Lumin T2 Roon Settings

Hi all, just ordered the T2 and will be using it with Roon.

I am coming from a D2. I was just curious to see what DSD conversion settings people are using (if any). Is still recommended Roon handle it?

Thanks!

If you like DSD sound, you can use Roon to upsample to DSD512 and leave Lumin re-sampling setting to Off. You’ll have to have enough processing power in the Roon Core for DSD512 upsampling though.

In Roon DSP Engine, turn on Parallelize Sigma Delta Modulator.

1 Like

Thanks Peter! Does the T2’s ES9028PRO chip support native DSD512? I ask since I remember reading with the D2 the Wolfson DAC only supported DS64, even though the D2 supported DS128 through processing. It’s hard to find specs on the ESS chip.

Yes DSD512 for Lumin T2 and X1.

Thanks! Awesome, looking forward to trying it out.

Just out of curiosity, what is driving the 384KHz limit on the T2 vs. the 768KHz on the X1 for PCM? I figure both DACs support 768KHz.

Marketing. There are forces to remove features from our lower price products and I feel great that I contributed to having DSD512 feature retained in T2.

3 Likes

Haha, that’s what I figured - guess it’s already getting too close to the X1 in terms of features.

Thanks for the transparency, not to mention helping retain the DSD512 feature! :smiley:

Peter, I just got a T2 and love it. In the set up. What is the best setting for MQA Capabilities and in advanced yes or no for Enable MQA Core Decoder… Thanks, Tom Bacon

3 Likes

MQA Core Decoder should be enabled.

Either “Renderer Only” or “Decoder + Renderer” will work for Lumin T2. You can try both and see which one sounds better to you. One user preferred the SQ of “Renderer Only” on Lumin D2.

Please burn it in for 7x24 for two weeks or more.

Merry Christmas!

1 Like

thanks, it has been burned in and it is the best streamer I have heard
beyond getting into two to three times the cost and then, the difference is
fairly small. I used the Roon defaults, but many users have argued for
letting the T2 do all the MQA decoding. I was just curious what Lumin
recommended.

4 Likes

In terms of 0 and 1, both are the same and yields the same digital output. In terms of processing, letting Roon Core does the MQA Core decoding decreases the processing load on T2 but increases the network traffic (which in turn causes a different kind of processing load). I like to have users’ subjective feedback of whether it actually sounds better or worse.

1 Like

Peter, So what do you think of upsampling for the T2? I have the lumin settings in the app under analog audio Re-sampling all set to Native. In Roon, I have tried up sampling from Native to as high as DSD512. It is difficult to tell which is best. MQA seems to work on its own. Do you have any suggestions as to the best settings in both Lumin App and Roon?

When using Roon, please set Lumin to disable its own re-sampling in Lumin app.

In Roon, you may try both native or DSD512 upsampling via Roon DSP Engine, and see which sounds better to you. This is a preference thing.

Thanks Peter, that’s what I thought and how I have it set up.

Hi Peter, I am also new to T2 and used it for few weeks only and i found the SQ of T2 is so musical and warmth. I would like to know when i do the burn in for such a long period of time, shall I turn off the int. amp and let the T2 run for two weeks?

1 Like

You may standby the amp. Make sure you keep the connections intact.

Thanks Peter! Appreciated!

I suggest creating a playlist with different genres (mix of lossy and lossless tracks, jazz, classical, rap, anything) and keep on repeat. The T2 will open up in a week, it did for me, cheers!

1 Like

Thanks for the idea, I started it last night and created a playlist with different genres from Tidal to play it non stop for a week and see. What are the biggest changes in terms of the SQ before and after it open up in a week?

You’re welcome. Great question. At the end of the day it’s all very subjective and to be honest no set of ears are equal so just wait and you’ll hear the T2 opening up. Please share your feedback with us, cheers!