Lost database and audio devices after update to 1.7

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Server 1.7 on Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

SoTM 200 via ethernet and iFi iDSD BL via USB directly from server

Description Of Issue

Since the update to 1.7 of Roon Server, I seem to have lost my database. It says “You need to add music to start experiencing Roon” and asks for adding a folder. At the same time the Storage tab in Settings shows my original two locations “Watching for new files in real time”. I have a 6TB database with many, many abums that were painstakingly edited within Roon, so I am VERY reluctant to have Roon just make a complete new scan.
Also it says “No audio devices found”, while nothing changed in my setup.
Please help!

A post was split to a new topic: Issue loading database after upgrade to 1.7

Hi @Marcel_van_Tilburg,

Sorry to hear about this issue. Can I please request that you send me a copy of your Roon logs via Dropbox/Google Drive by using these instructions?

Can you confirm if you have a recent backup of your Roon database?

Hi noris,

Thanks for the prompt reaction. Yes, I have a very recent backup. I have uploaded the Log directory to Google drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IJhrPVjMJehu6p8a8IROmEdqE5UAJTgF/view?usp=sharing

Hope to hear from you soon!

Marcel

Hi @Marcel_van_Tilburg,

Can you please use these instructions to set your old database aside and restore from the recent backup?

• Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon database folder

Hi @Marcel_van_Tilburg,

I spoke to the QA team further regarding the logs. We would kindly request that you send us your database (essentially the folder you renamed to “Roon_old”). Can I please request that you zip this folder up and send it to me via google drive? Thanks!

Hi noris,

Done as instructed, but to no avail. I am back at exactly where I was when I sent the first message. Will send you the database in a minute…

1 Like

… and here’s the old database: https://we.tl/t-efvxPjP9Ot
Hope you can find whatever causes this problem. Now off to bed!

Kindest greetings,

Marcel

1 Like

Hi Noris,

Installed the new update and everything seems to work again. It is now happily rescanning, while I browse through my collection. Many thanks for the excellent support!

Kindest greetings from rainy Holland!

Marcel

Hi @Marcel_Van_Tilburg,

Glad to hear that the new Roon release resolved the issue for you, looks like you noticed it helped before QA was able to let me know that the changes made it into the new build :slight_smile: .

QA has suggested that we restore your database from a backup to ensure that the migration goes through as expected. Can I please ask that you:

1. Create a new Backup of your current database (just in case)
  2. Restore from a backup before 1.7 was released (not the one you just created)
  3. Run through the migration process once more
  4. Let me know if the database after migration still performs as expected

Hi Noris,

I guess Roon took the backup I restored following your initial advice, because everything went as one would expect after an update. Spent last evening listeing music via Roon and all works perfectly. It seems faster than before! Unless you strongly advice restoring another backup I prefer to keep things as they are now?

Kindest greetings,

Marcel

Hi @Marcel_van_Tilburg,

I have inquired regarding your question with QA but I have not yet received any feedback. If the library is working as expected now, you can keep using it but I would maybe create a new folder for your Roon backups moving forward in case they strongly suggest to perform the restore. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.