deploy the FLAC change regardless of what happens in this thread, so worst case, youā€™ll have something to try when that release comes out. Iā€™d be more comfortable if we could figure out how to reproduce this and be able to fully validate this as a fix sooner rather than later.

Cue the spooky Halloween musicā€¦

I built a Fedora 22 VM, no updates, just Fedora 22 straight from the ISO and I installed ffmep when the Roon install script complained about it. And it worked. No fail-to-noise, no missing queue entries. It just worked. (With some network issues) I donā€™t know whatā€™s more frustrating: when something doesnā€™t work thatā€™s supposed to or when something does that isnā€™t.

Then, just to make sure the planets hadnā€™t realigned, I went back to Fedora 22 directly on the hardware. And it failed. Instantly now.

What. The. Heck.

Harry mentioned hardware and I sort of dismissed the idea at the time because all the hostā€™s hardware is used by the VM. But and that was then and now is now. I think Harry is also making a VM with the same OS as his hardware. I guess weā€™ll see if the same strangeness happens there.

Short of something where the virtual hardware works and the real hardware doesnā€™t, the only (sort of) plausible explanation I can posit would be that something installed on the real machine, that isnā€™t on the clean VM, might be causing the issue. But I have no clue at all where to start looking.

Played around again with my hardware box, trying to understand what the difference is with the VM.
Iā€™ve become a little bit suspicious about my CPU freq scaling that I see on the hardware box, which is not present (for obvious reasons) on the VM.

On the hardware box the governor was set to ā€˜powersaveā€™ in stead of ā€˜ondemandā€™ or ā€˜performanceā€™. The latter is what I did. Now, it seems that it takes longer before the noise kicks in. The ā€˜seemsā€™ is because I donā€™t have hard evidence, and in the end the noise is still there.

Iā€™m going to investigate this more. Strange thing is that Iā€™ve monitored load extensively, and at no point in time my system is running out of breath, at least from where Iā€™m sitting.

Ah well, the story continues, but possibly only in the weekend.

Perhaps run memtest on your boxes and confirm your RAM is good.