I am a new and so far quite impressed user of Roon. My setup is a windows 10 machine with all my music running Roon core and then two endpoints: one another windows 10 PC with external dac and a Ropieee connected to my Marantz amp. This works like a charm, controlling either from the PC of from the android app on my phone. However, I just got a new tablet, the huawei mediapad m5 and after installing the roon remote to my surprise its in a constant loop Looking for Roon Core…What I tried:
Rebooting the Roon core
Rebooting the tablet
re-installing the app on the tablet. Btw, tablet is with all updates, it runs Android 8.0 Oreo
I must also say, that unlike the other thread with a similar problem, the cause is not the rooter as both devices are in the same IP group. Any help?
Thanks! Will try this when I’m at home later. Actually, I didn’t do the obvious thing which is go through the core settings. It’s just that with the phone android app it worked like a charm from the beginning
Thanks for contacting us regarding this issue. What kind of router do you have? I have sometimes seen that enabling IGMP proxying/snooping helped with similar issues, do you by any chance have this setting in your router and can give it a try?
Glad to hear that filter multicast helped but it is strange that turning the filter to on fixed the issue, all the documentation that I read about “filter multicast” makes it seem like enabling that toggle blocks multicast from happening not allows it.
Please let me know if things are still stable after a day or two so that I can add this information to our router’s settings documentation.
You were right, it didnt work. Somehow when I toggle the filter multicast it works, but as soon as I close the settings window and try to re-connect via the app, it goes back into a loop searching for the core. It’s weird as it doesnt matter is I enable or disable the multicast, it works until I close the router settings window. I am busy at work and wasn’t able to test much, will try now over the weekend. It’s not a drama, i can use my android phone with no issues, it just would be nice to show my wife all the eye candy via the tablet. Helps with the SAF you know (SAF=spouse acceptance factor)
Thanks for letting me know it didn’t help @Gaburko. You might also want to check to see if disabling the router firewall yields any change, from what you mention it seems like the tablet works until a firewall kicks in somewhere and starts blocking it’s traffic. Also, I would make sure that Roon is added as an exception for both Private and Public networks ins your Windows Firewall using these instructions and also on any Antivirus/Firewall Software on your machine.
Thanks for the continuous support. I managed to fix it, but I am not sure what exactly did the trick. Anyways, I had “filter multicast” not enabled AND I restarted the PC with roon core. Now all is good, was playing music and controlling via the tablet. Thanks!