Livebox Orange conflict

I am living in France and for my internet connection I use ADSL with the Orange Livebox.
Orange (a French provider) also delivers a lot of tv channels via this connection.
The strange thing is that, the moment I start the Roon application, all of my tv channels go black.
Even when I am not streaming audio, just running Roon. So it is not a matter of band width.
My initial thought is that Roon maybe uses the same port number as the Orange tv decoder does.
Anyone any ideas what might cause this behavior?

1 Like

Hey @Arie_van_Boxel,

Sorry for the trouble here. We added some additional controls to our code today that should help us run some tests and determine what’s going on here. I’m going to follow up with you when the next release goes live, and I can walk you through the tests on site with the Livebox to help us address this.

I wish I had something simpler you could try to resolve this now, but this is the best path forward, and should help us resolve this for you very soon. Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll talk to you soon!

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey @Arie_van_Boxel – send me a PM and we can set up a time to take a look into this now that Build 88 is live. Thanks for your patience!

@support
I am using ROCK on a NUC for some time now and it works flawlessly. When I started this topic I was running Roon (and Roon Server) on an iMac.
But the problem still remains: when the NUC with Roon is powered on, I have no tv channels.
Orange uses a Sagem decoder for streaming the tv channels.
I am wondering: is there someone else in France using an Orange ADSL Livebox combination who has this same problem?

There aren’t any French ROCK-ers?!

Wow, sorry to hear this is still happening @Arie_van_Boxel.

Is the Orange Livebox doing DHCP and functioning as a switch for your network, or there is a router involved also?

I’m going to discuss this with the team, but if you haven’t tried yet you might have better results with a router and subnet for all your devices, separate from the Orange box.

@mike
The Orange Livebox does DHCP, it is a modem and a router. The decoder for the TV is connected by wire via one of the ethernet ports.
You don’t have many options with this Livebox and you are obliged to use it to connect to the Internet. Orange is the main French telecom company, so I am surprised no one else has reported the issue. Maybe because most French don’t read forums in the English language ;-).

Understood, my suggestion was to get a consumer router to handle your internal network, wifi, DHCP, etc – this would connect to the Livebox over Ethernet, and would run as a subnet.

I suggest this because going back to the Sooloos days, we have solved networking issues over and over again by having people moving away from home networking gear provided by utilities and ISPs.

For example, that Livebox device doesn’t appear to support IEEE 802.11ac wireless, so you should see a solid uptick in wifi speeds with a modern AC-capable router, in addition to segmenting Roon from the TV infrastructure here.

We’re going to take another look at this, but mentioning this because this kind of upgrade has resolved so many issues for us in the past, and because it’s probably going to improve your wifi speeds significantly.

We’ll be in touch.

1 Like

@mike
I have tried to use ROCK via another router that has it own ip range. The problem is gone then.
My problem is that this was a test via wifi. To make it permanent I have to change my network topology.
For now I just shut down ROCK when I want to look television…

As for the wifi speeds: I live on the countryside, so I am already happy with having a stable ADSL connection.

Understood. I think it’s going to be really hard for us to isolate this issue in house, but I’ll let you know if we have some ideas. I hate the idea of you having to shut down Roon to watch TV :frowning:

Yup, of course. That’s what I was suggesting :grin:

Ok, but to be clear, I wasn’t talking about the speed of your internet connection, I was talking about the Wifi speeds within your home network.

This is likely to make Roon remotes run faster (due to faster connection speeds between the Core and Remote), and it could potentially make other activities (like streaming video) run faster, depending on how fast your internet connection is, and whether the wifi is acting like a bottleneck here.

Anyway, we’ll do what we can to address the TV issue, but I did want to make this recommendation since we’ve seen countless issues resolved this way.

OK, thank you.
I have changed my network setup and now the problem has gone.

Roon, and especially ROCK, is something we want to use just for enjoying music; it is “The music player for music lovers”, not for network geeks. So in the end it is a Roon problem.
I’m pretty sure that Orange, the biggest French telecom company, will agree.