Lumin P1 released....Oh boy

This looks exciting. But is that a switching power supply? At $10k, I’d expect to see an LPS. I know SPS are getting better. I do wish all the Lumins came with the option to upgrade to an LPS, so warranties are not voided.

It’s 2 x toroidal transformer LMPS one for the analogue side and one for the Digital

I keep coming back to look at the P1…I don’t even remember my strategy anymore. Am I coming back to talk myself out of it or am I coming back to talk myself into it?

2 Likes

dCS use a mixture of SMSP and Linear supplies in their kit. Chord Electronics do too. It’s not the technology per se but how it’s implemented

Tom

Also per Darko - the chip maketh not the DAC. There’s a host of stuff that goes around it that makes just as much if not more difference. Output stages, power regulation etc. If I ever appear to suggest otherwise he edits the hell out of me!! Not that I do, as I agree

Phil

2 Likes

Looks fantastic! Fortunately, I don’t need it :crazy_face:.

1 Like

Looks like quite the competitor for the DCS Bartok…

I’m sure it kicks the Bartok into the long grass.

The DCS Bartok is about $6,000 more ($8,000 with the headphone amp). The Bricasti M3 with headphone out is about $3,000 less. However, neither has an analogue input nor the HDMI pass-through.

I’m still a happy D1 user with an LPS.

Thank you for the truest post I’ve read on this or any site. So, of course, go for it.

2 Likes

I love my U1-Mini and M1, They sound great!
I do have an out of sync issue when playing both at the same time though.

can it convert toslink / usb input source via hdmi output?

No.

P1 digital inputs route to analog only.

P1 network input can route to analog or SPDIF or USB output, but not HDMI.

P1 HDMI ports are for analog output of HDMI audio or passthrough only. I2S is not supported.

1 Like

thanks for the reply, based on my understanding , hdmi port just act as hdmi switch, it doesn’t enhance the signal right?

The only use case for HDMI is to use the Lumin P1 DAC to play TV audio in your 2-channel HiFi setup. In the TV, the audio must be set to PCM (not bitstream). Multichannel audio is not supported.

2 Likes

you are a treasure for lumin group, thanks for responding quickly.
further clarification needed.
If i play 2 channel music via airplay/roon, can it be passed through hdmi out as stereo source?
If i connect external music source via optical toslink input, can it be played via hdmi out as 2.0 stereo source?

thanks thats all i needed to know.

DCT-37 ← this device can convert 2 channel input source such as coax / usb / toslink / hdmi to hdmi 2channel output. i thought p1 could do the same. sorry for misunderstanding.

I would love this on the U1 mini replacement whenever that happens. Without a pre I can’t use my hifi for movie sound anymore.

Would be wonderful. There is there any chance to have something like this on the D2?

I’ve asked Peter @wklie a couple of times about this and he did note the cpu in the D2 and the M1 are the same so coding might be a simpler proposition, but as yet no notice that it’s being considered or even actually possible. But yes it would be a godsend to have that ADC input option.

if theres upgrade option for hdmi audio , that would be excellent. something like oppo 205 offers. that would be killer feature.
“HDMI Audio Jitter Reduction
The UDP-205 features a high-stability, high-precision HDMI clock and a special HDMI audio jitter reduction circuit. This unique design significantly reduces jitter and eliminates timing errors, allowing you to enjoy your music with increased accuracy when you use the audio-only HDMI output port for connecting the audio signal. PCM and DSD signals rely on the HDMI clock directly, so the HDMI audio jitter reduction circuitry can improve the sound quality of PCM and DSD audio. For compressed bitstream audio, it helps to ensure error-free transmission, and may improve the audio performance depending on whether the audio decoder in the A/V processor or receiver uses a synchronous or asynchronous clock scheme.”