Lumin D2, bass light?

Indeed; I had considered seeing what a T2 would be all about. But in reality to my ears and in my system at least, my existing Matrix Element I DAC is a much more compelling listen.

A few thoughts:

It’s very easy to be pulled in by the Lumin. It presents a lovely warm cuddly blanket of sound. It’s rich, cosy and like a mug of cocoa it certainly soothes with the right music. Acoustic, late night jazz etc.

However. Therein lies a problem. In its pursuit of this sweetened vision of things it’s given up a little on the way. The soundstage is both narrow and flat. It creates a ball of sound stuck between the two speakers. Musicians in live recordings sound bunched together, like they’re all in the same flat plane from front to back. The sense of depth and the feeling of the rear wall disappearing beyond the speakers to reveal the venue is totally lost. This is very “flat earth”.

Second, leading edge transients are softened so that quicker rock and electronic music lacks the necessary bite and snarl to get the foot taping convincingly.

Lastly, as above, it’s bass is tremendously soft and shy. It’s ok with the bloom of a plucked double bass, but anything needing big depth or punch is rendered a little hollow and flat.

It sounds like I hate it. I don’t. There’s much to be commended here. It’s silky smooth, has a glorious top end and a lovely well integrated midband. The product is built well, has a great little screen and a snappy interface. It works with roon flawlessly.

But, my little matrix which is some £700 cheaper, is more dynamic, more spacious, more weighty, and yet doesn’t really add any unwanted hardness on anything but the worst tracks. It’s also just as good with roon, albeit is nowhere near as nicely built as the Lumin.

Sadly the D2 isn’t for me. But if you have an aggressive system that wants some taming, or your music tastes extend to mostly small works, vocal, chamber, or acoustic in small scale, it may suit you very well.

For this diverse listener it’s a bit “safe”

Small print: all in the context of my system, room and listening habits. Opinions are my own and may not match with your listening experience.