Lose Contact with Roon Core at night. Roon Database Not Ready

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel NUC 8 Mainstream Kit (NUC8i7BEH) - Core i7, Tall

Roon Software Version 1.7 (build 610)

[Transcend 128GB Nvme PCIe Gen3 X4 MTE110S M.2 SSD Solid State Drive TS128GMTE110S]

[Crucial 8GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/S (PC4-19200) SR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT8G4SFS824A]

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet Connection to NUC.

ASUS AC2900

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

NUC HDMI Connection to Oppo BluRay

Use MacBook Air 10.15.6, iPad Pro, Android Pixel 3, Windows 10 to connect to ROCK via the network by wifi.

Music library connected by USB to the NUC

Description Of Issue

Since the last update, 1/2 of my nights between 10pm and 5am I lose connection to the Roon Core. The next morning the webpage states “Not Ready” in red under "Roon Database & Settings.” Or the webpage won’t load at all but the NUC is listed as still connected to my wifi with same IP address when I query my network. This has also happened once in the afternoon.

A hard reboot directly from the power button on the Intel NUC solves the problem.

I was one of the 0.4% who had to run a recovery with the latest version of ROCK after you released Build 1.0.221 this past month. Ever since the update that followed I started losing connection with the core many mornings somewhere around 3 am.

It does not appear to me that there were any other problems with the home network during that time.

(Sometimes when I hard reboot the Roon server doesn’t load unless I reboot without a usb drive attached. I checked the BIOS loading setup and the USB drive is listed after the M.2)

You may be having hardware problems posdibly with the m2 drive given the symptoms.

Hello @CoralRad, and my apologies for the issue here. Could you please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cjszfx4acgd7mrr/[email address]?dl=0

Hi @CoralRad,

We just wanted to let you know that we have scheduled a meeting with our QA team to discuss the findings from the logs you shared. We’ll be in touch ASAP.

Hi @dylan, really curious if has been determined what caused this behaviour, as I have the exact same problem with my NUC8i7BEH running ROCK (latest version installed).

The problem occurs not as frequent as in the case of the OP, but I have to reboot my NUC about once a week to solve the lost connection.

Still happening on my system most days. It now occurs during day hours, no longer same time each day. No solution yet from tech support.

Thanks for the update!

Things are deteriorating further, had to reboot several times the last 2 days. Reboot x 3 didn’t work today. So at system re-start I hit F2 and got this message: “S.M.A.R.T. Status Bad, Backup and Replace
Press F1 to resume”

On pressing F1, Roon re-booted and it is currently working again. I have backed Roon data up.

Looking through other postings I see that others have had somewhat similar issues. Some have replaced the M.2 SSD successfully and others have had the SSD fail multiple times. One posting had the NUC itself serviced under warranty to have the problem fixed after deciding it was not an SSD problem after all.

Any advice?

I am fine trying a new SSD but would rather not purchase the same one, which is currently still recommended on the Roon help pages under the ROCK setup guide. Any recommendations on a new M.2? Should I send the entire NUC back to Intel? It is still under warranty. Is there a better model NUC I should purchase? Is there any way this is a software issue?

I replaced the M.2 SSD Transcend drive with a Sony 970 EvoPlus NVMe M.2 drive today and restored the database from a recent backup. I’ll post back in a few days if it is still working or sooner if I lose connection on the new SSD.

Keep us posted. Hopefully this resolves the issue.

1 Like

You aren’t the first on the forum to have Roon problems because a Transcend drive went south.

I think they used to be recommended by Roon. If that’s true, Roon needs to pull that recommendation.

1 Like

Well, it has been 3 days since I installed the new Samsung M.2 drive and I have not lost connection yet. So it seems the problem is resolved.

Also, I see that the Roon team’s recommendations for which drive to buy have been updated to the same Samsung SSD drive that I purchased. I am glad to see that they have dropped the Transcend drive recommendation since there have been several postings on this forum indicating the drive fails frequently.

If you bought the Transcend drive as I did, you know what to do if you start to lose connection…

Good to hear! Did you get any input from @support on this?

I wonder if they can deduct from the logs if there is a hardware failure.

I sent the logs, they told me they were discussing them at a meeting, but I never heard back about it. Then, 20+ days later, I decided to get a new M.2 and they gave me a little guidance on installation.

Hi @CoralRad, how is your Samsung ssd doing? Did the problems stop after you’ve installed it?

I still lose connection about once a week so I might try a new ssd as well.

It’s great. Not only did it solve my problem of losing connection, but Roon is running better. Much faster response. Best thing I’ve done with Roon since I set up the Nuc.

That’s great to hear. I’m going to try this as well.

Hope it works for you. Good Luck.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.