List Your NUC Capabilities Here

Hi @Maxxim_M,
Thank you for your reply.
I’m sure it would work, but I would like to keep the costs down if I can. I’m actually looking for the cheapest nuc that would not limit me for my usage needs.

Hi @grossmsj ,
Thank you for the warm welcome!
Your reply points towards a simpler nuc, that I feel could be enough for me.
I think the I5 would a safe bet, if it is only 100 more. Ok for 8GB :+1:

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

Thanks @Jim_F,
I did read it, but according to this guide, I should go for an I7 when users report I5, even I3, are fine. That’s why I was wondering.
I think I’ll go for an I5, looks like a safe middle ground :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I bought a NUC model NUC8i7BEH, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB (OS), 2 TB SSD internal for music. I just doubled what ROON suggested for a power NUC. The hardware cost $987 and the lifetime ROON subscription was $700. Total cost $1,687. This setup is much more powerful than the Nucleus+ and it was $1,972 less expensive (I could have set up two cores for the price of the Nucleus+). I currently have over 16,000 tracks and play to four zones. My setup is overkill but then memory and storage are cheap. I do not plan on an upgrade for a long time. The only advantage the Nucleus has is that it is fanless. I do not hear my NUC and it is in my rack.

1 Like

Bravo @Jerald_Quist ,
I installed NUC in http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Fanless%20Chassis&type_sub=Fanless%20NUC&model=A-NUC45-M1B ,
is without fan

2 Likes

Get a 5i5 NUC. 128gb SATA M.2, 4gb or 8gb RAM. It is supported, will do everything you need it to do and you should be able to get it all second hand. Mine can upsample to DSD512 and is very stable running ROCK. Silent cases can still be had for that generation model. Performamce wise they are identical to a 7i3 NUC or regular Nucleus.

Hi @Henry_McLeod,
Thanks a lot, my mind is set then! :slight_smile:
Thanks for your help guys!!

1 Like

Thanks. I ordered one and will do a little case transfer when it arrives. Even with the case cost, it is so much cheaper than the Nucleus.

Purchased a used 7i7NBH, 32 GB Ram, 512 GB M.2 SSD for €90. A bargain imo!
I have Windows 10 Pro and put Roon server on it. Haven’t decided if I should install ROCK instead.

1 Like

What a steal! You know, you could go to jail for that… :grinning:

3 Likes

I am running nuc8i5beh with upsampling to DSD 512 and EQ in four bands. Absolute no issue. Sound Quality is excellent.

Secondhand (£120) Lenovo M92P Tiny I3 3220T, 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD (don’t need this much but it is what it came with) running as headless unit with new ROCK install. Tried on Windows 10 but not as good SQ. Fully ethernet via Netgear Switch.

Running remote on ipad Air 2, Iphone 6S+, streaming Tidal only.

Stream to Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 v1 (used as DAC only) via Asynchronous USB 2.0 port.

Roksan Kandy KA1 MkIII amplifier running Tannoy HPD295A 10" Dual Concentrics from 1978 in custom built 105litre cabinets with Taket Batpure Supertweeter. Results - Spectacular!!

Easy installation of ROCK onto mini PC.

2 Likes

As of today: NUC8i7BEH, 32GB memory, Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe. It’s now indexing my music on a Synlogy two drive NAS.

1 Like

Just installed this week: NUC8i5BEH, 8GB RAM, 128Gb M.2 SSD, 1TB spinning disk (freebie from the NUC supplier). Music mainly on an external USB SSD (ease of migration from the old core).

Dear fellow Roon users.

This thread has been super helpful because, while my 2011 Mac Mini i7 Server is quite happy to run Roon with DSP, I’m away it won’t last forever and is known to get a bit ‘hair dryer’ and noisy under certain conditions.

It’s good to know that putting together a replacement NUC isn’t going to cost the earth.

Especially if you buy 2nd hand.