Logitech Transporters hanging when connected to roon

Hi @noris,

I also have 2 Squeezebox Booms which I’m not using much anymore, so I used one for a quick test. It is working fine without any issues, without stopping SEP (I actually even forgot to stop the remote LMS during this test, but it still worked fine). So at this time everything seems to be pointing to the Transporter as the only type of Logitech device I own which won’t play while the Squeezebox Classic and Boom are working fine.

Thanks!

Adrian

Hello @Adrian_Matala,

I have received the report back from QA and they have mentioned seeing a similar issue where factory resetting the Transporters helped improve communication, the thread is linked here:

With that said, can I please ask you to factory reset your Transporters to see if this improves anything? From Logitech’s website, it appears the way to factory reset is by holding down the ADD (+) button on the remote while plugging the players’ power connector in.

Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris,

I was not very keen on doing this as it’s been years since I did it last time and I know it’s a lot of work, but I wanted to progress on this issue.

Unfortunately this hasn’t changed anything. I did the factory reset on one Transporter, then stopped the LMS server and started roon, restarted the Transporter to connect to roon and reactivated it in roon, but it still hangs at 0:00 just like before. roon seems to be thinking that the track is playing as the signal path gets displayed properly, however the progress bar doesn’t move from 0:00.

As this hasn’t helped at all and it took me almost an hour to set back my Transporter the way it was (static IP address, Mysqueezebox credentials, screen and audio settings, plugins configurations, all were erased, of course), I will not be doing the factory reset on the other 2 Transporters, I hope you understand! :wink:

Thanks!

Adrian

Hello @Adrian_Matala,

Thank you for confirming that factory resetting the Transporters have not resolved the issue.

I have added this note to your case with QA and can confirm that our servers have received the diagnostics from your Core after factory resetting the Transporter, I have gone ahead and submitted the new diagnostics to QA for review.

I will be sure to let you know once I receive the report back from QA or have more information to share, I appreciate your patience in the meantime.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris,

Thanks for the update. In the mean time I have performed multiple tests with the Transporter, but couldn’t manage to make it work at all after the factory reset.

Thanks!

Adrian

Hello @Adrian_Matala,

I have added your case to be discussed with our developers later this week, but in the meantime I am wondering if you can run one more test. Can you please group a working Squeezebox device with one of the Transporters you have and try to play the same content to both of those devices? Does the behavior change if you attempt to playback this way? Please let me know when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

I’ve no idea who’s signing this stuff off for the KB. It is perfectly possible to have an instance of LMS running on the same subnet as Roon. It doesn’t play too nicely if the IP address of the LMS and Roon instance is the same, but if you put them on different IP addresses - different machines or run LMS in a Docker/VM, then they co-exist perfectly happily.

@Adrian_Matala if you’ve factory reset your Transporter and it hasn’t helped after going through setup again, then I also recommend doing a Xilix reset on your Transporter.
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Transporter_xilix_reset

While you are troubleshooting, stop your LMS instance, but if you get things working, having LMS on a separate IP should be fine.

1 Like

Hi @anon55914447

Thanks for the response, those were my exact thoughts also regarding the LMS instance running on another machine and I can also confirm that my Squeezeboxes which are running fine with roon are also running fine if I don’t stop that LMS instance.

However, concerning that Xilix reset, I am sorry but I am not willing to go that way. I have 3 Logitech Transporters, all working flawlessly when connected to LMS, but none of them working with roon. If only one would have problems working with roon, then a reset on that particular Transporter would make sense. As mentioned before, I did a factory reset with no positive results and it was painful enough to put back all my settings the way they were before, I don’t want to go through that again so soon. :wink:

Fair enough . My Transporter plays perfectly with Roon so there’s no particular problem with the hardware.

I hope you get it sorted soon.

Hi @anon55914447,

At this time I am only evaluating roon as someone recommended it to me. I’ve been a happy LMS user for more than 10 years now, but I’d be glad to find a viable alternative which is still being actively developed while keeping my current players that are working fine. I was disappointed to find out that my Transporters are not working with roon so I can do some proper tests and I am still hoping to get this sorted out eventually, but I am not really willing to mess up with my current config too much in the process… I have already stopped and started my LMS instance in the past 2 weeks more than in the last couple of years in order to be able to do these tests and I am still willing to gather as much information as possible about this, however these complete resets are too intrusive and time consuming for me as I have many plugins and custom settings in place which get completely reinitialized… If I can’t make my Transporters work with roon without further resets, then I’ll gladly stick to my reliable LMS installation for a few more years… :wink:

Hi @noris,

I did the test as you requested. Stopped the LMS instance then started roon and connected one Transporter and a Squeezebox Boom to roon. They are both connected to the same unmanaged switch as the core, so no other network elements in the path.
The Squeezebox Boom plays fine by itself, but when I group it with the Transporter, it plays for about 10 seconds then it stops for a few seconds, then it plays again for a couple more seconds, then it stops again and so on for 2-3 times, until it stops completely. The Transporter does not play at all.
If I start a new track, then once again the Boom plays fine for 10 seconds and then it stops.
Just as before, the progress bar is stuck at 0:00 even during those first 10 seconds while the Boom is playing.
You should have all info available in the latest logs uploaded to your systems.

