Losing connection to core daily need to restart server

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 7 Machine latest Roon build

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Core machine is connected directly to router using ethernet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

I have several different types of audio devices.

Description Of Issue

My Roon server says it’s running, but I can’t connect to core using any roon apps. Just says searching for core. If I restart the server or the computer it connects instantly. I setup nightly restarts of the computer, but the problem still persists. It happens after I haven’t used the roon for several hours. I have totally turned off the firewall, checked my ethernet setting to make sure nothing to going the sleep and even uninstalled all anti-virus, but I still need to restart the server daily. I’m running one extension “Deep Harmony”. Any help would be appreciated.

It would be helpful to know the router Daniel.

Asus RT-AC68U

See if your router has a “Multicast Routing” setting, enable it.

Firewall on? are your devices on Wifi on the same network segment?

Hi @Daniel_Natale,

What kind of remote devices are you using? Are they connected via Ethernet or WiFi?

As Peter mentioned, enabling Multicast Routing may help here. Can you try this and let us know if there is any change?

I enabled Multicast routing. I will monitor to see that helps.

Firewall is off and yes same network segment

Okay, issue is still happening with multicast routing turned on. Looks like a memory issue or something. My physical memory shows that is it maxed out after using the roon for a while. I have 8 gbs of ram. Any idea how to correct this?

I have multiple different types of end points. Mainly Chromecast, sonos and Squeezebox.

Also, I have a library of over 50k tracks. All flac files.

Do you use Roon’s search function a lot?

I use all of Roon’s functions. Not sure what determines a lot.

More than 4-5 times in 30 minutes? More than 20 times per day? I’m not sure either. But I have noticed that performance slows considerably (as checked by processing speed) when I use search a lot.

Hi @Daniel_Natale,

How long after a restart does this occur?

Can you provide some details on your Core machine?

I usually works fine in the morning before work, but by the time I get home it will no longer connect. Also, if I don’t even use it that day it usually won’t connect when I get home in the evening. Also, today I worked from home and started listening for a couple of hours in the morning and also updated some metadata and it got extremely slow and eventually lost it’s connection. It took a couple of hours before that happened. When I checked the resources on the core machine Roon had used up about 7.9 gbs of memory. Core machine specs. HP laptop I7-3520M CPU @ 2.90GHz 8.00GM of RAM, Windows 7.

You may need to find out how much RAM each process consumed. There may be other software running on your Windows, causing inadequate free RAM for Roon.

I modified my virtual memory settings and so far it’s been up since yesterday. I will monitor and report back.

I just tried it again and it won’t connect. I’m wondering it has something to do with enabling squeezebox support. I’m going to disable it for the next few days to see if there is any change in behavior.

Also, what’s difference between Roonappliance and RoonServer?