Loosing connection during streaming

Good day,

Problem: intermittent drop out

Using Synology core and Raspberry output and several remotes.
Wired network.
Problem occurs both with streaming from Qobuz and playing from core disc.

When music drops the remotes show a message 'No audio devices available".

A continues ping to all network devices shows no drop out. Also not when the problem occurs.

The problems started after the last software update from Roon.

The problems occurs several times per hour to a few time a week.

After a few minutes the system is restored and plays again after hitting the play button.

Some has any idea??

Thank you!

Rgrds Jan

What is and dac are you you using on the rpi? What bitrate streams are you having issues with or all even redbook?

Also more network details might help…no Ethernet over power?

just tagging @support as they may not see this otherwise

DAc is DDDAC 1794 connected by I2S to Kali head. On the Rasperry runs Moode.

Done, thank you

Hi @J_de_Hond,

I have a few follow-up questions:

• Can you please let me know what your networking setup is like, including the model/manufacturer of your router and any switches, range extenders, powerline adapters, ect?

• If you bypass the Rasberry Pi and connect the DAC directly to the Core, do you still experience the same issue?

• When the Rasberry Pi disappears, do you see any audio endpoints in Roon Settings -> Audio tab?

• Does this behavior only occur when streaming certain sample rates? Do lower sample rates generally work ok?

• Does your Synology Core meet our Minimum Requirements? What are the specs?

• Is your DAC and Rasberry up to date on newest firmware?

Good day,

Some additional information:

The core, installed on the Synology NAS, allocated 800Mb from the 1Gb RAM space. After a reboot from the core application (not the complete NAS) only 300Mb is used and the problems looks solved.
So gave me a few more days to verify what I see.

Could this be a memory leak?

• Can you please let me know what your networking setup is like, including the model/manufacturer of your router and any switches, range extenders, powerline adapters, ect?
o Tried several switches including a direct connection from core, remote end front-end, to the internet modem.
• If you bypass the Rasberry Pi and connect the DAC directly to the Core, do you still experience the same issue?
o That is hard to accomplish. I have to switch the I2S to usb.
• When the Rasberry Pi disappears, do you see any audio endpoints in Roon Settings -> Audio tab?
o No, they disappear but will return after minutes.
• Does this behavior only occur when streaming certain sample rates? Do lower sample rates generally work ok?
o No difference as far as I can see. Streaming from Qobuz or from local NAS disc doesn’t make a difference.
• Does your Synology Core meet our Minimum Requirements? What are the specs?
o Synology DS713+ with 1 Gb RAM.
• Is your DAC and Rasberry up to date on newest firmware?
o Well Moode is; Raspberry I’m not certain.

Regards

Hi @J_de_Hond,

Thanks for providing that additional information.

I suspect that this is at least part of the issue here since the NAS does not meet our Minimum Requirements. The minimum requirements are 4GB of RAM and an i3 processor, looks like the NAS has an Intel Atom CPU which as mentioned in our NAS Knowledge Base article can cause some strange behavior like the one you describe.

If you run your Roon Core on a properly spec’d machine, do you still experience the same behavior?

@J_de_Hond, I have also a DS713+. I am dealing with the same problems, but only with playing 192/24 streams from Qobuz. All other streams from Qobuz and files from my library are playing as expected. The difference with your machine is that I replaced the 1Gb memory bank with a 2Gb one. This is working well (altough not officialy supported by Synology) and speeds up the server.

Hi Alfred and others,

I upgraded the memory to 4Gb. I notice an improvement. The system has more stability.

I verified the CPU and memory resources from the NAS. Only 25% from the memory is used. CPU load is about 20% average.

And indeed I can confirm that when the system hangs, it is playing high res files.

Overall can I say that that stability improved. But responsiveness leaves something to be desired. It takes often a lot of time before the control on the Phone app shows some libraries.

thank you.

You can cut a 4x2 with a bread knife too…I really don’t know why there is a desire to short change ones roon experience running it on below recommended hardware.

Hi @J_de_Hond,

Thans you for your report. Good to hear that upgrading your memory is helping. It is unclear to me if you can now play Qobuz hi-res files (192/24) or not. Can you tell about this a little more?

Furthermore, I have not only upgraded the memory from my DiskStation. I also placed the Roon database on a separate SSD which is connected via the eSATA port. This improved the responsiveness of Roon! Good for you to know.

By the way, can you give insights in the brand and exactly type of the memory bank you have used for upgrading the DS713+. I am asking because I tried different 4Gb memory banks for upgrading (instead of 2Gb) but neither of them were working.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Hi Alfred,

This one works for me:

Mushkin 4 GB DDR3-1066 werkgeheugen
(991644, Essentials-Serie, Lite retail)

4 GB DDR3-1066

Capaciteit: 4 GB
Timings: CL7 7-7-20

ordered at: www.alternate.nl

Succes and thanks for your advice

@J_de_Hond,

Thanks for your reply!

A moment ago I ordered the Mushkin memory module at alternate.nl

I let you know if it is works for me also.

@J_de_Hond

Today I received the Mushkin module and I placed it in the DS713+. The DiskStation got terrible, terrible slow and is unusable. The CPU is constantly working on 100%. It is so slow that I do not get any output on the Task Manager tab in the Resource Monitor app.

Do you recognize this behaviour on your DS713+ with this memory module?

Hi @Alfred_van_Hoorn,

Just so you are aware, your DS713+ does not meet the Minimum Requirements for Roon. I looked up the CPU and it appears to be using an Atom D2700, which is less than 1/4th of the way towards the recommended specs (see comparison here). You will have a better overall experience with a Core that meets our requirements.

Hi @noris,

Thanks for your remark. I am aware that my DS713+ in the standard configuration does not meet the minimum Roon requirements. We discussed this earlier last february.

My DS713+ is upgraded to 2Gb RAM and I have connected a seperate SSD (via the eSATA port) for the Roon database. For all others who read this post: this is working well despite the minimum requirements. Probably this is because I have not very much songs in my library (about 6000). Roon is reasonably responsive. There is only one minor issue: Qobuz 192/24 files are aborting after about 10s probably due to the Roon minimum requirements.

@noris, for your clearity: my last post above was about RAM upgrading from 2Gb to 4Gb. I am searching for the right 4Gb memory bank for my DS713+. Not all memorybanks are working well. I got an advice for a specific memory bank from @J_de_Hond which I tried: unfortunately without success until now. This all has nothing to do with Roon.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.