LS50 - Lost Control of Device & Core disconnects

I have the same problem with my KEF LS50 loudspeakers. Connected through ethernet.

Hello @RJ_V,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Hello Noris,
Thnx for your reply.
Roon server is installed on my Mac Mini (model 2018 - latest OS). My Mac mini is only in use for Roon.
Connected through ethernet with my LinkSyS Velop network. (latest firmware)
I use my iPad or iPhone as Roon Remote.
I have a 350MB up & downstream fiberglass connection - No TV or video streaming - just audio -
I have a Qobuz account connected with Roon
I have a Synology DS219 Play connected with my own music-files.
The problem occurs with Qobuz, Roon Radio, etc. allways when I let the music play for a longer period - Roon stops playing for no apparent reason.
My network is fast and never gives any problems whatsoever.

Kind regards,
Rob Vroon

Oops forgot to mention my LS 50’s wireless set (latest firmware). they are connected through an ethernet cable with my Linksys Velop Network.

Hi @RJ_V,

Thank you for providing that additional information. Does the issue only occur when playing certain types of files (high-res for example)?

Does the same issue occur if you play a longer playlist of local content as well or only from streaming sources? How long does it take for the issue to typically occur, a few days? More/less?

Hello Noris,
No, it has nothing to do with high res files or playlists since I am not using playlists or using particular high res files. I am just playing my music files and when a certain album ends Roon Radio takes over. When I do not like the music Roon Radio delivers, I put on another album from my own database or Qobuz or a favourite radio station. Whatever my choice is, the music stops playing after a few hours or so. I think mostly between two or three hours of continues music playing. The dis-continuetion can happen any time but it always happens. To my knowledge this started after your update. Not the last one but the previous one.
Kind regards.

Hi @RJ_V,

Thank you for providing those additional details.

Does this behavior also occur when playing to any other endpoints such as “System Output” on your Mac Mini (to the Mac’s speakers)? If you want, you can let it run in the background on low volume, would be good to know if this issue affects multiple audio endpoints or just the KEFs.

Does the behavior occur when you play a long playlist of local content on the LS50s or just when playing content streamed from online sources?

Morning Noris,
As soon as I’ve tried the playback options you asked for, I’ll get in contact again.
Rob

1 Like

Same problem here. Connected via ethernet or wifi, it doesn’t matter. It occurs mostly when skipping manually from one track to another or changing something in Roons’ DSP.

Yes, correct. Forgot about that. Making changes in Roons DSP. That also occurred when I had a different set-up. Instead of a Mac Mini I used an Auralic Aries G1. I got so fed up with the connection failures that I sold it and bought a Mac Mini instead. This works better, connection problems Improved but Roon still stops after some time.
Tonight it happened again when playing music from my Synology NAS. I made a playlist and after 1 hour 45 min. I muted my Kef LS 50s’ and when I unmuted the set after 45 min. Roon stopped playing by itself. ??? No reason why.
So the first part of my test ended.

I just changed something in Kef Control app and it seems to work… I think…

Open Kef Control App, click the three dots in the upper right hand, tick Volume and Disable Hardware Volume Buttons if enabled.
Shutdown the Kef Control app completely when using Roon.
Sorry for the English as it isn’t my native language.

Yes, correct. Forgot about that. Making changes in Roons DSP. That also occurred when I had a different set-up. Instead of a Mac Mini I used an Auralic Aries G1. I got so fed up with the connection failures that I sold it and bought a Mac Mini instead. This works better, connection problems Improved but Roon still stops after some time.
Tonight it happened again when playing music from my Synology NAS. I made a playlist and after 1 hour 45 min. I muted my Kef LS 50s’ and when I unmuted the set after 45 min. Roon stopped playing by itself. ??? No reason why.
So the first part of my test ended
[/quote]

Playing a couple of days now without problems. Strange phenomenon! In my opinion, the Kef Control app conflicts with the Roon app. Also if you have 2 devices, iPhone and iPad, don’t install the Kef Control app on both… the DSP function is not synchronized.

Thanks for your reply. I will give it a try by removing the KEF app from my iPad. I’ll keep you posted.

Last night I made a Qobuz playlist and let Roon radio take over after the ending of the playlist. I muted the set with the Roon app and when I opened Roon again this morning Roon was still playing. Mmm remarkable. Does it have to do with using both the KEF control app and the Roon app as mentioned above? Could there be a conflict between the two apps?

That’s what I think.

Yes but not completely convinced yet.

Hi @RJ_V,

I would advise not to use both apps at the same time. You can certainly have them installed but if you start playback from one app and try to override the stream with the other, the music will stop playing. Perhaps that’s what occurred here?

I have also seen some reports that factory resetting KEF speakers helps with intermittent issues, it’s worth a try if you see the same behavior occur.

All went well for a full day… for now I’m using my SOtM again!

Since last Roon update, 3 days of continuous playing without problems…