Lose audio while track is playing

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 (latest updates), Roon Core 1.7 (521)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Asus ac68u router, DD-WRT v3.0-r40276a, all wired.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

RPi (4b, Digi+ Pro coaxial SP/DIF) RoPieee 1.0 (171) Ethernet cable

Schiit Modi Multibit (coaxial)

Description Of Issue

I introduced a raspberry PI with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Ropiee to my chain last week, I now have a problem where audio stops while the track appears to continue to play. If I leave it playing long enough sometimes the audio returns. Usually the inconvenient solution is to turn the DAC off and on again to get audio back. When I let an album play it will often be fine for a long time, although changing albums will often bring on the behaviour, sometimes even just browsing to the catalogue of artists/albums will sometimes make currently playing audio fail (or that could be a coincidence), certainly changing albums will bring on the problem.

Frequency: every listening session.

Hi @Heath_Innes,

Is the Pi connected directly to the router or are there any other networking devices used?

Are other endpoints besides the Pi working okay?

Is there any specific content that seems to cause this to happen more frequently, or does it happen with everything?

Hi Dylan. Everything connected to router, no other endpoints, happens with everything. I tried changing buffer to 25ms, and lowering sample to 24/48. Still the same.

The variables from a perfectly working setup previously was the addition of the Pi and the change to SP/DIF in on the DAC. I have also lodged a fault in the RoPieee forum but no response yet.

I have appeared to have narrowed it down to the router. I turned off ‘Shortcut Forwarding Engine’ in DD WRT and I’ve been running successfully for a few hours now.

I tried hooking PC, Pi, and NAS to an unmanaged switch (then to the router) and it was a lot longer until the problem showed up. Whether or not that means anything, it gave me the idea to switch off the SFE in router.

Thanks so much for you guys looking into it for me, I appreciate it. Here’s hoping it’s all solved. Cheers.

1 Like

Thanks for the update, @Heath_Innes.

I’m glad that things are working for you now! Please feel free to reach out if you ever have any other questions or issues. Happy listening :headphones:

update: so I believe I got it wrong about the Shortcut Forwarding Engine. Today the audio glitch returned. When I had made the router change, I had also turned off power savings in Window to just let tracks play while testing. I had always had the Modi Multibit DAC attached to the PC USB port too, so I believe that and the Windows power settings were interfering with DAC. I have had DAC attached solely to the RPi and audio is flawless once again.
So, the solution for this problem is to not leave Modi Multibit attached to Windows USB while using RPi endpoint SP/DIF. Or, at least turn off Windows power saving.

Thanks again for all your help

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.