Losing Roon Server Consistently On Network

Hi @Frank_DeMello,

Since this issue occurs across two different Cores here, we do not believe that this is related to the RoonServer setup, but rather could be an endpoint issue. I would like to have our team take a look at logs when this issue occurs to see if we can gather more information.

Can I please ask that you switch back to the Mac as the Roon Core, reproduce the issue and note the exact local time + date + track of failure and then use these instructions to send us a log set for review? Thanks!

Hello - I have moved the core back to my MAC and it has been running with no issues for 36 hours

It is running to the Innuous as an endpoint (finally worked) to the PS Audio DAC via USB so this closely approximates my prior setup

Will monitor & report back

Im having problems with roon server as well. Remotes just cannot find the server on my network.
Ive already had to move the core to another computer which i thought had solved the problem…until today and the core has disappeared.
I have tried all the usual stuff of reboots etc.
Tbh im getting a bit frustrated all i want to do is listen to music, Im not a computer nerd…but that seems to be what you have to be to get roon to work. It is sooo not ready for the general public.
I suspect i will stop my subscription once it up for renewal…the cost in time, unrelibility and money is not worth the wonderful front end and metadata.

Hello Norris/Tech Support,
It stopped again on my MAC core around 2PM on 1/15. Ran for approx 47 hours before stopping. Link below to logs:

Please advise & thank you

1 Like

I know you guys are busy but I want to put my issue into perspective:

Started for me around May 2020 (Build 555) or June 2020 (Build 571) updates
Struggled trying to figure out the source between May/June - Sep
Posted this support request in Sep 2020

As you can see I am going on 8-9 months of struggling with a product that is not working for me

Hopefully Support can prioritize based on this. I doubt many people in the queue have struggled this long.

When I went back to the Innuos it stopped after the first song. Restarted and played for about 12 hours and stopped. I have found that hitting the play controls (back/pause/fwd/play) and doing nothing else will restart it at some point

I would also ask that since it is worse on the Innuos (and that is my primary server) why aren’t we getting the Innuos logs? Innuos support is very helpful since we’ll need their help to get the Linux logs

Thank you

Hi @Frank_DeMello,

Thank you for changing the Core and for sending the logs. This test helps us clarify if the issue was with the Core device being used, and it appears that it is not related to the Core.

Your Roon logs have some interesting clues here, and I believe this is the main source of the issue here:

01/15 12:02:43 Trace: [PS Audio (Innuos)] [Lossless, 16/44 QOBUZ FLAC => 16/44] [100% buf] [PLAYING @ 0:01/5:44] The Last in Line - Dio
01/15 12:02:53 Trace: [PS Audio (Innuos)] [Lossless 30.8x, 16/44 QOBUZ FLAC => 16/44] [56% buf] [PLAYING @ 0:12/5:44] The Last in Line - Dio
01/15 12:02:58 Trace: [PS Audio (Innuos)] [Lossless 40.8x, 16/44 QOBUZ FLAC => 16/44] [34% buf] [PLAYING @ 0:17/5:44] The Last in Line - Dio
01/15 12:03:04 Trace: [PS Audio (Innuos)] [Lossless 10.9x, 16/44 QOBUZ FLAC => 16/44] [6% buf] [PLAYING @ 0:22/5:44] The Last in Line - Dio
01/15 12:03:15 Warn: [PS Audio (Innuos)] [zoneplayer/raat] Too many dropouts (>3s dropped out in the last 30s). Killing stream
01/15 12:03:17 Info: Alert: qobuz: qobuz_media_slow

As you can see in the top line, Roon was buffering the track, and the track buffer dropped towards 0% as playback continued, meaning something in the network wasn’t keeping up with the track buffering.

Looking over your logs, I am only noticing this issue occurring when you are streaming Qobuz tracks, and they all are following the same pattern as above, where the buffers are not being filled up in time.

When you ran this test to the iMac output, were you streaming your local library or Qobuz content?

I’ve tried to enable diagnostics mode for your Innuos Core and what this should have done is deliver a log set to our servers, however I’m not seeing this log report come in. If you have manual Innuous logs, please do send me a set.

What router are you using here? Does it have the latest firmware updated? Is there any change in behavior if you try to bypass the switch? How are your DNS servers on the router configured, are you using Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS?

Also from previous issues, if you have a chance to try out another switch without costs please give it a try as other users reported success swapping out that switch for one from another brand.

Hello

“When you ran this test to the iMac output, were you streaming your local library or Qobuz content?” Running Roon Radio so yes Qobuz was included in the tracks

“I’ve tried to enable diagnostics mode for your Innuos Core and what this should have done is deliver a log set to our servers, however I’m not seeing this log report come in. If you have manual Innuous logs, please do send me a set.”
Please try again or point me towards what would not allow you to get these logs to your server

“What router are you using here? Does it have the latest firmware updated? Is there any change in behavior if you try to bypass the switch? How are your DNS servers on the router configured, are you using Cloudflare DNS , Quad9 or Google DNS ?”

