Lost patience and faith in USB moved on

Thanks very much.

Which failed, the PI or the Allo hat? I have a HiFiBerry Digi+ that has survived electrical transients that felled the boot media in my FreeNAS home-brew server. Said server is now on Furman power conditioning.

Allo Hat failed.

Is it under warranty? Allo may want it back for failure analysis.

I’m currently using my HiFiBerry Digi+ in SPDIF mode with no trouble.

The Telly comes in on TOSlink. TOSlink is super for Telly as there is no conducting path between the cable tv and the HiFi. I’ve always had ground loop issues in the US with connecting TV analog audio to the HiFi. I use TOSlink from TV out to a TOSlink switch & on to preamp’s internal DAC.

Your USB DAC should be able to jitter buffer and retime the asynchronous USB. The Burr Brown chipset includes this capability. Not looked for the ESS Saber32. Either chipset when used correctly will give excellent audio.

Yes I got a replacement board but I’m selling it as I want something rock solid the Allo isn’t for me, it’s been a pain to keep working. Nothing will change my mind. I have pis and hifiberry also but the Allo sounded better . I know have a Bluesound Node 2 Me very happy with the sound and ease of use.

I couldn’t agree more, Simon. Simplicity and stability are just as important, in my opinion, as anything else. The BlueSound is a fantastic solution, especially at its price point. NAD invested millions into the BlueSound project and is continuing R&D on a regular basis. Unless you have thousands to invest, BlueSound is really hard to beat.

One thing I love about my BlueSound, other than its performance, is that I can control it with Lutron Audio Pico remotes. I have a few of them around the house giving me quick access to volume, play/pause and skip forward without needing to open an app or make my way to the living room to reach for my remote or volume knob. A perfect scenario would be making dinner while the music is loud. If I need to lower the volume quickly, its a button tap rather than my chicken goo covered fingers needing to be wiped off, only to have my iPhone not recognize my wet fingerprint forcing me to use the passcode only to open to the last app used forcing me to reload the Roon app which requires a short refresh, etc. Currently, only Sonos and BlueSound support this concept unless you have a full home automation system installed such as Control4, Savant or Crestron.

I use harmony hub for my remotes and Roon extension to hello it control room and other devices in the audio chain. Works really well

Switched from a Allo USBridge (trouble) to a HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro with ropieee. No hassle, no trouble, this runs flawlessly.

1 Like

I’ve had 3 HifiBerry pi’s all run flawlessly. Still use the two amp boards, execellent build quality. The same cannot not be said about the Allo. But I have been very impressed with their customer service. I received the replacement board on Thursday have to fit and sell it on now.

Try a microrendu or ultrarendu. I have one and have had zero issues with it connected to from Ethernet to USB Schiit DAC.

Too pricey for my tastes. Happy with my Node 2 now and it offers more for less. USB is long forgotten in my system. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you group a node 2 with Raat endpoints?

Yes, you can.

The BlueSound devices still suffer from syncing issues over RAAT though – until they’re fixed, grouping probably isn’t much fun.

1 Like

Thanks. Just looking for an all in one wireless endpoint that does Raat and has RCA analogue outputs to drive my kitchen powered speakers. (Not a Pi :grin:)

A Node is great for that – except when grouped. You could also consider an Auralic Aries Mini (same price range). Or go to town with a Chord Poly/Mojo combo. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought they fixed the syncing iseus when they updated the RAAT SDK? Not tried it yet as I seldom run sync unless I have a party, which is about once a decade. :slight_smile:

@ged_hickman1 if your looking to get one. The same seller I got mine from has another one for sale at the same price they are basically almost brand new and hes a Bluesound dealer so will extend the warranty on the product to. Will save £200

1 Like

Thanks. Not sure I’m ready to spend yet :confused:. Having got Glastonbury tickets, I am saving as whilst it’s great to go with My Daughter and friends, the bank of dad does feel the strain.

1 Like

Yep those tickets not very cheap. Not been to Glastonbury since 92 which happened to be the last time I went to any festival. I like my cresture comforts too much. I bet facilities have moved on since then though.

1 Like

My first was 2010 for my 50th birthday. Toilets now are much better than even then. A tent is still a tent however :grinning:.
It’s also where I cram in most of my live music for the year. Mix of my tastes and some of the (expletive deleted) my daughter likes.