Lumin T2 DSD512 MQA Roon Ready Network Player

That’s good to know. I’ll retest it when I go to work tomorrow in my timezone.

Please see an update to this issue here:

Also tested OK in my setup.

Nearly done with the burn-in and my T2 is sounding wonderful. Peter, my monoblocks have RCA inputs. Would it be best to just use the RCA outputs on the T2 or should I use the XLR outputs with RCA connectors for the amplifiers?

1 Like

If your preamp or amp only has RCA input, please use the T2 RCA output instead of going through an ordinary RCA to XLR converter.

1 Like

Just to share that I have a brand new Lumin T2 connected to an ATC CA2 preamp via RCA. The ATC CA2 is feeding a pair of active ATC SCM 50 ASLT. At next opportunity I will move to an ATC SCA2 to connect everything in balanced XLR from the Lumin T2 to the speakers. Without entering into details here, cables and power source have been carefully selected and set up.

I am coming from lower quality in many aspects and changed everything at the same time so I am not able to give any insight in comparison with similar rank of streamer/DAC. My main stereo listening experience was using previously Chromecast Ultra or audio to Onkyo TX- NR3030 as preamp to Atoll AM200 driving Focal Aria 926.

As you can judge from my ATC preamp/active speakers, I am a big fan of transparent system, without any agressivity though.

My room is acoustically treated but I still need to optimize. Listening and speakers position is now set to my preference (no toe-in with huge sound stage).

On my old system I made some quick test between Chromecast audio/ Bluesound Node 2/ Lumin T2. The Lumin T2 gave me overall the most enjoyable experience. I may do some further comparative testing in future but for now I just want to enjoy my system.

I would like to share one of the main reason I have chosen the Lumin T2 in this time where buying equipment without being able to listen to them in your final environment is becoming very common. I strongly believe that companies have certain strength and weakness. The mother company from Lumin is Pixel Magic Systems Ltd. For me there is a lot of coherence in their industrial approach and it sounds logical Lumin are one of the best placed to make great streamer/DAC. I feel certain companies are stretching their capabilities in willing to cover technologies they don’t master. I would not go buy products from them. Looks to me that Lumin is spot on in their know-how vs product positionning.

The others reasons I went for the Lumin T2 are (from web search as I was not able to compare myself):

• retain most audio quality with optimized cost vs the X1 model
  • analog style of reproduction whilst very defined
  • very recent Streamer/DAC released not so long ago with most necessary digital compatibility features.
  • I could afford it

I like certain choices they have made, for instance no wifi connection, so stability and sound quality first through ethernet cable.

The screen is pretty readable from far, and the fact that the screen is not displaying the album cover is actually a plus for me. Like this I am (a bit) less frustrated when playing albums without album covers! The text is also more readable because of this: more space for the text! I believe the screens displaying full colors may bring also some interferences.

As you see, small things and big things in favor of the Lumin T2 on my humble point of view.

I am using upsampling at maximum with Roon and enjoying my time.

3 Likes

Just to share that I have made a small test to connect the lumin T2 directly in balanced XLR to my ATC SCM50 ASLT and the sound quality was not as good as with the ATC CA2 in between even that it is in RCA.

This is an example that sometime more is better than less.

I believe this is highly due to my active speakers that are demanding in terms of input.

The output impedance of the CA2 is 10 Ohms so in XLR.

The Lumin T2 is 20 Ohms in XLR so not far off.

So I don’t get from where it come really but I did prefer the path through the CA2.

Thanks for sharing your test result. This illustrates the pursuit of SQ is often complicated by real results that may not be intuitive, and in certain cases may even contradict simple theories that many people accept. Your finding probably relates to the debate of active vs passive pre and analog vs digital volume. You’ll find interesting discussions of whether an active pre is good or needed for an ATC active speaker in other forums.

Note that when using Lumin XLR output, it’s best to disconnect its RCA output, and vice-versa.

1 Like

Lumin T2 review by SoundStage! simplifi:
https://www.soundstagesimplifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/103-lumin-t2-network-music-player

2 Likes

I have upgraded from the ATC CA2 to ATC SCA2 preamp. So now I have a fully balanced route from the T2 to my active speakers ATC SCM50 ASLT.

