LS50w disconnects

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Intel NUC core i3, 16GB ram, 500GB SSD

Music stored on ASUSTOR NAS

Router is ASUS rt-ac88u, latest firmware, IGMP Snooping is enabled, and multicast rate(mbps) is set to Auto.

Roon 1.5 build 363

Firewall is completely off on the NUC

My LS50 wireless speakers will disconnect from Roon at random times, and the message on my remote will be “roon has lost control of the audio device” Sometimes I can simply hit play and it will start playback again, sometimes it will require a reboot of the speaker, and sometimes it will require me to stop and start the roon core again. Most of the time this happens without any interaction from the user, the system simply stops playing music. This may have something to do with the LS50w seek/previous/next bug which I have commented on here in the support forum.

I cannot run a wired connection to the speakers, I have tried a 2.4ghz connection, 5ghz connection, and even used another ASUS router as a wireless bridge and hard-wired the LS50w to it… All connections exhibit the same behavior. In all cases, the wireless connection is “excellent” and I have no problems with my wireless anywhere else. I also have a squeezebox 3 connected via 2.4ghz wireless in the same room maybe 1.5 feet from the LS50w and I can run that at the exact same time and there is never a single dropout, so I know it is not a problem with with my other components. The LS50w will loose connection, but the squeezebox will continue to play as if nothing happened. I also have a Chromecast in another room wired to the network that never has a problem either.

@support Help

Hello @KungFuNat,

Are you by any chance using the KEF Stream app in tandem with Roon? Is the behavior the same if you completely exit out of the KEF Stream app when attempting playback via Roon? Are your LS50s on the newest firmware from KEF? You can check this info by using the KEF Control App. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Noris

I have the kef stream app on my phone and ipad(the two remotes I use), but I never use it… Should I uninstall it?

Yes, I have the latest ls50 firmware

Hello @KungFuNat,

If you want you can try uninstalling the KEF steam app but if you are not using it it shouldn’t cause these kinds of issues (I have seen issues when using the app as both KEF stream and Roon “fight for control” over playback).

The next step here would be to take a look at the diagnostics from your machine. For that, I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

I kindly ask for you to reproduce this issue once more and then note the exact local time in your country (ex. 6:44PM) that you notice Roon loosing control of the device. After noting the time, I can submit those logs for analysis with the QA team and see if there are any strange traces visible.

Thanks,
Noris

I got simillar problem “roon has lost control of the audio device”.
Especially when I quickly pouse and resume playback.

Wired or wireless - the same issue.

@noris Lost control of the device this morning around 9:45am after playing non-stop overnight.

I have uninstalled the kef stream app from all of my devices.

@noris
Lost control of device just now (Sunday December 30)at 12:35pm. I hit the skip track button, and it dropped immediately.

Hello @KungFuNat,

Thanks for submitting those timestamps. I can confirm that we have received your most recent diagnostics report. We have made some improvements in our KEF implementation with the next Roon release, I am hopeful that these improvements will also help you here as well and we can take a closer look at diagnostics again after the next release has shipped if you experience the same issues.

Thanks,
Noris

Awesome @noris. any ETA on that next release?

No, but we are working on it :wink:

@noris
Hey Noris, I have the new version of roon running and it does seem to be more stable, but I have been able to get roon to exhibit the same behavior again by seeking within the currently playing song and flipping the parametric EQ on and off… This happened tonight 1/26 at 7:45pm and 11pm EST, as well as a few more times around those times, but I forgot to note the exact time. maybe 5 or 6 times total tonight.

The good news is that if I wait maybe 10 seconds and play a different track, the system gains control again.

Hello @KungFuNat,

Glad to hear the new version of Roon is more stable for you! The ticket for skipping forward on KEF speakers didn’t quite make the 1.6 release but we’re hoping to include it in our next round of Roon App updates, so be on the lookout for that feature when that ships!

Thanks,
Noris

@noris

The 1.6 release notes specifically say " * KEF LS50s: Roon no longer becomes unresponsive when seeking during playback".

Is that a different issue?

Hello @KungFuNat,

We found a few ways reproduce this issue – one was fixed in our last release and another is fixed for our next release.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @KungFuNat/@Adam_Dabrowski,

We have just released Roon v1.6 build 401 which addresses the KEF seeking issue further:

Roon 1.6 (Build 401) Is Live! Software Release Notes

Hi everyone! A new maintenance release is now rolling out for all platforms, with bug fixes, performance improvements, and updated designs for some of the UI changes in Roon 1.6. Today’s release includes a number of refinements for the footer and the Now Playing screen. We’ve heard a lot of great feedback on the changes in Roon 1.6, and we think the changes made over the last few weeks are big improvement. We hope you agree and we’re looking forward to hearing from everyone! We’ve added the m…

Please give the update a try and let me know how it goes!

Thanks,
Noris

5 posts were split to a new topic: LS50W Lost Control

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.