Looking for Recommendations Before Going Lifetime

Not really, because once Audi have sold you a car it doesn’t cost them anything for you to own it. In fact they’ll probably continue to profit as many people will use their service centers for ongoing care and maintenance. This isn’t the case for Roon: ongoing server charges, licensing charges for the metadata sources, royalties (I think) to Qobuz and Tidal. I hear what you’re saying, but the comparison isn’t a fair one.

Hi,
I am sorry that I did not make my point clear.
It is OK for me if you buy a lifetime license. But if many people do so, the company has a good cashflow now and a low one in the years to come.
If they have most of the people paying annual licenses they have a more steady income and need to do something to keep their customers loyal. If they don’t deliver on quality and function the customers can decide to switch to another product.
So buying a lifetime license is a strong sign of confidence in a product you probably already consider good enough to use it the years to come (you already like it enough).

Cheers
Al

Ok, point taken.

How about comparing it to buying an extended warranty for your Audi?

Is that anything?

:grin:

I suspect Audi also make a profit on those :slight_smile:

wait wait, how about this:

buying the Audi outright vs leasing!

or insisting on paying full price during the Audi Sellathon!

anyway, the only thing I’m saying is that if I know I like Roon and plan to use it more than X years, and they’re offering me a deal to buy the thing outright, I’m not gonna treat them like a charity case and keep paying indefinitely.

that’s all.

2 Likes

Thing is, unlike an Audi, you would hope that Roon improves year on year and acquires new features and power. A few years ago it was a standalone product just for your own rips. Now it integrates with Roon and Qobuz and does all sorts of fancy things. In a few years, who knows? And for 30c a day what else could you get?

1 Like

No turning back now, as I paid for the $499 lifetime subscription back in the day.

So let me just say how much I appreciate all the pay-as-you-go folks.

4 Likes

I went with the lifetime. In for a penny in for a pound is the rationale.
I find I don’t use JRiver or Foobar2000 or Clementine anymore.
I spend a lot less time managing my interfaces and more time labelling my music to fit my specific neurosis.

I have lifetime but I wouldn’t do it now. I think the wheels are going to come off soon as streaming services start to offer similar, equivalent or better players with metadata, endpoint handling and fully working search capabilities etc.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.