Lost access to PC output after 1310 update [Ticket in]

Hi
I often play music via Roon on my PC when sitting there working on letters, spreadsheets or the like.
With the new 1310 update I’ve lost that ability. The output isn’t visible under ‘Audio’ either (I wondered if it might’ve been disabled somehow). I’ve restarted the NUC and the server software, and also the PC that the remote runs on.
Any thoughts?

Hello @Michael_Curtis !
Thanks for reporting!
Did you manually update Roon, or via automatic update?

Thanks,
Andrew

I would like to report the same issue. Updated automatically and now no PC output available on client computer (Windows 11). The Roon Server is running on a separate Intel NUC and it appears to be just fine and showing its connected outputs as usual.

I manually updated. My setup is similar to @Jeff_Rueger’s.

Yup, same here. Automatically updated both a ROCK/NUC Server and a Roon client running on Windows 11, and now all the audio devices on my Windows 11 PC have vanished…

Not good.

I suspect that the only reason that I’m seeing the System Output on Degas (a Windows 10 PC) is that it is still running a Production build…

I have this issue as well. I also don’t see raatserver.exe running.

Looking at the logs I think the issue is, as mentioned earlier, that the RaatServer doesn’t start correctly and then shuts down (and this keeps on repeating). In the Roon log I see the following:

08/17 11:48:14 Info: [raatserver] [runner] Start or Connect…
08/17 11:48:14 Info: [raatserver] [runner] Start or Connect… C:\Users\JeffRueger\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\RAATServer.exe
08/17 11:48:14 Info: ConnectOrStartAndWaitForExit RAATServer, path: C:\Users\JeffRueger\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\RAATServer.exe
08/17 11:48:16 Warn: AddTopLevel: popup_device_update(3399)
08/17 11:48:16 Info: [raatserver] [runner] Status: Started
08/17 11:48:21 Warn: AddTopLevel: popup_zone_picker(2137)
08/17 11:48:21 Warn: AddTopLevel: popup_zone_picker(2137)
08/17 11:48:24 Warn: exception starting raatserver: System.Net.Internals.SocketExceptionFactory+ExtendedSocketException (10061): No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. 127.0.0.1:9004
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect(EndPoint remoteEP)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect(IPAddress address, Int32 port)
at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient.Connect(String hostname, Int32 port)
— End of stack trace from previous location —
at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient.Connect(String hostname, Int32 port)
at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient…ctor(String hostname, Int32 port)
at Sooloos.RAATServer.ConnectOrStartAndWaitForExit(String path, String args, Action`1 status, ChildProcess& p)

And this started after the upgrade completed “successfully” on the Windows Roon Remote computer. I’ve checked the Windows Defender firewall settings and it is allowing the Raatserver but I suspect something has gone wrong since the connection to the local loopback 127.0.0.1:9004 is being refused.

And thinking some more about this - I think it is related to the move to combine the Remote and Core into one install. And now the RaatServer on the Remote is thinking the Core (or Server) is running on the same machine as the Remote (hence trying to connect to the loopback 127.0.0.1) and not looking for the true Core running on another computer on the network (in my case a NUC running Windows 11 and the Roon Core). The Remote does see the Core but for some reason RaatServer on the Remote does not.

Nice one - promising detective work there Jeff.

And my last update - uninstalling and then re-installing Early Access 1310 on the Remote has resolved the issue and I can happily listen to music on my Win 11 Remote :grin:

Yup reinstall fixes this.

And here too. I imagine that there will have to be a tweak or two before it’s released though. Not everyone’s going to want to uninstall then reinstall!
Well sussed Jeff!

Michael

I also ran into this.

All you need to do is ensure the raatserver is allowed through the firewall. By reinstalling for whatever reason it triggers the Windows Firewall prompt, but an update doesn’t.

%LocalAppData%\Roon\Application\200001310\raatserver.exe

Edit Actually this didn’t seem to work for me on my other PC. Maybe I missed something. So yeah, just doing a re-install is easiest.

Just to let the Roon team I have the same issue. I’ll reinstall Roon.

Yup, uninstall/reinstall of the application fixes this. I left the “settings and database” checkbox unchecked in the uninstall. Don’t know whether that’s relevant for my NUC/ROCK server, but all the PC settings were preserved in any case.

Nice work, @Jeff_Rueger !

1 Like

Another data point, same issue of losing Win10 devices on remote after updating with “update all”, nuc/rock as server.
Tried deleting and readding the firewall exceptions to no avail.
Re-install the remote fixes the issue. Did as Geoff_Coupe did when re-installing.

I tried that first and it didn’t work. Raatserver seemed to crash. Reinstall is the easiest solution for now.

I had similar story.

Update All finished with no Remote executable.
After 1st re-installation Remote started without local devices.

After de-installation & 2nd re-installation Remote works normally.

Same here on my PC, lost all my USB DACs until I did an uninstall/reinstall of the app.

That said, my Server (on an older W11 laptop) basically running headless now with the separation of the server and GUI apps is now quiet as a church mouse and just as easy to manage. I am impressed how smoothly the architecture changes in 1310 are practically seamless.

Resolved the problem after reinstallation, but the output on the selected pc is unstable and will occasionally disconnect or even stop playing. When disconnected, the selected output will briefly disappear and then reappear immediately.