Adrian

Do note that a Xliix reset is different from a factory reset. You do not lose any settings at all. In the distant past, I found that a xlinx reset solved some very odd behavior of my transporter. It may not help, but can’t hurt and doesn’t require any re-entering of settings.

Hi @garym,

Thanks for that info, knowing that I also went for a xilix reset, although I should have listened to my initial impulse and stayed away from it because I then had to face a couple of hours of pure enchantment… :smiley:

To summarize, I did a xilix reset and all settings were preserved indeed, but the Transporter stopped playing music from LMS also… It still didn’t work with roon but it also stopped working with LMS… when trying to play any track it was starting and stopping instantly… So quite the opposite of what I was trying to achieve and something I had never seen before. I tried another xilix reset, but still no luck.

I also tried to connect it to mysqueezebox.com but I got a message that the MAC address needs to be reset to the original value. Upon investigation I found out that the MAC address had indeed been changed with the reset (I think that normally it shouldn’t have done that…) , so I unplugged the Transporter and took it out of the rack to write down the default MAC address which is written on the sticker on the back and then set back that MAC address. After that I could connect to mysqueezebox.com but the Transporter still wouldn’t play when connected to LMS…

So after a few more failed attempts, I ended up doing another factory reset which also meant losing all my settings again, but at least it finally solved the problem and made my Transporter work again with LMS. Phew!!! :smiley: Not a pleasant experience at all, but at least I was back where I had started. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, there is some good also in all of this because I could also progress a bit more on the roon issue.

@noris , I think this info is important for our support case:

When I connected the Transporter to roon immediately after the factory reset (without connecting to LMS first), then it was working fine . I then switched to LMS and played a track without changing any settings, then swicthed back to roon and it was still working!

However, after connecting the Transporter to LMS and setting back all my settings and preferences the way they were before the reset, it again stopped working when switched back to roon!

So at this time evidence points to one (or more) of my settings I am using on my Transporters! There must be some setting which is somehow incompatible with roon. Normally when swicthing from LMS to roon all settings should also be changed to the roon specific ones, however it’s true that LMS offers far more settings and customizations for the Transporter than roon does. My guess is that some setting is not properly supported by roon and it doesn’t handle it properly.

I didn’t have time to find out which one yet, because by that time it was almost 2 a.m. already but as soon I have more time, I will try to set back the settings of the Transporter to the default values one by one and switch it to roon after each change… Hopefully on of these settings should do the trick… I will keep you posted on my findings!

Thanks,

Adrian

Glad you’ve made some progress. Odd about the MAC address. I’ve done a Xilinx reset a handful of times on my transporter and never had any issue.
I should note that I don’t use my transporter with Roon.

Yeah, very odd also that it stopped playing music from LMS after the xilix reset and even putting back the MAC didn’t solve it, which forced me to do yet another factory reset…
It’s because of these kind of odd issues that I’m not very keen on doing these resets… If there’s something I’ve learned well in over 20 years of working in IT is that if something is working fine, don’t touch it! :smiley:

Hi @noris,

I think I have finally figured this out. I started by changing the audio settings of the Transporter in LMS and found out that if the Transporter is configured to Power Down Audio when off, then it wouldn’t play with roon. If I set it to Audio Always on (the default setting), then it’s playing just fine.
Basically, all my transporters are set to keep audio circuitry off when they are powered off. When switching the Transporter from LMS to roon, it first powers off, then it powers on again, however the audio circuits remain off. It seems that roon does not support turning on and off the Transporter audio circuits so it sends the playback commands with the audio circuits off and the Transporter gets stuck at 0:00.
If I set it on LMS to Audio Always on, then when switching it to roon the audio circuits remain on all the time and the Transporters works with roon just fine.
I was able to reproduce the behavior consistently on two Transporters (the one which was reset yesterday and another one which was never reset), they always work when Audio is set to Always on in LMS and they always hang when audio is set to Power Down…
So I am quite confident that this must be the problem, however it would be nice if you could confirm the same behavior with support.

Thanks,

Adrian

1 Like

Well done for figuring it out.

It was always my understanding that “power down audio” doesn’t actually do anything meaningful, i.e. it doesn’t reduce current draw in any way whatsoever.

Hello @Adrian_Matala,

Thank you for the update! I really appreciate all the testing you’ve done so far and happy to hear that you were able to pinpoint the issue to the Power Off Audio setting, I’m almost certain your findings here will help other Roon users as well :slight_smile:

I have gone ahead and submitted your findings to QA and they will verify if the same behavior can be reproduced on our end, I will be sure to let you know as soon as I hear back regarding their testing. In the meantime, I would go ahead and make this change for all your transporters so that you can enjoy Roon properly :headphones:.

I will be sure to update you when I hear back regarding QA’s testing but as @anon55914447 said, well done!

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks, I’m glad I could make it work so I can actually get a chance to do some real testing with the Transporters before my trial period expires :slight_smile:

I normally keep the Transporters with screens off and audio circuits powered off while not in use, but it’s not a problem to keep audio on at all times while conducting my tests with roon.

I also wanted to mention that I didn’t have to stop my remote LMS instance while conducting my latest tests, I can confirm that it’s perfectly fine to have both roon and LMS running at the same time, as long as they don’t share the same IP address and it’s much easier to switch the players back and forth in this way!

Adrian

1 Like

Finally a solution. Congrats on finding it out. It took quite the testing.