Lumin D2... Could it be a perceivable upgrade in sound quality?

Hi, happy ending.
I have received another D2 unit in silver from my dealer and it is marvelous.
No coil whine whatsoever.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Glad that’s fixed for you @sojer2005 :grinning:

@wklie completely unrelated but out of interest why does the D2 show as max 24 bits in Roon, when the specs (and the Wolfson specs) support 32 bits? I presume others with a D2 see the same?

1 Like

Yes, I am very satisfied.
Lumin D2 is by far the best streaming DAC I’ve ever used.

4 Likes

Lumin’s are absolutely great :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

My copy of WM8741 data sheet actually has the word “24-bit” in its document title. The chip product web site also states 24-bit resolution. According to the data sheet, 32-bit input data is eventually truncated to internal word length so it’s not much useful to present a 32-bit input.

When you’re relying on Roon for DSP processing and the DAC is really 24-bit internally, I think it’s likely to be better to let Roon Core give you a 24-bit result than to have Roon give you a 32-bit result with the DAC truncating it to 24-bit afterwards.

1 Like

That makes sense - thanks for clarifying. I was confused as the data sheet also states “The device supports PCM data input word lengths from 16 to 32-bits”, which of course isn’t much use if it’s then truncated.

Hi,
I have a question about the Analog Audio Output Level setting on D2. My Lumin is connected to the Yamaha AS2100 via XLR. Yesterday I tested the maximum volume a little bit and noticed that at Lumin’s maximum volume sometimes there is distortion from the speakers, although I never listen to music so loudly. After switching the Analog Output Level to LOW, there was no more distortion. My question is about the LOW setting: does this setting somehow negatively affect the quality of the sound, reduces the resolution, the stage? I am using XLR connection.

Yamaha has built-in „ATTENUATOR selector” near the XLR connections (-6dB or bypass). Which is better: enabling the built-in ATTENUATOR selector to -6dB in the Yamaha or setting „LOW” in the Analog Audio Output Level.

From the Yamaha AS2100 manual, BAL = balanced input

Hi,

never tried to change output levels, to my experience XLR outputs of D2 are higher than RCA without changing anything in settings. Just plug XLR and you’ll need less gain from your volume knob.
I think that if you choose bypass your XLR will act as plain RCA… So you’re loosing the XRL advantage.

Remember to check phase because hot/cold pins could not match AS2100 ones.

PS.May I ask you some questions about the reproduction of your amp?

Hi, the hot pins match between D2 and Yamaha AS2100.
I really like this amplifier, it is neutral in presentation, it offers a good midrange and good bass control.

XLR outputs are typically +6db up on the same units RCA outs IIRC - this is common on most equipment.

• Though the signal level would not be changed due to nominal level standardization, the maximum output from the differential drivers is twice as much, giving 6 dB extra headroom.[3]
1 Like

Please set D2 to normal, and use the Yamaha attenuator. The reason is that D2 XLR output is 4V rms.

I did just that. I wonder if the attenuation at -6dB in the amplifier affects the quality of the XLR connection and sound. Is there still sense in the XLR connection then?

Please do not worry about that. XLR is preferred.

2 Likes

I have a D2 arriving today to replace my existing streamer and DAC. The D2 will be connected via XLR’s to a DSPeaker AntiMode 2.0 room correction processor which in turn is connected to a Simaudio i7 amp, also using XLR’s. I use a QNAP NAS for my Roon core and music files and also use Tidal. I’m curious if @wklie has any suggestions based on my gear. I’ve also been considering an SBooster PS to try to squeeze out as much performance out of my system as I can. Thoughts?

I have a similar setup (but no DSP)
QNAP with RoonCore > D2 > Amp

I’m waiting for a Nucleus to replace the qNAP which started struggling a bit…
I think it is the weakest point of the chain.

For a Roon Core upgrade, I suggest you consider NUC8i5BEH (or i7) with a fanless chassis and m.2 SSD.

Note that original parts inside must be intact in case the unit needs to be shipped back for repair. Especially if you are in the US, changing the internal power supply voids warranty.

1 Like

Hi Peter @wklie

I have a Lumin D2. I am wondering why you designed them where one would void the warranty by wanting to upgrade the power supply? Was this a purely commercial issue to try and force customers into the upgrade path within Lumin products rather than being able to obtain alternatives elsewhere? The price difference between the D2 and A1 is considerable, and its not something I for one would ever be able to afford, the D2 was a stretch as it was!

1 Like

Like almost all of the consumer electronics manufacturers, our warranty policy is that internals must not have been modified. We have always had this policy even before we started to design and manufacture Lumin products. (Before that we made Crystalio video processors that benefit projector users.)

When the warranty expires or is voided, we will still repair our products if they are repairable, for a repair plus shipping charge. (This is not like some manufacturers may refuse to repair a modified product. For a Lumin product that merely means you no longer enjoy free repair in most cases. In case the boards have something soldered to them (not talking about the power supply change) the whole board will need to be replaced and charged accordingly.)

2 Likes

You bought a product for a price. Within that price ‘envelope’, there will be choices that a manufacturer has to make to ensure the product reaches the market at a price.
The D2 is Lumin’s entry-level network player. It is designed as a self-contained unit, without any user-interchangeable parts, to work ‘from the box’. It is not modular, and does not come in ‘pieces’ where one can pick and choose its configuration. The power supply within a D2 is intended to be a fixed-unit, and therefore not interchangeable. This is obviously a decision Lumin have made to ensure that buyers, like yourself, can enjoy Lumin quality at a price you can afford.
Hence, to answer your question:

As you have already pointed-out, superior Lumin products come with outboard power supplies. It’s a simple case of ‘you pays your money, you takes your choice’. The more you pay, the better the Lumin product you will own.
The D2 is an amazing product, and at a very reasonable price. Why anyone would want to take a soldering-iron to such a quality product, is beyond me. And this comes from someone who has owned both a D1 and an A1.