Little bit of clarification with rew

Hi guys, am going to try my hand at room eq with raw, i have ordered the microphone which should be here in a day or two and am busy reading up on as much info as i can to get prepared.

I found the great guide on here with step by step instructions which is what i will be using to get me started.

There is one bit in the instructions that i dont quite understand and maybe somebody could clarify

In step 14, what is meant by “save a wav file for each frequency you use in roon”?

How do i know what sample rate that i am using in roon?

Many thanks

This is the same as the sample rates of your music files. If all you’ve got is 44.1, then you only need to save a 44.1 wav in REW. If you use Roon to do upsampling, let’s say everything to 192kHz, then that is what you need to match in REW.

EDIT: Roon will resample the correction filter to match music files so while you experiment you only need one wav file to check the result. When you have decided on a correction you like it’s time to create multiple files for all relevant sample rates.

Just to add to that. At the end of the measurement process REW will allow you to save filters at any frequency rate you want. I just covered all bases between 44.1 and 192 (6 WAV files) and zipped them up into a single zip file. Then when you enable convolution in roon, you will be asked where your zip file is on disk.

Great stuff, all understood now. Just the mic to arrive now and a day on me own to give it a shot thanks

REW is a great diagnostic tool with solid minimum-phase eq capabilities. But achieving accurate time-domain corrections requires adding rePhase (or similar) and a fairly complex workflow. For example:

If your goal is to learn a ton and have the satisfaction of building your own correction filters be an important part of your audio hobby, this is a great route to explore.

However, if your aim is to simply get the best sounding corrections possible, I’d suggest working with a pro to build your filters. Two great resources are Home Audio Fidelity (popular in this community) and Accurate Sound (my personal favorite). While not cheap, when you compare the cost to that of a new audio component relative to the improvement in sound from these filters, the value becomes obvious.