Looking for new core server i2s HDMI output

(Gautam Ramnath) #1

Suggestions ? Does the nucleus plus hdmi handle i2s output or standard hdmi protocol

(Ged) #2

Forum search is available to all :slightly_smiling_face:

(Robert ) #3

I believe it is standard HDMI for connection to an AVR.

Do you have an i2s DAC? I was using a Sonore microrendu USB out to a Sonore Ultradgital i2s (over HDMI) to my Direct Stream Jr.

(Gautam Ramnath) #4

Was looking for a single box solution. Increasingly weary of my box count

(Robert ) #5

What are you attempting to hook up to? Do you have an existing i2s DAC? If so, what is the type of i2s connection needed? HDMI?

(Henry) #6

You will need to build a silent core with x1 PCIe slot and add the Pink Faun i2S card. If you use AudioLinux as the OS you then fulfil all of the requirements. It is limited to 192k but can sound sublime. Pretty much all other i2S over HDMI solutions employ USB somewhere in the chain and this means boxes. My only reservation is that the Pink Faun card is quite delicate, it isn’t any where near as robust as you might expect a peripheral card to be so great care needs to be employed when handling. Ideally it should have a shield fitted but that is a suggestion for PF.

(Gautam Ramnath) #7

Thanks will look at that.

(Gautam Ramnath) #8

Ps audio junior

(Henry) #9

That is interesting because you don’t need a direct link between core and your DAC because the PS A Jr. is a networked Roon endpoint. Unless you quite specifically want to use i2S over HDMI there isn’t any need to build a core with it.

(Robert ) #10

This is on order with a single box solution, but a pricey one. W4S makes fantastic stuff. I have their preamp, multi channel amp, and multi device power supply.

(Gautam Ramnath) #11

Aah this is the start of a long story about me comparing the sound through my wired network , then wireless, then usb, then usb with crap ton of rectifiers/ cleaners/ scrubbers/ waffle makers - unfortunately the last was the best in my poorly wired leased property. Can’t go ripping things out. Was hoping to have the option of i2s which is where this search started.
Was hoping the roon nucleus could do it
Yep the network has a sound
I know
It’s sad
I’m an audio onanist

(Gautam Ramnath) #12

Apologies I think I responded to the next person in message sequence

Aah this is the start of a long story about me comparing the sound through my wired network , then wireless, then usb, then usb with crap ton of rectifiers/ cleaners/ scrubbers/ waffle makers - unfortunately the last was the best in my poorly wired leased property. Can’t go ripping things out. Was hoping to have the option of i2s which is where this search started.
Was hoping the roon nucleus could do it
Yep the network has a sound
I know
It’s sad
I’m an audio onanist

(Gautam Ramnath) #13

Ty will look at that
May decide in the next decade.

(Henry) #14

I am not judging! I have two DACs with i2S inputs and they are the best inputs on both DACs.

(Larry Post) #15

I have the Pink Faun I2S board feeding a DS. It also happens to be in their 2.16 streamer running Audio-Linux but you don’t have to go to this extent to get the greatness of unaltered I2S.

I have Roon feeding HQPe and no upsampling. With Ted’s latest OS Snowmass, I much prefer his upsampling to DSD over Roon or HQP. The 192 PCM limit of the board is no limit at all, for me.

I don’t think Nucleus/ROCK will support the PF I2S board however. As others said, you’ll need a PC to host it.

(Gautam Ramnath) #16

Thank you - will
Look at pink faun again

(Gautam Ramnath) #17

Wyred4sound ms