Lost patience and faith in USB moved on

It may just be that the USBridge board was faulty all along. I would at least try the replacement board and see if things are better. I’m not a fan of USB either, but I did have a USBridge and used it for about 6 months without a hiccup.

If you want to pursue the S/PDIF route, I’d look at a Pi/DigiOne combo. I have used a (non-Signature) DigiOne in direct comparison with a Node2 for a few months – it was noticably better. The Node2 is a very nice and convenient Swiss army knife – but the DigiOne has the edge in SQ. I still have one in my system to toy around with.

1 Like

I don’t think I would replace it with another Allo product. Once bitten and all. Besides I was looking to simplify this setup as it’s my second system but actually listening more on it. As I only use a fairly low budget actives with this setup I think the node 2 would be a better fit overall.

Can only share experiences here. I very much wanted to like the Node – functionality wise it is a great box (remote control, services integration, clean source switching, etc.). It is very stable, though WiFi isn’t great. In the end it just did not sound good enough for my main system.

I still have a Pulse 2 in the bedroom though.

Yep everyone to their own. I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered a used one that’s only a few months old for a bit of a steal on that well known site. So will see if it’s up to it.

If it is good enough in that setup, it is good enough – and you’ll have a very nice endpoint to toy with. Enjoy!

1 Like

@RBM can you say any more about what you noticed in moving from the Node 2 to the DigiOne, and how you’re powering it? I keep toying with the idea of doing the same but am not sure whether it’s worth it for the change in SQ and functioning grouped playback, plus I’d miss the option for Bluetooth.

Edit: Just seen your post from a while back on this topic (https://community.roonlabs.com/t/node-2-awesome-any-limitations-vs-allo-digione/34056/16) so it may be that your earlier thoughts still stand.

SPDIF won’t support anything above 24/192.

This is why I avoid RPi solutions and stick with solid purpose built hardware like the Sonore microRendu or ultraRendu.

As I said I don’t care about higher. I don’t own anything and never will. Also won’t be using spdif plan is to replace my dac to. Simplification is the key. Usb is not this as it’s not reliable enough for me.

I’ve used various USB bridges for over eight years now. I was there right from the beginning with the first M2Tech HiFace, which really opened up the game of USB bridges. I’ve never had problems with any of them, except one chinese USB bridge ~five years ago and its drivers. I currently use Mutec MC-3+ USB and it works like a breeze. Maybe Allo’s solution is slightly more DIY than many other USB bridges out there? Usually it’s pretty straight forward, plug’n’play and maybe install drivers on Windows 10.

In comparison, the Node was a bit flat/dull while the DigiOne was a bit more dynamic, but perhaps a touch overexcited at the top end. In my system both were connected to a pair of Meridian DSP5200 speakers, directly at first and later via MiniDSP/Dirac. In the end I hooked up a Meridian MS200 – this integrates nicely into the system and for me has the sonic edge over the other two.

Mind that S/PDIF is not rocket science and that differences are subtle at best. If needed, I could easily live with any one.

1 Like

Thanks Rene, that’s really helpful to know.

1 Like

@CrystalGipsy
I would not use a Raspberry or Allo for USB. They share the same controller for Ethernet and USB, which is a recipe for misery from the start.
How about simply using a NUC, which will not set you back more than an Allo USBridge?

NUC7CJYH (Celeron J4005, 2x2.0GHz, max 2.7Hz)
Kingston SA400S37/120G
1x KVR24S17S6/4

Should cost no more than 200 USD. Note that it does not run ROCK, as it is UEFI boot only, so you need to use dietpi / RoonBridge. Roon Bridge should indicate any updates in the Roon Control Interface.

The older Celeron NUC is legacy boot capable, so it should run ROCK. But it has significantly lower single core performance:

NUC6CAYH (Celeron J3455, 4x1.5GHz max 2.3GHz)
Kingston SA400S37/120G
1x KVR16LS11/4

Allo is not like the Pi it has a completely separate board for usb audio. Im using the pi as a temporary measure I know it’s problems already. I don’t want a pc for this or I would have used something I have as I have tons of low powered nettops that could do the job already. I’m not sticking with USB I don’t find it relieable and have ordered a Bluesound Node 2 instead to replace both the Allo and hopefully my dac as well. Aiming for simplicity.

Sometimes turnkey products are the best. Happy owner of Bluesound Node 2. Replaced Allo and my Arcam irDac ii. Sounds great into my actives, no messing round just plugged it in. Happy customer :slight_smile: . Now for some MQA listening.

1 Like

Fair enough. Bluesound definitely is not a bad choice.

1 Like

What’s the output on the node2 3.5mm Jack or phonos?
I have a Sonos bridge driving my AE active speakers in the kitchen, to be honest I’ve kept it because of the Sonos alarms I use when we are on holiday but just noticed the alarms extension so node sounds interesting.

Output is phono, optical or coaxial. Might be a 3.5 too but not looked for it

Update only a 3.5 mm headphone out, but they do provide a phono to 3.5mm lead anyway.

1 Like

Thanks very much.

Which failed, the PI or the Allo hat? I have a HiFiBerry Digi+ that has survived electrical transients that felled the boot media in my FreeNAS home-brew server. Said server is now on Furman power conditioning.

Allo Hat failed.