Lucas electrics

Yeah but you’re in the UK.
Jaguar owners say, the Brits are the bravest people in the world, they went to war with Lucas electrics.

2 Likes

I been fiddling with Lucas Electrics today on a 1958 MGA…
That was an exhilarating ride and as hot as an oven round your feet. No safety features and drum brakes… :joy: Talk about old school…

2 Likes

My brother had one in 1959, British racing green. Sweet little car, but the steering wheel was on the other side. I was 12 and would drive it around in our front yard like a go-cart.

1 Like

My '58 1500 Roadster was Old English White with steel wheels when built. The previous owner painted it Chariot Red when he restored it, along with swapping to '59 disk brakes up front and painted wire wheels.

It currently has a '63 MGB 1800 engine swapped in place of the original 1500.

3 Likes

If only my friends one was that nice. I keep encouraging him to let me upgrade the brakes but he likes it original with all the accompanying dangers :joy:

When I grew up, the Mercedes 300SL Gullwing was the dream car.
Did 160 mph/260 kph with drum brakes.
Those drivers had cojones.

1 Like

The previous owner lived in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, which is known for its short but very steep hills. He needed the disks!

I would love to find a set of front hubs and rear axles from the TwinCam or Mk II, with four wheel disks and knock-off steel wheels. Those would pair nicely with the 20% increase in displacement.

I still have sealed beam headlamp and a driving light to boot, so plenty of opportunities for Mr Lucas’ ghost to come knocking.

2 Likes

Beautiful MGA.

2 Likes

And of those, the ultimate in cool and cojones is Black Torpedo and her original driver. Look 'em up :wink:

1 Like