This has been my path most of the time:
Verizon Actiontec Cable Modem/Router>Cat5>Trendnet TEG-S80G 8-Port Switch (unmanaged)>Ghent Cat6a>Netgear GS-108 5 Port (unmanaged)>Ghent Cat6a>Uptone Audio Ether Regen>Sablon 2020 LAN>Innuos Server
Are you looking for details on the Verizon router settings?

To simplify over the weekend I removed the Netgear:
Verizon Actiontec Cable Modem/Router>Cat5>Trendnet TEG-S80G 8-Port Switch (unmanaged)>Ghent Cat6a>Uptone Audio Ether Regen>Sablon 2020 LAN>Innuos Server

Same stoppages

Keep in mind either before or after nothing else on my network has had any trouble (no dropouts/stuttering.stoppages) on any of the myriad of devices on this network

One other thing. Based on some forum advice I did change the buffering to 1000ms from 0 (ramping this up slowly). No impact at any point. Should I leave this there?

Thank you

Hi BlackJack - this will be my next test. Thank you

I have similar problem.Roon core in Mac OS 11.1.ethernet connected to Streamer Linn Majik DS.When reproducing from Library external hard disk connected to Mac via USB 3.There interruptions.On the display of LINN it appears a sand clock as signal of waiting signal.
My router is ethernet connected both to LINN and to Mac.
There are as well interruptions when reproducing from Tidal.
When I do reproduce directly to Homepod airplay from a web streaming like youtube or other no interruptions.
When I utilize just the Linn server withouth Roon there are not interruptions.So it shall be a roon problem.
Any possible help?

Hi BlackJack - pulled out the Trendnet for a Netgear F-105. Been running for 25 hours so far. We’ll see if it keeps running but that was a great suggestion to try this.

If it works I’ll need something else since I need at min 8 ports (would like 16 for expansion)

1 Like

Unfortunately it stopped after approx 32 hours. Looks like it’s not the network switch

Back to the drawing board on a solution although I am looking to replace that Trendnet

Looking for a response from support:

*Were you able to look at the Innuos logs?
*What should the resync delay be set to and would it have any impact on this problem?
*Will upcoming Roon update help this issue at all?
*Next steps in troublshooting?

Thank you

Is there going to be any support from Roon on this issue? 12 days since my answers to their questions. 8 mos in on this problem

I have been looking at my network but I have 0 problems with any other device/service.

Have you used the innuos own software and tried Qobuz to that to see if the issues go away and it all plays ball? This would help elimatae somethings. If it the same then I would take out all the switches and connect direct to router then work forward adding one at time over a few days to see if this changes any of this behaviour. Having so many switches in the chain could lead to some issues, either bad port, cable or communication. Also might be worth checking your not geting too much latency connecting to Qobuz, your ISP might be having DNS or routing issues to theirs and Roons CDN’s.

Hi Simon. Thanks for the advice.

I only have a few options in the Innuos

Will try a 3rd party app iPeng via UPnP which has always been very stable (and great sounding). Have 500 Qobuz songs queue’d up. We’ll see

I have reconfigured a bit and right now there are only 2 switches (if we say the Uptone ER is a switch):

ISP Cable Modem/Router>Cat5>Trendnet TEG-S80G>Cat6a>Ether Regen>Server

Connecting direct to the cable modem would require 50’ of cable to test (don’t have). I can try to bypass the ER though

Not sure how to check this:

Also might be worth checking your not geting too much latency connecting to Qobuz, your ISP might be having DNS or routing issues to theirs and Roons CDN’s

Thanks again

36 hours bypassing Roon with iPeng/Innuos on a 100% Qobuz stream. No stoppages in 36 hours

So far it sure looks like a Roon issue for me. Hoping 1.8 addresses some of the network stability problems and is not just a facelift…

Hello @Frank_DeMello,

Thank you for the additional information, and apologies regarding the delay in getting back to you here, bandwidth has been a bit limited with the upcoming release, let me address some of your questions below:

I just checked our diagnostics servers and it appears that your logs from the Innuous Core are still not being delivered. Do you by any chance have manual access to the Innuous as a network share device? It seems like this server exposes an SMB share on the network, but I cannot comment if manual logs are included in the share:

Have you attempted to play to one of your System Output zones (built-in speakers) for the same amount of time it takes to get into this state on the PS Audio DAC? That should help solidify the theory that just the PS Audio is impacted here.

Resync delay shouldn’t make a difference here, it mostly affects SPDIF inputs when switching sample rates. To test if sample rates play a part here, a better test is to use Roon’s DSP Engine and up-sample all content to the same rate, you can give this a try:

With the upcoming release it would be good to check the behavior, but if this is a network or DAC issue then the issue would still remain even after the new release. Please let me know if any of the above tests yields useful information as it can help narrow down the issue even further, thanks!

Thanks Norris - I am sure you guys are very busy :grinning:

I will take a look at these suggestions/tests and advise

My streaming did eventually stop using iPeng/Innuos player bypassing Roon. Back to looking at my network. Am in the process of upgrading a router. We’ll see

Thank you

1 Like

1.8 did not solve my issue. In fact it may have been worse initially. Now it seems like it always has been: regular stoppages

This is with a new UniFi router in place.

I still have to dig into Norris’s questions

1 Like