Lumin D2... Could it be a perceivable upgrade in sound quality?

You’ll love it. Lumin streamers are absolutely impeccable.
I used to own a D1 before my A1, and when I had my D1 it was the best digital source I had ever heard. They work faultlessly, sound sublime, and the support from Lumin is absolutely second-to-none.
Enjoy :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks Martin, I am looking forward to get it going !

2 Likes

I’ve had my D2 for about 8 months now and I’ve been super-pleased with its SQ and performance. :+1:

3 Likes

This is probably not a good plan but I’m just wondering @wklie if it would be a mistake to have a long (5m) balanced cable run from the D2, assuming it was well constructed? It might give me a bit more flexibility in terms of space/cabling requirements.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Balanced cable can be used for very long runs. 5m is no concern at all.

Many thanks!

Sbooster is now advertising they have D2 linear power supply and a D2 connection kit, which upgrades the switching power supply in the D2. In my other music servers, upgrading the power supply provided a noticeable improvement, and the earlier D1 was said to be greatly improved by an Sbooster.

Anyone upgrade their D2 power supply? At $450, it’s not a hyper expensive option.

2 Likes

I’d also be interested to hear feedback on this, but my gut feeling is that Lumin are pretty happy with their SMPS, given that it has just also rolled out to the T2 (I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that it’s the same spec and configured similarly). Maybe I’m not sufficiently cynical, but I don’t think they would be content if it didn’t deliver very good performance.

2 Likes

The SMPS inside D2, T2 and U1 MINI is indeed the same.

2 Likes

Lumin may be happy, and I am absolutely loving my stock D2. However, if an LOS can improve sound quality (as it did with the D1 which admittedly had a wall-wart), I am game to try it within reason.

I did place an order for one, which is about $450 shipped within the states. It includes a D2 connection kit, which looks like you just disconnect the stock PS from the motherboard, plug in the connector kit, and connect the cable from the Sbooster. So listening tests should be easy as there is no surgery needing to be done.

If the PS is the same from the D2 to the T2, then all the better as it might ease my path to a T2 if inclined. I will report back once I’ve received and played with the LPS.

So this could be a new topic, or elsewhere, since we already discussed things here, I will just continue here.

Everything up and running with ROON and my Lumin D2, but I have a few questions. First being the upsampling or not. There is a bunch of Lumin possible options for upsampling to higher PCM or to DSD. Roon also offers at least one version to upsample all to DSD, Confused a little here which to use, and what happens if you have both on ? What is better to use and why if you can ? Or I believe thru Lumin you can just upsample PCM to higher PCM ?

But again just wondering the best way, for this group of settings to start and then also what happens if the setting are on both products simultaneously by mistake ?

Thanks,

Wayne

No doubt @wklie will step in to answer here but I think the general recommendation is to let Roon do the work, both because the algorithms are likely to be more sophisticated (as greater processing power is available) and because it separates out any noise associated with the processing overhead from the sensitive DAC.

I asked Peter a similar question in relation to my A1. Both the A1 and the D2 share the same Wolfson DAC’s in common.
This is what Peter has to say on the matter:

Roon philosophy is to move processing to Roon Core, so typically you can disable Lumin internal re-sampling. You can try having Roon send bit perfect audio to Lumin or use Roon DSP to upsample to DSD64 and see which you like more.

Lumin internal re-sampling: It depends on the sample rate of the input signal, which is not necessarily the same as the sample rate of the music file when you use Roon DSP.

• If you use Roon to upsample 44.1kHz to DSD, then setting Lumin upsampling of 44.1kHz to anything has no effect because the input signal is DSD, not 44.1kHz.
  • On the other hand, if you use Roon to upsample 44.1kHz to 88.2kHz, and have Lumin internal upsample from 88.2kHz to DSD, then you’re doing two upsampling steps: first in Roon Core, the second inside Lumin. This is possible but usually not desirable.
1 Like

I realized I duplicated the upsampling, and it seems there is some funkiness to the sound, I will get back into it and make sure I just use ROON. Speaking of ROON, what about Sigma Delta Modulator ?

If your Roon Core processing speed with DSD upsampling as reported in the signal path is not above 2.0, enable Parallelize Sigma Delta Modulator.

1 Like

I have Roon doing the processing and using the Nucleus, I am not seeing processing speeds drop below 2.6 unless I am also using the Audeze filters. Only when processing high bit rate files does it slow down a bit. My ears tell me that letting Roon own the processing makes the sound the best.

Will you eventually offer ext4 support?
thank you

If you’re referring to USB storage connected to Lumin player, probably not.

If you run Roon on a Linux system ext4 will likely work.

I purchased a D2 at Axpona on Sunday. Rereading this thread, it looks like I have some burn-in to do, but I did switch most everything “off” in the Lumin, save Roon Support. I am extremely pleased with the results so far!
If you have done A/B test with DSD upsampling? Which to you prefer? What are your DSD settings?

1 Like