The SCA2 is a step up vs the CA2 in terms of sound quality, so enjoying even more the capability of the Lumin T2!

2 Likes

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000168 EndHTML:0000003963 StartFragment:0000000435 EndFragment:0000003946

As a new Lumin T2 owner I would like to share my experience.

Live is full of changes and if you are lucky enough you can make one more. Mine was to get a new audio experience. To cut the chase, the road to Roon lead me past Lumin. Ended up demoing the D2 with sBooster using Tidal only. Was able to compare it with my Rega Sarturn R playing CD. Rega had more body and bit more volume. I felt(literally) the bass is more present with the Rega and it seems to show a bit more detail. Even after adjusting the volume I am not willing to admit the volume boost tricked me into that.

My main demo was with the D2 and I liked it. But only while comparing with the Rega (although for a short while) to me it felt like a disappointment if this was the upgrade I would invest in. Those devices are in the same price range.

Now I can compare the T2 with the Rega Saturn R, the T2 breaks open sound and makes music come to live on another level. To my ears this is a big step up. The volume boost of the T2 is significantly bigger compared to between the Rega and the D2. The T2 has more volume. Adjusting the volume using the Rega makes even more clear the T2 has more detail, depth, instrument placement and the (my) experience music gets uncovered. I keep getting wow moments.

Out of the box, the sound is already great. Now at 1,5 week burning in I am not sure if I can here more change happening, but I stick with the advise from my dealer and the advise I read here. When listening music every minute of the day I can, how sharp can my hearing still be to pick change up?

My 14/24 is almost over and maybe give it a few days more burning in. Because I can lol.

I still have to get used to the Lumin app and have slight adjusting problems after using Roon and of course miss some options and features Roon offers, but that’s why I use Roon. Lumin app does work good, just a different handling. To configure the T2 with the app is easy.

To be honest I do not hear difference between Roon and Lumin app when streaming Tidal native.

I let Lumin do all the MQA handling. Am not sure if I will gain anything letting Roon do that work.

I did try to upscale to DSD512 for a short while, but am not sure if this is what I like best all the time. Maybe some music yes and some music no. Plenty of time to experience coming.

Well, I guess it is clear, but for those for whom it is not: I am happy I stepped up to the T2.

2 Likes

Does T2 have a USB output which can be connected to a USB Dac ??

Yes, Lumin T2 / X1 / U1 / U1 MINI can output to a USB DAC.

1 Like

Hi Peter,

Thanks for answering my concern. I also read the link of the Mono and Stereo review of the T2. Indeed its encouraging.
I have a question if you dont mind.
Enclosed an screen shot on the reviewer about using the T1 as a standalone Dac, As music streamer and the 3rd option as standalone streamer /dac.

I;m a bit confuse how the T2 can be used as a stand alone dac as it has no digital input like USB input ?
And then im puzzled between the difference of it as a music streamer (Roon endpoint) and as a standalone streamer dac ?

Kindly clarify for me if I may ask ?

Thanks so much .

Ferdie

I presume it’s referring to accessing a connected USB HDD (standalone) or a streaming service / local Minimserver (streamer) via the Lumin App vs using Roon? Haven’t read the full review though so apologies if I’m missing something obvious.

1 Like

It can be used as a network player with analog output, or network steamer with digital output to another DAC. It cannot be used as a standalone DAC.

I suppose the reviewer had a different definition of a standalone DAC from my definition. I think dhusky’s guess is good.

1 Like

Can’t you run the Subs out of RCA and the Amp out of XLR as they are both active?

If you want to use a subwoofer, I recommend using its high level input, e.g. from REL subwoofer if you’re not using a class D amplifier.

Using both the RCA and XLR analogs outputs are generally not recommended. A few people also ran into ground loop issues.

Thanks Peter, I have some decent Martin Logan subs. My T2 is connected directly into my amp via XRL. If I don’t connect them through the RCA jacks, it looks like I can’t use them. I like the transparency of going from T2 into Amp. Is this Lumin’s preferred connection or do you like a specific preamp that will not change the sound and would accommodate subs? Most preamps seem to change the sound coming out of the T2. Thanks, Tom