LS50W Roon 1.5 and MQA?

Pretty awesome Roon update :slight_smile:
With the direct Roon to Kef integration will we be streaming the first MQA unfold from Roon to the Kefs or will the Kefs internal dac interfere with or not pass MQA?

1 Like

Hello @DarwinOS,

When using the KEF streaming integration in Roon, MQA content will be decoded with Roon’s Core Decoder, meaning that your KEF will be receiving either a 88.2 kHz or 96 kHz high resolution stream.

-John

Perfect, thanks much!

1 Like

This means: The best setting for the LS50 MQA-Capabilitys is “NO MQA-Support” and the MQA-Core-Decoder-Switch is ON?

Even if I can switch the MQA-Capabilitys of the LS50 to “Decoder”, “Renderer” or both…?

Hello @Klaus_Kleber,

Yes, that’s correct.

-John

Where is this setting?

@DarwinOS Device setup, with the LS50W zone selected, go to the speaker icon bottom right, then select the gear icon, then device setup.

Thanks very much.

Having MQA Core decoding is likely to sound better than no MQA decoding.

I do this. Sound very good and no way I could use the kef stream app over Roon with its feature set including a range of DSP options as well as MQA

Others seem to find MQA offensive I reckon in the main it sounds great :+1:

So, just to be clear. When I’m in my device set up menu for the LS50w I should only choose “decoder only” in the MQA capabilities drop down menu? This setting will enable MQA decoding via Roon to be sent to my LS50? Just trying to figure all his stuff out, thanks guys!

I think you’d select No MQA support on the device capabilities & then enable MQA core decoder on the advanced settings.

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong though? & Guessing that’s the same with everything going in to a DAC with no MQA support.

Incorrect.

Correct.

1 Like

Sorry to jump on this discussion so late, but I have the LS50wii speakers. Once they are Roon Ready (fingers crossed), will these speakers decode/render MQA internally? I know that reviews I’ve read suggest that all decoding can be done within the new LS50wii speakers. In that case, wouldn’t I turn off MQA Core Decoder and leave it all to the speakers?

I am operating under the assumption that full decoding/rendering (not just the decoding done by Roon) would lead to the best SQ.

Put another way, suppose I didn’t have Roon and instead used the native KEF Connect app. Would the speakers do all the decoding/rendering? And does the use of Roon change whether I’d want to rely on the speakers doing the decoding/rendering?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.

That prevents you from using Roon DSP while keeping MQA signaling.

It needs to be turned off if and only if the device MQA implementation is faulty and unable to render MQA Core decoded steams (MQB) from Roon Core. I do not expect this to occur for reasonably new devices.

Yes.

Roon DSP.

1 Like

Thanks for the helpful answers. As a new Roon user (and new to playing with DSP), are you or anyone aware of anywhere I can read a good primer on how to approach it?