Lossless… Apple Music, Amazon, Spotify (soon)… Roon?

I have a lifetime Roon subscription. I have a Qobuz account but I really only use Roon streaming from my ripped library. Qobuz is for exploring and once in a while buying a download. Nothing else. I guess I have an iTunes account and an Amazon account, but I never use them. Buy physical media and rip it. That is the only way to go for many reasons including getting the artists paid.

7 Likes

Same for me: I am using Roon just with the collection of my ripped CDs. Even with this limited use case the usage of Roon makes perfect sense for me. However I understand the concerns of those who are using streaming services. But for me even the worst case scenario (Qobuz and Tidal shutting down and other streaming services not yet implemented in Roon) is no showstopper for using Roon. Of course I have also a lifetime subscription.

2 Likes

Apple‘s movement toward HI-DEF and the release of musicKit, which provides an Apple Music API, would allow Roon to offer Apple Music alongside TIDAL and Qobuz. That would seem to be an advantage to Roon.

The potential of FOCUS over that collection, especially if FOCUS were promoted to a more central position in the Roon UI, would give it a significant edge over such a formidable collection of music. (I thought there was a FOCUS screen earlier that could open empty except all search tokens could be touched. If that is still there, I can’t find it. Maybe I’m mistaken. In any case, that would be my preferred path into Roon. And completely forgetting the original topic couldn’t FOCUS sentences be named and stored like playlists.)

3 Likes

Tidal is literally the music industry itself (the husband of Bionce), he doesn’t need to make money with Tidal and doubt he will go out of business. He will always get more from the music industry itself and earlier as well than any other company trying to go lossless or whatever. Not worrying at all, LoL

Markets undergo evolution. Tidal & Qobuz are early entrants going after the innovators - to do that, they have a higher price/margin in order to develop/deliver service. As the market moves from early innovation to broadening, the way to make money shifts from margin on a transaction to scale (lower margin across a larger market).

If Tidal and Qobuz have trapped themselves into a business model/contracts that don’t allow them to make the shift, they’ll fail (either close or be bought for their technology/user base). If they haven’t, they have a chance to evolve their models if they are smart enough.

go streaming now ! … your missing out tremendous value and broadening you musical scope

3 Likes

I probably get more diverse exposure streaming RadioParadise than from anything! :wink:

1 Like

:grinning:… let me challenge you my friend… the radio function in Roon will brighten your days

1 Like

Apple has no history of underselling competitors.

Personally, I’m not happy with the prospect that all businesses will or must be gigantic. There are customers who will pay for better or more specialized services and products. I would be happier with Tidal if they were to offered non-MQA files, but that is so far a separate issue. It could become the main monopolistic issue.

Spotify apps beat all the rest, hands down. Connect is a killer feature. Their personalization and discovery features are the best. Their “radio” feature is the best. They have come a long way since the last time I tried them. Roon integration would mostly be a downgrade.

1 Like

I agree, I listen extensively through Tidal and none of it is hip hop. Not my taste.

A downgrade for Roon, why? Isn’t adding Spotify to Roon just adding another source?

If you meant a downgrade for Spotify functionality when comparing the Roon app with the Spotify app, then you haven’t quite grasped what Roon is, exactly.

3 Likes

Been using roon for a while. 100% up to speed on all its features and functionality. Roon has raat, superior zone handling, and powerful per-zone dsp that spotify is missing. Focus and bookmarks and other library management features are nice, too. But for discovery, radio, playlists, and just find something and play it enjoyment, I hate to say it but spotify is nicer. More like fun than work.

2 Likes

When’s the last time you opened the last update of Tidal app?

You might be surprised at the home screen now…

You must have latest update though otherwise the home screen will look just like when you last used it.

There was a major change to home screen some months ago…

4 Likes

Hip-Hop :slight_smile: I read this entire thread and my main takeaway is some people on here don’t like hip-hop, even the very mention of it seems to cause a reaction (Hip-Hop, Hip-Hop, Hip-Hop :grinning: )

Roon is ace, everything evolves and changes, we’re all just here for the ride, let’s enjoy it while we can!

Happy listening everyone :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It’s been a couple of months. It’s okay. I just find the new releases to be spotty on what I actually like. Anyway, I still have a sub, and there are a few things Qobuz doesn’t have, I just don’t want duplicates, so need to figure out how to have both services available in Roon, the bulk Qobuz and the few Tidal things. I suppose hide most of the Tidal stuff? Or un-heart it in the App before signing it into Roon? Housekeeping not my forte…

1 Like

What a load of hippity hoppity !

:grin:

Unfortunately it offers no such thing at all. It’s a very limited API for phone/tablet apps and web pages. It doesn’t allow for streaming content in 3rd party players nor integrate the library the way Roon does and the way it needs it’d data. It’s been around for a few years already it’s nothing new at all just a rebrand.

This is it in a nutshell. For exploring new content Spotify wins hands down. If just playing your own library then roon probably wins.

1 Like

Roon life sub. On Nucleus
Tidal sub.
30k tracks on personal library
Currently listening to Amazon HD via New Bluesound NODE coax out to Vega G2 - Very impressive.

• NODE abilities to virtually stream everything.
    Try it out and you won’t be disappointed.

I think I will keep both Tidal and Amazon for a while. I may decide to drop one. Watch this space