Lost connection - Taking longer than expected to connect

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Innuos Zenith mk3 - Roon v1.6 build 416

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

iPad Pro - WiFi to Apple Airport router - wired connection via switch to Zenith
IPad Roon software version 1.6 build 438.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Lumin X1 streamer connected by Ethernet cable directly to Zenith

Description Of Issue

I’ve been using Roon without issues for about 6 months with this hardware setup. Fairly recently, I’ve found that Roon is slow to reconnect to the music server when I go back to the app on the iPad. This happens whether or not you are currently listening to music. It seems that if you move away from the app to do something else on the iPad, or simply just leave the iPad alone (without closing it Roon down), this annoying connection delay happens if you don’t go back to Roon again within a few minutes. If you switch back after a short time - it connects straight away, as it always seemed to in the past. Maybe this apparent change is as a result of an iOS update? I’m running 13.2.2. Roon does always reconnect eventually - but it is annoying! Any ideas?

1 Like

Hi @Stephen_Neads,

What is the switch that is in use that you mentioned above?

Does this happen with any other remotes besides the iPad?

The switch is a Netgear GS105.

I normally use the iPad - so I don’t know much about the connection speed of other devices, but I tried it just now on an iPhone and it connected quickly. I will try it again periodically to see if this is consistent.

I have had similar problems recently with my iPad Pro 12.9” often dropping connections 8-10 times in a 30 minute period.

I will try other iPad/iPhones and update this post.

My 12.9” pro 3rd generation (purchased August 19) manufactured June 19

Mine is also a 12.9” pro - 2018 model.

Just rebooted, core, router then mesh network! Had 30 minutes with no problems :thinking:

The joy of an uninterrupted connection didn’t last long :confounded:

If your AirPort supports 5GHz, modify the SSID such that 2.4GHz and 5GHz have different SSID. Then power cycle both the AirPort and iPad Pro. Then in iPad Pro choose the 5GHz WiFi - if it works worse, then switch to the 2.4GHz.

1 Like

Anything is worth a try, but I already tried this & with no improvement :roll_eyes:

Hi @Stephen_Neads,

If you force-quit the Roon iPad app and re-open it, does the same delay still occur?

Yes, I believe so - but I am away from home at present so will not be able to try it again until I return.

1 Like

I have done this many times and the delay continues, reconnection is unpredictable.

Having been away for a couple of weeks I’ve not been using my system for a while. Whilst away both my iPad an Roon have been updated. I’m now on iOS 13.2.3 and Roon v1.7 build 505. The slow connection issues I’d had previously seem to have gone now! Hopefully that will be the last of the problem. My suspicion was that it was an iOS problem - but I guess I’ll never know for sure.

Hi @Stephen_Neads,

Thank you for the update, if the issue re-surfaces please do let us know and we can take another look.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.