LS50W Lost Control

Hi @noris,

I’ve just found this thread as I have been experiencing drop outs and the same error message. Roon remote reporting: Roon has lost control of the audio device.

I am using a Mac mini as my core and streaming to the LS50ws wirelessly (the Mac mini is connected to my Google wifi via ethernet however). I use Roon for all playback and volume control. The KEFs are running the latest firmware and I am running the latest version of Roon Core. The remote apps on iPad/ iPhone are also the latest versions.

Do you have any advice/ solutions following the investigations above?

Many thanks.

Since the last update with the latest LS50 update, this essentially never happens to me anymore…

I also have super-strong wifi to my LS50s

Did you try turning off the settings on your router that I mentioned in the first post? Those made a difference

Hi, thanks for your replies.

I’m pleased to hear you’re not suffering with it anymore.

I haven’t made any changes to my router. I’d prefer not to. Hopefully Roon is able to shed some light.

I am able to run ethernet to the speakers which I haven’t tried yet. I’ve seen that some people have the issue wirelessly or wired and I have strong wifi too so haven’t been in a rush to try it.

I mentioned @noris above as he’d been included in the thread previously. Perhaps I should have mentioned @support too?

Hi @inbox4,

I have split your posts into it’s own thread so that we can better focus on this issue.

I would first start off with trying to connect both the Core and the LS50s via Ethernet to the router. Can you give this a try and let me know if that changes anything?

Even if only temporarily this would help us eliminate some variables of what could be going wrong here. I would also make sure that you are not using the KEF streaming app at the same time as streaming from Roon, as this may also cause similar symptoms.

– Noris

Thank you @noris

I played the system for 10 hours yesterday and it didn’t happen once. So it may take a while for me to get back to you. (It happened twice the day before though)

I will try an ethernet cable as you suggest.

Is there any particular type you would recommend? KEF supplied a cat6 to run between the speakers so is it best to buy the same category? Does it make any difference?

Thanks and regards, Daniel.

1 Like

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for letting me know that the issue has subsided in the past days. If it does occur again, yes please do try the Ethernet cable.

As long as the Ethernet cable meets at minimum CAT5E standards, you should be ok. Generally speaking, CAT6 cables have better performance so if they are around the same price point, I would try a CAT6 cable.

– Noris

Hi Noris,

Thanks for your advice.

Since your message I’ve not had one single occasion where Roon has lost the device over wifi.

I have however tried an Ethernet cable temporarily as you suggested and surprisingly I thought it sounded better than the wifi connection. I will definitely be ordering one for permanent connection to the KEFs (via Powerline).

I have one query about the track time line I’d appreciate an answer to if you’re able? Sometimes the play line (at the bottom of the screen) shows the track dynamics as it should. On other occasions, it is a flat, straight line with no details at all. Why does it vary?

Regards, Daniel.

Apologies, I didn’t write your name as @noris
Please see previous message.

Hi @inbox4,

Glad to hear that the KEF connection has stabilized!

Just something to keep in mind, we generally don’t recommend the use of Powerline adapters (as mentioned in our Networking Best Practices) as these kinds of devices can sometimes cause issues with proper Roon communication. Our suggestion here would be to use a direct Ethernet run whenever possible or use a mesh-style network instead if you end up having further issues via powerline.

This depends on if there was Audio Analysis performed on the track or not. If a local library track was played with no waveform, it is possible that you don’t have on-demand audio analysis turned on. As far as I’ve seen, audio analysis for streaming files is not possible, so the waveform would only show up when playing local files that have already been analyzed.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.