Lost connection to Roon Core on Android

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.3, Roon Core 1.7 (build 511) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

WiFi 5GHz, Fritzbox!

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

NuPrime DAC, Sonore MicroRendu USB connected to DAC

Description Of Issue

My Android Phone (Google Pixel 3a, Android Version 10) always shows “Lost Connection!” and it is not possible to reconnect to the Roon Core. I have to shut down Roon Core and restart it, then it is able to connect again. I do have this issue just since a couple of days. It was working before…

Roon uses IP multicast for the different components (core, endpoints, control devices) to discover and keep track of each other. For some very hard to reproduce reason, this multicast discovery and connection maintenance can go wrong for some Android devices and some routers. A remedy that often works – it did for me when I had this problem several years ago – is to switch IGMP snooping and/or IGMP proxying settings on the router.

Hi @Alex_Reusch,

When your Android device is unable to connect to the Core are other remote devices able to connect okay?

@dylan I don’t have any other remote devices.

Hi @Alex_Reusch,

I would take a look for any IGMP Snooping/Proxying settings on your router, these have helped with Android devices maintaining a stable connection since routers don’t always implement multicast properly.

Since you are using Fritzbox, you may also want to check for “Software Packet Acceleration” as mentioned on our Networking Best Practices Guide:

FRITZ OS 7

The FRITZ OS 7 update includes a feature called “Software Packet Acceleration” that can cause issues with remote connectivity. We recommend disabling this setting from the FRITZ GUI.

@noris thanks for the help. I was actually not using a Fritzbox!, but I have now switched to one and everything is working fine again. It was the Router (basic Internetbox from Sunrise).

1 Like

Hi @Alex_Reusch,

Glad to hear the issue is resolved!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.