Looking for Roon Core problem

Hello,
I am a new and so far quite impressed user of Roon. My setup is a windows 10 machine with all my music running Roon core and then two endpoints: one another windows 10 PC with external dac and a Ropieee connected to my Marantz amp. This works like a charm, controlling either from the PC of from the android app on my phone. However, I just got a new tablet, the huawei mediapad m5 and after installing the roon remote to my surprise its in a constant loop Looking for Roon Core…What I tried:

1. Rebooting the Roon core
  2. Rebooting the tablet
  3. re-installing the app on the tablet. Btw, tablet is with all updates, it runs Android 8.0 Oreo

I must also say, that unlike the other thread with a similar problem, the cause is not the rooter as both devices are in the same IP group. Any help?

Just a guess, but try this. On your Core machine:

Settings>Setup

Activate “Accept connections from remotes” toggle

I’m using a imac and ipads but hopefully it keys the same…

Welcome to the forum…

1 Like

Thanks! Will try this when I’m at home later. Actually, I didn’t do the obvious thing which is go through the core settings. It’s just that with the phone android app it worked like a charm from the beginning

1 Like

No worries. Hope it works. I’m an apple user, so I don’t know much about PCs or Androids. But hopefully the commands are pretty similar. The remote toggle was the first thing that came to mind…

unfortunately I don’t have that option available. Still looking for a solution :frowning:

I’ve flagged @support and hopefully they can assist you with establishing contact with your Roon remote device.

1 Like

Hello @Gaburko,

Thanks for contacting us regarding this issue. What kind of router do you have? I have sometimes seen that enabling IGMP proxying/snooping helped with similar issues, do you by any chance have this setting in your router and can give it a try?

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

I have the linksys e4200 and unfortunately it doesn’t have GMP proxying/snooping :frowning: Any other option I should try to play with?

Sorry for the spam, but wanted to say the issue is fixed! Enabling “filter multicast” did the trick Untitled

Hello @Gaburko,

Glad to hear that filter multicast helped but it is strange that turning the filter to on fixed the issue, all the documentation that I read about “filter multicast” makes it seem like enabling that toggle blocks multicast from happening not allows it.

Please let me know if things are still stable after a day or two so that I can add this information to our router’s settings documentation.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @Gaburko,

Just wanted to check in with you, is everything still stable since flipping that switch?

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

You were right, it didnt work. Somehow when I toggle the filter multicast it works, but as soon as I close the settings window and try to re-connect via the app, it goes back into a loop searching for the core. It’s weird as it doesnt matter is I enable or disable the multicast, it works until I close the router settings window. I am busy at work and wasn’t able to test much, will try now over the weekend. It’s not a drama, i can use my android phone with no issues, it just would be nice to show my wife all the eye candy via the tablet. Helps with the SAF you know :slight_smile: (SAF=spouse acceptance factor)

Thanks for letting me know it didn’t help @Gaburko. You might also want to check to see if disabling the router firewall yields any change, from what you mention it seems like the tablet works until a firewall kicks in somewhere and starts blocking it’s traffic. Also, I would make sure that Roon is added as an exception for both Private and Public networks ins your Windows Firewall using these instructions and also on any Antivirus/Firewall Software on your machine.

– Noris

1 Like

Thanks for the continuous support. I managed to fix it, but I am not sure what exactly did the trick. Anyways, I had “filter multicast” not enabled AND I restarted the PC with roon core. Now all is good, was playing music and controlling via the tablet. Thanks!

2 Likes