Lots and lots of questions

Ok im back in dangerous thinking mode, been thinking about this and doing a bit off reading yet again, now i may well have picked this up wrong so bear with me, and again you can shoot me down or tell me to sober up as required.

I really like how roon sounds, from memory (but i will check my settings later tonight) the chord is set using wasapi in roon

I also have jriver v23, the chord is set to kernel streaming there and plays faultlessly.

Is there a way off roon linking to jriver (but by passing the sox resampler) then onward to the chord dac so im maintaining the sound quality roon is producing but its using the kernel streaming option available in jriver which is drop out free.

Or am i totally nuts?

Ok ive checked the audio settings. All i get is wasapi. No exclusive mode i guess i aint looking in the right place so can someone help me out. Duh!

@support

My trial period for roon is due to finish friday, is there anyway i can have the trial period extended to allow me to try and resolves the drop out issues im having during playback.

1 Like

Hi @Robert_Burns ---- Touching base with you as mentioned in my PM response to your previous post. Let’s see if we can get this figured out for you :microscope:

Issue being reported:

“Recognized my chord dac no problems. SQ is good but ive noticed im getting a bit of drop out when tracks are playing.”

Setup details:

• Core = Windows PC i3 4025 1tb hdd internal (X64 windows 10) (4gb ram)
  • Storage = 1 tb lacie external hdd (approx 2,500 albums - Almost all files are flac)
  • Remote = Samsung galaxy tab 4
  • Affected endpoint = Chord Qute EX (usb connected)

Further Data gathering:

• Please provide screenshots of…

• Signal path leaving Roon when you notice the dropouts occurring.

• Your “audio” tab found under “settings”.

• Do you notice any patterns in behavior when this issue occurs? For example, do you experience dropouts with all sample rates OR just some?

• Does TIDAL content exhibit the same behavior?

Troubleshooting Questions:

• Does rebooting your core machine and/or endpoint yield any changes in behavior?

• Have you tried testing with content stored on the internal drive of the PC as opposed to the mentioned Lacie drive?

• Have you tried temporarily by passing the Chord EX and testing with another DAC mounted to the PC, if you have the means?

• Additionally, have you tried playing directly out of the internal speakers of the PC to confirm if dropouts are present during playback?

-Eric

Eric my sincere apologies for they delay in gettin back to you, it was late (here) so thought best to tackle this tonight so firstly 3 attachments which are hopefully what you require. In answer to your questions

No specific issues with drop out re samples rates

It normally occurs early on, sometimes it calms down and stop after a while (which is weird) sometimes like now after a few hours playing it doesnt.

I dont use tidal

I have one hard drive which i use only for music, i know theres no issue with the drive ordrop out as it plays perfectly using j river. The dac settings there are kernel streaming as recommended by chord.

Rebooting hasno impact, it still occurs

I dont have access to another dac

I dont have a pc screen, i use the tv to kicking roon of then use my tablet to control it so the tv goes off.

Someone suggested checking i had things set up in exclusive mode by for the life of me i cant find, can you assist with that.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Robert

Eric any thoughts or updates on the info i supplied?

Regards

Rob

Hi Rob,

I’ll shift this thread into Support until we get you working properly. Eric will see it again there.

Hi @Robert_Burns ---- Thank you for the follow up and thank you @andybob for flagging me down/moving this over to “support”.

Robert, in order to enable “exclusive mode” in Roon you are going to want to go to the “audio” tab and click the little “gear” icon next to the Chord EX zone. Next you will see a little window appear and then you want to select “device setup”. In the “device setup” window you will see three “tabs”, you will want to open the “playback” tab and that is were you will find the option to enable “exclusive mode”.

-Eric

Eric thanks for gettin back to me (and to andybob for forwarding this on). Ok im in theplayback options screen and im looking at 4 options
max sample rate, set at 384mhz,
max bits per sample which is diasabled,
channel layout which is set at 2.0 and finally multichannel mixing strategy whic is set at downmix as needed.

No sign of exclusive mode

Rob

Thanks for touching base with me @Robert_Burns, appreciated!

To get a better sense as to what exactly you are seeing in your setup, may I very kindly ask you for the following screenshots:

1. Your “audio” tab in Roon so I can see all of your available zones.

2. The “playback” tab you are noting in your post above.

-Eric

Hold that Eric found it and enabled it (what an idiot) right enabled it. Hopefully this should resolve things
:blush: rob

Eric since ihave your attention, my chord dac can handle dsd and up to 384kh should i be enabling these in the audio set up or leave these disabled.

Rob

Eric :grin::grin: Yipeeee it worked, tracks have played as they should and NO DROP OUT i hear on the last 7 tracks ive played !

Cheers

Rob

1 Like

Excellent! Very pleased to hear @Robert_Burns!

Happy listening!
-Eric