Losing Roon Server Consistently On Network

Innuos MKII SE Server running Linux. Roon 1.7 Build 610

All hardware hardwired. Various routers (Verizon Actiontec Cable Modem>Trendnet TEG-S80G>Netgear GS 108>Uptone Audio Ether Regen > Server

Have zero issue with any other software or hardware on my network.

USB to PS Audio Directstream DAC

Since the last update my Roon server has been very unstable. Often I’ll start listening and it will stop after 1 song. Sometimes if I stop/start the song it will restart after 5 mins or so. Most of the time not. Controls seem unresponsive and delayed. Eventually I’ll reboot everything and try again and it won’t start playing immediately after reboot but eventually will play after about an hour of messing around

Is anyone else having this issue? Extremely frustrating to the point my music library is essentially unusable

Roon is on an Innuos server and my entire network is hardwired.Control devices are wi-fi of course (iPad/iPhone)

Thank you

Yesterday same condition. Song 1 played ok. Stopped. Songs in queue/radio on

Rebooted my entire network in sequence twice. Same

Hit Play From Here on next song in queue. Nothing. After about an hour it started playing

No Support?

Hi @Frank_DeMello,

Thanks for your patience here while your case reached our support queue.

Can you please confirm if this same behavior occurs when you try to use another endpoint, such as a Roon Remote’s internal speakers (iOS/Android output)?

What kind of content are you playing when this issue occurs, is it local content or streaming (TIDAL/Qobuz)?

Thanks Norris

I have noticed it with both local files & streaming (Qobuz). Maybe more when in Radio mode where Qobuz is being added to the queue

Right now I’m shuffling my local library and it is working

I’ll do some more testing as suggested and advise

Thank you

Yesterday I tried the following:

*Local Library to PS Audio DAC - Shuffled local library for 24 hrs. No issues
*iPad Output - no issues. Played for about 16 hours with no issues
*iMac Output - simultaneously streamed to my MAC for about 14 hours. No issues

Sure seems like Roon’s issue is the PS Audio DAC. Keep in mind I had no issues prior to the update.

Others are reporting this same issue with the PS Audio over at AS

Hi @Frank_DeMello,

It sounds like these tests went on without any issue?

Can you provide a link?

Have you tried to temporarily host the Roon Core on a different PC to see if the issue still occurs? That would at least allow you to eliminate the Innuous Core as being part of the equation. To switch Cores:

  • Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings -> General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

Yes

I haven’t tried moving the core. At some point I’ll try it. No other users are reporting issues similar to this?

I did try a suggestion from AS on the buffer time on my DAC endpoint from 0ms to 500ms. Will report back if it helps.
Today my server is playing normally but I expect the problems to continue because they have been going on for awhile

Thank you

1 Like

Hello

PS Audio is pointing at Roon as the issue:

I would really like to avoid moving the Core since all my music is on the server.

From what I understand other users with the same issue have been instructed to uninstall/re-install Roon. Roon is aware there is an issue.

Is that the recommendation and how do I go about that on my server?

Note: I did try to raise the Resync Delay on the PS Audio endpoint from 0ms to 500ms as suggested by others. Did not solve the issue

I can only stream local files currently without stoppages. Please advise & thank you

Hi @Frank_DeMello,

Paul is definitely correct that this issue is definitely occurring on the RoonServer side of things vs an issue happening on the DAC, there are almost certainly environmental factors that are resulting in this errors occurring. For the vast majority of our customers this type of issue isn’t occurring, and so we need to understand what about your specific setup is resulting in this issue.

I’d like to second Noris’ suggestion for trying a different Core. It’s not something that you need to do permanently, but it’ll help us understand a bit more about this behavior. If things work with that Core then we know we need to focus specifically on how Roon and the Innuos are interacting. If the other Core doesn’t work, then we know it’s a broader issue and we should focus on the network or other common factors.

1 Like

Hello Dylan - understood. I will try to carve out some time to move the Core

I am having a bit better stability with the Resync set to 1000ms (tried from 0ms>500ms>1000ms with the former 2 having issues):