Loosing Meridian endpoints

I loose Meridian endpoints in 4 zones. Most of the time, they don’t show up at all. Explorer 2 is only Meridian that works. MS 600’s and 818v3 do not. Have replaced switch and cabling and rebooted router many times to no avail.

Thanks for the report, @james_newman1!

To start, may I kindly ask that you please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

I loose Meridian endpoints in 4 zones. Most of the time, they don’t show up at all. Explorer 2 is only Meridian that works. MS 600’s and 818v3 do not.

To clarify the above a bit, The Explorer 2 shows up all the time and works as expected, but the other 3 do not? Do they show up sometimes? Are you able to play to them when they do show up? Has this always been the case or did something change recently?

May I also ask that you please verify the following:

• Do you have any active firewall or antivirus?
  • Have you tried rebooting your Core machine and endpoints in addition to the router?

Regards,
Dylan

Centurylink C1100Z router, Netgear Prosafe 16 port switch using cat6 cabling. I have been using Sooloos Control 15 with 4 zones, three MS600’s and one 818v3. The Meridian 2 is using USB from Windows 10 with McAfee anti virus, an Ipad2 as a remote and I just used this setup to listen to Tidal MQA via Roon. I now wish to exclusively use Roon. I shut down the C-15, reboot router, switch, endpoints, computer and sometimes I see all and they play for a while and then disappear. I have done this 15 or 20 times am about ready to give up. I might add I lost the use of Controlpc and Meridian Configure about the same time I started with Roon.

Thank you for the update, @james_newman1!

Just to clarify here:

• The Meridian 2 is connected via USB, but the others are connected via the network? Are they connected over WiFi or a wired connection? If wired, are they connected to the switch?

I might add I lost the use of Controlpc and Meridian Configure about the same time I started with Roon.

• So, when this happens, you lose control of these devices for all other apps?

Based on your report, it sounds like there may be some networking difficulties going on here at the root of this behavior.

In order to test further, may I ask that you please connect one of the other endpoints that you’re having difficulties with directly to the Core machine and try playing to it that way? Do you experience the same behavior when doing so?

If you disable your antivirus and any firewall that may be active, do you still experience this behavior?

-Dylan

Yes, M-2=USB, all others via network and hardwired via cat6 cable. M-2 always works. When I lost control pc and configure, all endpoints still worked on sooloos.

I dropped firewall and hooked 818 directly to computer and rebooted everything and 818 is now playing MQA.

Just curious are you running Sooloos and Roon at the same time? If so have you tried disabling or turning off your Sooloos core device?

I would run sooloos and roon side by side using sooloos on network and explorer w/ roon via usb. i now want to run strictly Roon on all and have turned off c-15.

Ok, so no Sooloos core.

no, it is shut down

818 now plays for about 5 minutes and stops. it is still hooked directly to the computer

Just stating the blindingly obvious here but are you sure you are running the up-to-date firmware? It would be a bit weird not to be - it would mean you hadn’t updated your C15 for years - but there was instability with Sooloos endpoints and Roon in the early days.

I think so. 2.538?

Thanks for the additional info, @james_newman1!

818 now plays for about 5 minutes and stops. it is still hooked directly to the computer

Just to confirm - The 818 now consistently shows up in Roon, but you are experiencing dropouts on it. Is it consistently every 5ish minutes? Is there anything in particular that seems to trigger this behavior (switching songs, using another app, etc.)?

How is the 818 connected to the Core?

Do you experience these dropouts with the Explorer 2?

-Dylan

When it drops, it disappears from Roon. I close and reboot Roon and it usually comes back. It has worked for up to 2 hours so far. As per your instructions, 818 is hooked directly to the computer (Roon core) but I have the McAfee firewall back in place. Explorer 2 has never had any problems whatsoever. It always works via USB.

Has worked for 14 hours now hooked directly to core with firewall up.

@james_newman1 That is the Sooloos version the latest 818fw is 4.00, the firmware release notes can be found here to see your current version press display on the MSR+ whilst the 818 is in standby.

Yes, 4.0. Thanks Russ.

Thank you for the update, @james_newman1!

Based on your latest update, it sounds like there may be some networking issues at play here. Since everything is working fine when connected directly to the Roon Core, there may be something that is preventing the connection over the network.

Is there any antivirus on the Core machine that you could disable? What about on the router, are there any firewall settings there you could turn off?

You also mentioned above that you are using a Netgear switch. If you remove the switch from the equation and connect everything directly to the router, does the experience improve any?

-Dylan

Okay Dylan, I turned off firewall, turned off antivirus, disconnected switch, hooked ms600 directly to router, rebooted router, rebooted computer, opened roon and just 818, (still hooked directly to the computer) is seen in devices.