Looking for suggestions on upgrading to a newer, better streamer

For the past couple of years now, I have been running a Bluesound Node 2 (not the 2i). For about a year, I was running the coax out to a PS Audio Gain Cell DAC. I have since sold the PS Audio gear and have moved on to all Schiit gear.

I just ordered a Schiit Bifrost 2 a couple days ago and it will be here tomorrow. I want to be able to utilize the “Unison” USB input on it as it’s supposed to be better. I also have a Wyred4Sound Recovery USB Reclocker that I would like to use again, or at least see if makes any difference. I have a 12v ifi Audio iPower power supply with it.

I recently starting running Roon and love it. I have a NAS with 6TB of storage (about one third used so far), two WD My Passport Ultra 4TB backup drives, Tidal and Qobuz.

Looking to spend no more than about $600 all in, I’ve been doing a little research and have been eye-balling the Allo USBridge Signature with DigiOne and DietPi+Allo UI.

I don’t want purchase their cheap PS nor do I want to purchase their pricey Shanti PS as I’ve read that they can have noise issues. I’ll just purchase another ifi iPower (5v) which includes a mini-USB connector.

I’m thinking this will be a decent, cost effective (bang for the buck) upgrade from the Node 2. What do you guys think? Good move in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance!

If you have a computer or the NAS as the Roon Core, the Sonore microrendu with SGC linear power supply could be a good fit for your budget. I have the ultrarendu and Bifrost 2 and am a big fan

I have Roon on my laptop that I use to control the Node 2. I’m not sure if my Synology NAS is capable of running Roon. And since I forgot my password, I can’t even log into my NAS currently to see the specs on it. LOL

I use the USBridge Sig and I tried it with both its own PS and an iFi iPower, both power supplies sounded the same to me, just be aware that the iFi PS does not come with a USB-C adapter although luckily for us the Sig does.

I think it’s a great choice and you don’t need to spend any more.

Allo are also coming out with their own low noise SMPS, supposedly in the next few months or so.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up, Mark. It’s another good one to research.

Hi, looking at what you want to do, that player you linked to has too much functionality. If you want to use USB, I’d be inclined to bin the DigiOne sig element and I would also be inclined to use Ropieee as the OS which requires less intervention than DietPi once set up in my experience.
So Usbridge Sig, PSU, Case and SD card.

1 Like

Ropieee on a Raspberry pi, usb to the DAC, that’s all anyone needs. Make sonic improvements in the audio domain, not the digital one.