Losing connection when using second ROCK as endpoint

I take an HDMI output from a ROCK NUC for surround sound.

In order to separate the Core and Endpoint, I have two ROCK NUCs on the same network. My problem is that when using the endpoint NUC, I often lose connection and music stops playing. I usually have to wait a couple of minutes for the connection to be restored.

I also use another endpoint, a Linn DSM for stereo. When using the DSM the problem doesn’t occur, suggesting that the issue is with the ROCK endpoint.

Can anyone help me with this problem? Many thanks.

I would be surprised if the server specially prepared for the core can compete twice. HE is not really the client, but the server. It may be easier with normal PCs, tablets, smartphones.

1 Like

Except you are not really doing that. Even if you are using the other Core as a primary, the one you attach to the DAC is still running a database, it is still sending out its own busy network queries. You want to be using RoonBridge, not, another Core, as an endpoint.

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice.

So RoonBridge is the way to go. Looks like I am going to have to learn how to use Linux or put up with Windows constant updates.

1 Like

Or get a raspberry pi and load one of the images like Ropiee, diet Pi, etc

Then repurpose or resell the other NUC.

1 Like

With a Raspberry Pi 4 running RoPieee or RoPieeeXL, you simply download one file and burn it to an SD card. Shove the card into the RPi4 and you’re done.

1 Like

Thanks, I need a NUC. The Raspberry Pi won’t do surround.

1 Like

For more than 4 years I have a same configuration:
One NUC (ROCK) is the core server, a second NUC (also ROCK) is the client to the DAC (USB connection)
Both NUC are in the same network with Eathernet cable.

For every update that also includes an update of the bridge, I proceed as follows:

first update the Roon Core with the music database and all remote clients. (Win 10, Android, iOS)
Then de-authorize the first Roon core, connect to the second core and do the update here. Then reconnect to the 1 core.
This has worked for many years without a single problem. (Maybe it’s a bit cumbersome, but it was a quick and easy solution back then - and it sounds VERY GOOD too)
BTW: Haven’t updated to B.943 yet. I really hope I don’t get the same problem.

I’m using also a small PC with Rock as “multichannel HDMI endpoint” without any (network) problems + a “backup core” on a NAS, which can also act as endpoint.
If Roon becomes an update, I don’t change like Rüdiger the used core, but reload/reinstall the software on the Rock system and the NAS.

My experience is, that a Rock system is the best endpoint for HDMI audio and if you’ve problems with the network, I’ll first try to reinstall it clean (without the former database), deactivate there all audio endpoints and the file sources.

1 Like

There should be no problem about using a second NUC with ROCK installed as an endpoint, particularly if you want to use the HDMI connection to feed a surround sound system.

You’re just not using the Core component of Roon, only the Output component.

Don’t forget that Roon installed on a PC or a Mac will also have the Core component present, but it’s not being used when the Core is running on another device (e.g. a Nucleus or another RCK/NUC)

Yes, you could use Linux and RoonBridge, but then you would lose the “appliance” aspect of ROCK.

Danny confirmed this use of a second ROCK/NUC was OK some time ago.

2 Likes

This losing connection is not normal, so I would advise you to open a support request in the Support category of the forum. Please fill out the template you will get when creating a new post to describe your setup in detail. Thanks.

2 Likes

@Geoff_Coupe thanks for the explanation, with this I learned that actually always also the server or the core may be installed, but not used twice at the same time. The use like a bridge or remote control is not more restricted even on NUC with Rock than on all other devices.

Many thanks for all the replies. I’ll post in support

Problem solved.

The ROCK NUC5i3 that I am using as an endpoint for multi-channel only had 4GB of RAM.

Adding another 8GB has cured my problem with an added bonus that it sounds better.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.