Lose connection to Raspberry Pi

Hi…

I am using Synology for the Roon server. It’s on an external drive contected to the NAS (as recommended). I have a Raspbery Pi 3 with Ropieee (previously was using squeezelite). At leaset twice a day I the Raspberry Pi loses connection and either have to wait for the re connection and restart the playlist or that I need to reboot as it no longer appears as an audio device.

When it works it works well, but losing the connection twice a day is odd.

Any thoughts or more information needed?

Thanks for your help

Edward

Similar problem I am experiencing

Hi @Edward_LeBlanc — Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us, both are appreciated!

Moving forward, can you please provide me with the following:

• The model/specs of the NAS you’re using.

• Please describe how the RPi 3 is being accessed across your network. I want to have a complete understanding of what this audio zone entails (audio gear, networking equipment etc).

• Is this the only audio zone you notice this behavior with?

• Out of curiosity, do you notice this issue with the RPi3 when the same playlist is in use every time?

-Eric

Thanks for getting back to me.

The NAS is the Synology DS2413+ with upgraded RAM (4GB total). Roon Labs server is install on a USB SSD drive attached to the NAS.

The RPi3 has the Ropiee image installed (was using Squeezelight via Max2Play…had the same issues). The RPi3 is connected to the network via ethernet.

I have one wired speaker zone on the main floor that is connected directly to the RPi3. I access the RPi3 via the Roon interface on an ipad, an android tablet, PC and an iPhone.

The connection issue is not related to one thing. It happens when I use any playlist or internet radio. It randomly stops playing then tries to reconnect to the server. Sometimes it shows the connection to the core and all I have to do is press play to start things up again. Other times it shows no audio device and I have to restart the RPi3 in order for it to appear under audio devices (this happened a lot when I was using squeezelight, which is why I changed to Ropiee)

Let me know if that helps or if you need anything more

Hi @Edward_LeBlanc ----- Thank you for touching base with me and providing the requested feedback. Having some further insight into this behavior is very appreciated :thumbsup:

Moving forward, I would like to propose the following test to see if we can trigger a change in behavior here. Please see below.

Testing with a new RAATServer folder in place.

• Without the application running, please locate your RAATServer folder which will be in the same directory as your Roon database.

• Once located, please rename your RAATServer folder to “RAATServer_Old”.

• Please relaunch the application and let me know how things hold up.

-Eric

I’ll just note that the symptoms you’re describing could also be a more generalized performance issue – running on the SSD will help, and if your collection is small this may be something else. The tests @Eric is walking you through will help us understand this issue better.

To be clear, this is what’s got me wondering about performance:

As a point of reference, this is a comparison of the processor we recommend as a minimum, versus the processor in that particular Synology:

You may see drastically better performance from something like ROCK, but if something is amiss here, Eric will help figure it out.

1 Like

Thanks Eric. Renamed the folder I’ll keep an eye on things over the next few days and get back to you. Thanks for the help…very appreciated

Edward

1 Like

The limitations of the Synology app became quite obvious when I started adding apps. If it does come down to the NAS limitations I may look into the ROCK. I’m okay with just using the NAS for storage (with some less intensive apps)

1 Like

Hi Eric…

So here is what happened over the weekend. I followed your directions form the previous post. I also turned off all non essential apps running on the Synology. I also stopped the Roon Server from assessing each song. Started a playlist using my iPad and did not have one problem (music played continually). I started turning on apps (one at a time) on the Synology and then the msuic would stop interminatnly.

So the Synology is the source of my problem.

I am now looking at the ROCK. The majority of my songs are in the ALAC format. I have over 72k songs. My plan is to keep the Synology for music storage.

Would I be able to get away with a NUC7i3BNH with more memory or do you recommend the NUC7i7BNH? Would I really notice a difference between the two processors?

Thanks again for your help

Edward

Hi @Edward_LeBlanc ---- Thank you for touching base and sharing the observations you’ve made during your testing.

Moving forward, as it states in our knowledge base, we recommend using the NUC7i3BNH (4GB RAM and 64GB M.2 SSD) for small/medium sized libraries and the NUC7i7BNH for larger collections. If you are planning on using the DSP engine to great lengths or any other cpu intensive features, I always side with more power under the “hood” :wink:

-Eric

Thanks Eric