Lost my ability to play from my office iMac

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
Sound comes out of iMac speakers even when it’s set to output to DAC.

Hi Larry,

To aid Roon’s support team can you complete the missing sections from your support request.

Also please post a screenshot of the Roon signal path when this is occurring plus one from Roon device setup page.

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Mac Mini Latest build. i7 3.2Ghz 16GB RAM. 1TB SSD

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
This has ZERO effects on my current challenge.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Schiit combo of a Bifrost DAC, Jotunheim Headphone amp and powered Audioengine 5+ speakers.

Description Of Issue
My Main system is working great!
It’s my Office system that seems to be out of whack.
Sound comes out of the iMac speakers even when it’s set to output to DAC.
I use a iMac for installing my Convolutions files that work on my main system with my Mac Mini.

Can you share a screenshot of Device Setup for the Zone you’re playing to as well as a screenshot of the Signal Path when playing to it?

Am I gonna hear anything back today?

You might, but I would expect the next response will point out that the screen shot above doesn’t actually include the device set-up for your office (Settings=>Audio=>Schiit Bifrost=>Device Settings - note there may be two screen here once you click on “Show Advanced” at the bottom) nor the signal path (which is accessed by clicking on the little glowing light next to a song that is playing). They probably need both of these to be able to ascertain what the issue is.

1 Like

Hi @LarryMagoo,

The image you uploaded was not from the audio device setup for your zone.

It also contained your email address, which is not wise to post on a public forum … so I have deleted that post. (Roon support can still view it if needed.)

To recap the 2 screen images requested are:

1. Audio Device Setup for the Zone you’re playing to.

2. Signal Path when playing to that zone.

2 Likes

Carl,

For being a fairly long Roon user I sure do suck at finding what you are looking for. Can you please be so kind as to tell where to find the info that you request?

Sorry for being such an idiot!!!

I am a mess when this crap happens…I am so sorry

No worries, however, the first of those new screen shots was the same as your first one and again contained an email address so I have removed that one as well.

The screen missing is one of the Roon signal path when playing a track to this zone …

See

Am I getting warm? Thanks for deleting those screen shots!

1 Like

Looking good Larry.

BTW on the Mac there should be a way of capturing just the part of the screen you wish to post rather than the whole screen. (On Windows it is Snip & Sketch, sorry I don’t know what it is called on a Mac.)

Any idea what is wrong?

I’m not a Mac user, but I would recommend enabling exclusive mode (in the device setup page), so the OS Mixer does not get in the way.

1 Like

Carl,

That suggestion did not work…is it possible to get to someone familiar with MAC to get me hooked up again?

Thanks,
Larry

Do you have the internal speakers on your Mac enabled under your Audio Devices (settings=>audio)? Try disabling anything called System Output or Built-in Output.

You may also want to check the volume contol on the Bifrost to make sure it is turned up and that all of the connections between the various pieces are secure.

Lastly, after turning on Exclusive Mode as suggested by Carl, does your signal path still show that same green light as in the screen shot you posted above? I think it should be blue.

I cannot seem to disable the OS Mixer…damn it used to work great and I have no idea what changed…I do get the green lite when it plays on my MAC built in speakers…but cannot seem to figure out how to get it to go through my DAC again…Frustrating driving me mad!

I would have thought that Carl’s suggestion to turn on Exclusive Mode in your audio settings would have resolved that issue.

Unfortunately, I am at a loss as to what might help, but while you’re waiting for Support to get to you, maybe try to reboot your Mac Mini (if you haven’t already) and if that doesn’t help you could go to Settings=>Audio=>Schiit Bifrost=>Settings (i.e. the two gears)=>Device Setup and then press Load Defaults. Maybe that might get your setting back to normal.